Dubrovnik- which beach and how to get there?

Thnk you for all of your wealth of information. We did see old town inside and out, found the hole in the wall to go to the great restaurant on the cliffs, this time I want to do something totally different. Can you recommend any private guides who would take us away from the tourist spots?

Sorry I am not allowed to recommend anyone specific, only general information as per cruise critic.

Best you have something very lightweight and folding. Is there any way you can get up a few steps at all? There is the Cabrio bus which is a wonderful 2 hour ride all around the upper part of the old town and into the Lapad area. If not, my suggestion is that you think about hiring a taxi to do the same kind of trip. You will be able to travel into the old town and see most of the sights from the outside, but there are steps into most churches and museums.

My niece has MS and she also uses a chair, just got a new titanium.

She still lives in California but I hope next year....so I've done some checking but not enough.

Please give me some time on this, I need to take a much better look around town. I need to know some specific personal details, please do contact me directly via the blog. Dubrovnik is not a wheelchair friendly town, but I will figure out something.

Thanks, yes it will be a folding wheelchair. I cannot do any steps as I am not able to stand, however, I have pretty good upper arm strength and can transfer into a car or minivan. I emailed a taxi company and they offered a tour of panoramic Dubrovnik, drive and sightseeing in Cavtat and ending with a tour of Old Town Dubrovnik. The tour will be 4 hours for 250 euro ( 4 people). Do you think that is reasonable or is it possible to do a tour on my own?

I know I may not be able to go everywhere but I am a big scenery person so I just want a glimpse of the beautiful country.

Your input is very appreciated. Thanks for everything!:o

Normally Saturday & Sunday are the busiest days for cruisers and August is high, high season. The best news that I can give you is that Dubrovnik has a new ship policy in force, no more than 5 mega cruisers in port on any one day. This is much improved over the difficult June, July & August of last year. Notice I am trying to soften the blow and it's not bad at all.

MSC Armonia with 2199 guests, legend of the Seas with 2050 both in port of Gruz and Costa with 3470 at anchor in the old town. It will be busy so plan your day accordingly. Make sure you download the map from the Dubrovnik tourist bureau.

Dubrovniklady, thanks for your reply. August 19th 2009 is Wednesday, so it may be better than any Saturday & Sunday...

Dubrovniklady, thanks for your reply. August 19th 2009 is Wednesday, so it may be better than any Saturday & Sunday...

The total guest count of 7719 is nothing at all, as last year we had many days with a total count of 30,000. This year the ship are spread out throughout the week which will make it easier for guests and locals to reach the old town.

I still highly recommend downloading the town map, which will give you a important information regarding the location of the Gruz port and the old town. It also has most of the important sights, churches, museums and entrances to the city walls.

By the way, August is hot, hot, hot and humid....

Hi Dubrovniktravelady,

I have been looking at at a bar named Gradska Skavana-it looks very nice,overlooking the harbour.It looks a very nice place for lunch.

Not sure how far this is from the ship. Have you eaten there.

Thanks in advance.

Taffygirl

Gradska kavana (City caffe - thanks to our Dubrovnik guide Denis I remembered) is a very nice place for lunch (we had a light lunch there and enjoyed in a beautiful view ....):)

Gradska Kavana is the people watching café located on the inside of the city walls, overlooking Sveti Vlaho Church. They only serve drinks and pastry and it's a wonderful place to meet. In the same building, on the outside of the walls, are 2 restaurants with the sea view and this is where food is served. It's rather rare you will find many locals eating in either of these two places, as their prices are too high and food is average. I have a theory about most sea view restaurants, you're paying only for the view. As lunch is our main meal of the day, we are mostly at home for that meal. Most of the time for us to eat in restaurants, it would be for a light supper, later at night. Some of the best small konabas are located on side streets, no view, good prices and local food. Many times when some guides refer guests to certain restaurants, the guide is getting a kick back. Good Dalmatian food usually is very fresh fish, bought early in the morning. I always notice which of the chefs are shopping at the green market at 7AM and buying fish from our local fisherman, not from a delivery truck. That is how I find good places to enjoy my favorite dish, grilled baby Adriatic squid which turns pink when cooked correctly.

Gradska Kavana is the people watching café located on the inside of the city walls, overlooking Sveti Vlaho Church. They only serve drinks and pastry and it's a wonderful place to meet. In the same building, on the outside of the walls, are 2 restaurants with the sea view and this is where food is served. It's rather rare you will find many locals eating in either of these two places, as their prices are too high and food is average. I have a theory about most sea view restaurants, you're paying only for the view. As lunch is our main meal of the day, we are mostly at home for that meal. Most of the time for us to eat in restaurants, it would be for a light supper, later at night. Some of the best small konabas are located on side streets, no view, good prices and local food. Many times when some guides refer guests to certain restaurants, the guide is getting a kick back. Good Dalmatian food usually is very fresh fish, bought early in the morning. I always notice which of the chefs are shopping at the green market at 7AM and buying fish from our local fisherman, not from a delivery truck. That is how I find good places to enjoy my favorite dish, grilled baby Adriatic squid which turns pink when cooked correctly.

Hello, my favorite Dubrovniklady. I definitely want to have some of that grilled baby Adriatic squid. :p That will be first on my list to try.

Judy

Hello, my favorite Dubrovniklady. I definitely want to have some of that grilled baby Adriatic squid. :p That will be first on my list to try.

Judy

My favorite DC Legalady:

Lunch at Nava, small side street opposite the bell tower of Mala Brac Church. Nana is the owner, she will take very good care of you I guarantee. She doesn't even ask me what I wish to order, just makes it for me. She is a local who is at the green market, every morning buying fresh vegetables and fruit. There is always a minimum of 4 whole squid on my plate, along with a bottle of family homemade wine...No sea view who cares.

Orhan is my favorite for "Janjetina ispod Peke" better known as lamb under the lid. Not only do they have a sea view, there is also the view of Fort Lovrijenac and Fort Bokar and Pile Bay. Lovely places, good food and not overly priced.

See you soon.

My favorite DC Legalady:

Lunch at Nava, small side street opposite the bell tower of Mala Brac Church. Nana is the owner, she will take very good care of you I guarantee. She doesn't even ask me what I wish to order, just makes it for me. She is a local who is at the green market, every morning buying fresh vegetables and fruit. There is always a minimum of 4 whole squid on my plate, along with a bottle of family homemade wine...No sea view who cares.

Orhan is my favorite for "Janjetina ispod Peke" better known as lamb under the lid. Not only do they have a sea view, there is also the view of Fort Lovrijenac and Fort Bokar and Pile Bay. Lovely places, good food and not overly priced.

See you soon.

Oooh choices choices!! I think Gradska Kavana for coffee , cakes and view and Nava for delicious fresh fish or lamb (love both).

Fish or lamb--lamb or fish :confused: oh well I have until july to make up my mind:).

Thank you Dubrovniktravellady.

Taffygirl

Dear Duvrobinklady,

You share wonderful advise, thank you. I would like to know if you can point me in the direction on how to rent a boat with driver to cruise around the island. We will be in port in July and I understand the views are wonderful.

Thanks

Oooh choices choices!! I think Gradska Kavana for coffee , cakes and view and Nava for delicious fresh fish or lamb (love both).

Fish or lamb--lamb or fish :confused: oh well I have until july to make up my mind:).

Thank you Dubrovniktravellady.

Taffygirl

Taffygirl: Seafood at Nava only. She does not have the open air fire pit to cook the lamb under the lid, which takes hours and hours. Orhan serves lamb, but one must order this dish 24 hours in advance....

Dear Duvrobinklady,

You share wonderful advise, thank you. I would like to know if you can point me in the direction on how to rent a boat with driver to cruise around the island. We will be in port in July and I understand the views are wonderful.

Thanks

Your cruise ship will more than likely be docked in the new port of Gruz. Lokrum is an island just outside the old port in the old town, which is a 15 minute ferry ride. Lokrum has much history and some lovely old sights to visit, you could spend several hours.

Another choice is the Elefiti islands, which are near to the Gruz harbor. There are several small ferry boats which will take you over to one, two or three of the islands. Renting a private charter may cost more than you expect. None of the smaller boats are in the water yet, it's too early and too cold here. Nothing is happening until 01 May, we're still hibernating from winter.

When will you be arriving in Dubrovnik?

General information regarding the islands on the Dalmatian coast. Beginning from Istria moving south to Dubrovnik, there are 1185 islands and only 60 of them are inhabited. Many are just small tiny bits with a lighthouse, some are just small rocks. Islands become fewer as one get closer to Dubrovnik.

It is the entire Dalmatian coastline, islands and mainland, which are amazing. As I've mentioned before, the only way to visit is by sea, but not on a mega cruiser. Small ship cruising is the only way you'll get the best of the coastline.

Take the time to visit Croatia, make a couple of trips and take time to see the country. How could anyone come to Croatia and not visit Plitvice Lakes, you're are missing one of the most incredible sights in Europe.

The Croatian tourist bureau's closes it's ad with "See the Mediterranean as it once was." It's true, the coast doesn't have a MacDonald's and I pray we never do.

One can't see anything in one short day with such limited hours. I invite you to come again and see why I choose to move from California to Croatia...it's magical.

Taffygirl: Seafood at Nava only. She does not have the open air fire pit to cook the lamb under the lid, which takes hours and hours. Orhan serves lamb, but one must order this dish 24 hours in advance....

Hi Dubrovniktravelady,

will definitely go to Nava for the seafood.I am sure it will taste wonderful!

Thanks again.

Taffygirl

Dear Dubrovniklady,

Thanks again for that information. My family and I will be arriving in July, 2009. I hope by then the smaller boats are in the water. Do you have an idea about how much a small boat may cost? Also where do we go to find these boats?

Thanks,

Bernadette

Dear Dubrovniklady,

Thanks again for that information. My family and I will be arriving in July, 2009. I hope by then the smaller boats are in the water. Do you have an idea about how much a small boat may cost? Also where do we go to find these boats?

Thanks,

Bernadette

All the boats will begin 01 May for the season. July is high season and it will be hot and humid. The Oosterdam will arrive in Dubrovnik on 16 July from 0700 until 1600 docked at the Gruz. You should get off the ship as quickly as possible and make your way into Stari Grad (old town). If you're going to walk the wall, you will need good shoes, camera, water and a sun hat.

If you choose to visit the Elefiti islands, it could be an all day event. For cruisers, I would recommend taking the small ferry to Lokrum after you've visited Stari Grad (old town). Lokrum is a wonderful natural preserve located just across the channel from the old port, a 15 minute ride. It's a wonderful place, filled with peacocks, a place we call dead water, and many wonderful sights.

Your time in Dubrovnik is limited, there is so much to see and one must stop for a soft drink, beer or coffee and pastry...Take your time and enjoy my home.

• 3 weeks later...

Take the time to visit Croatia, make a couple of trips and take time to see the country. How could anyone come to Croatia and not visit Plitvice Lakes, you're are missing one of the most incredible sights in Europe.

Thank you so much for your help. Is it possible to get to the Plitvice Lakes area from Split when one is docked from 8 am to 9 pm?

Thank you so much for your help. Is it possible to get to the Plitvice Lakes area from Split when one is docked from 8 am to 9 pm?

Plitvice Lakes is a destination which requires an overnight stay. One should not waste much of your day traveling by bus or car, the time should be spent visiting the lakes. There are no words which can describe this wonder, they are captivating, gorgeous, fabulous and breathtaking...

The Dalmatian coast, Istria and Plitvice, take 2 to 3 weeks or more than one trip to see this magical destination.

Archived