Can we bring wine onboard?

vacation lover

I've had conflicting information on whether we can bring our own wine onboard and into the dining rooms. One CC poster said there was a $15 corkage fee. Another said absolutely no alcohol can be brought onboard. Does anyone have any experience one way or the other. We sail to South America on the Sun on Mar. 29th. Thanks!

If you have your wine in your carry on, it is as you check in.

If you have it in your checked luggage, it will be assessed after you are on board and have been called to a holding area ("naughty room") for that kind of luggage.

Once paid, the bottles will have a sticker on them and they are OK everwhere on the ship.

Just got off the March 1 BA to Valp sailing of the Sun. What an amazing trip. Yes you can buy wine at grocery stores in all the ports. Nice wine is between $2 and $4 per bottle. When you board the ship they will charge you $15 per bottle. We found that was still a better deal than what was charged on board. Hint... boxed wine isn't caught on the xrays. They are looking for bottles. Same goes for cans of beer.

Have a fabulous trip. Here's a wildlife hint... the penguins at Ottway sound have already left for the seaon. You may find thats the case in most areas so pick your tours carefully.

I didn't know you could buy wine in port and still only pay the $15.00 corkage. That's good info, thanks. Learn something new every day.

Funny, I read Nice wine and thought Nice, France wine, not nice wine. Just goes to show ya...:p

I really do appreciate knowing your tip, thank you much:).

Yes you can buy wine at grocery stores in all the ports. Nice wine is between $2 and $4 per bottle. When you board the ship they will charge you $15 per bottle. We found that was still a better deal than what was charged on board.

thx for the info. See, this is what we need...UP 2 DATE info from folks off RECENT sailings. I read back a ways that you could not buy wine in ports and bring back to ship. Again, thx for this info.

thx for the info. See, this is what we need...UP 2 DATE info from folks off RECENT sailings. I read back a ways that you could not buy wine in ports and bring back to ship. Again, thx for this info.

Huh.. I've never read that in the last 2 years. Guess I missed those posts.

Someone asked when you pay the corkage. It's at the time of boarding, right after you are screened. And the cheapest wine on board may be $22, but that's pre-tip, so it would actually be $25.30. I didn't see a $22 bottle of wine available on our last 2 NCL cruises. Good to know it's available.

that statement is true and not true....

No, you can not buy wine and just bring it back. BUT - they do allow you to bring it on if you pay the corkage. In reality, it seems to be a bit lax in some ports compared to others.

And you can not bring hard stuff on - but then again you can. They just hold it for you until the end of the cruise. Ports where people buy LOTS of hard stuff is where they check bags a bit better.

So, you need the whole story. I doubt you could find a posting ANYWHERE on this board saying you could NOT bring wine at all.

that statement is true and not true....

No, you can not buy wine and just bring it back. BUT - they do allow you to bring it on if you pay the corkage. In reality, it seems to be a bit lax in some ports compared to others.

And you can not bring hard stuff on - but then again you can. They just hold it for you until the end of the cruise. Ports where people buy LOTS of hard stuff is where they check bags a bit better.

So, you need the whole story. I doubt you could find a posting ANYWHERE on this board saying you could NOT bring wine at all.

yes, thanks for clearing that up. I get confused by all the do's and don'ts / wills and won'ts. I think I understand a little better now...bring it back and keep it with a fee OR bring it back and have them hold it til the end. I also remember reading where someone got theirs back the last night of the cruise and they drank it freely without charge. Maybe that's not true either. Anyway, thx for some clarity

Yes, you may bring wine aboard.

Note to all posters - this is the kind of post that causes problems.

The above statement is true, sort of. You can bring wine aboard - BUT you then have to pay the $15 corkage fee. You can not bring box wine (officially) aboard.

As to an earlier post about people getting their hard booze (or unpaid wine) back on the last night. Yes, that is the normal procedure. I always wonder if some of those folks then party a bit harder that last night with their new found stash!

Thanks, but that stinks if you do not use it on board...guess there is no refund!

That is true--no refund. I thought I was being smart and brought two large bottles of wine. Had to pay $30 a piece to get them on board. Then, when we got to our room, we realized that friends had sent us wine(s) and we had ordered the Anniversary package with wine. When we didnt drink one of the $30 corkage fee bottles of wine, we couldnt get that refunded.

If I had been a CC reader back then, I would have known to expect double the corkage fee on the large bottles of wine. I think that I paid more for the corkage fee than I did for the bottle of wine. Also, if we had been CC cruisers back then we would of had a group to drink all of that wine. :D

That is true--no refund. I thought I was being smart and brought two large bottles of wine. Had to pay $30 a piece to get them on board. Then, when we got to our room, we realized that friends had sent us wine(s) and we had ordered the Anniversary package with wine. When we didnt drink one of the $30 corkage fee bottles of wine, we couldnt get that refunded.

If I had been a CC reader back then, I would have known to expect double the corkage fee on the large bottles of wine. I think that I paid more for the corkage fee than I did for the bottle of wine. Also, if we had been CC cruisers back then we would of had a group to drink all of that wine. :D

If you take your unopened bottle to the reception on the last day with your receipt, they'll refund your money. :)

If you take your unopened bottle to the reception on the last day with your receipt, they'll refund your money. :)

I tried that (in 2006) and couldnt talk them into a refund. I guess it depends on who you get at the reception desk or they may have changed their policy.

Overall, unless it is a bottle that you love, I think its easier just to buy it on the ship.

I tried that (in 2006) and couldnt talk them into a refund. I guess it depends on who you get at the reception desk or they may have changed their policy.

Overall, unless it is a bottle that you love, I think its easier just to buy it on the ship.

I've read about the refunds in the last year, but you could very well be right, it may depend on who ya get at the desk.

I also agree with you, unless it's a really good bottle of wine, it's not worth the hassle and the weight of carrying on your own... Although we still do. :D We're as cheap as the wine we drink. LOL

Sometimes far better than the premium wine :) With NCL we prefer to bring our own wine only if we have been able to get a better deal than on the ship. Adding the $15 corkage fee still brings it below the ship price. Least expensive bottle on the 2008 Wine List is $24; La Terre is the house wine and one of the better choices ($24 last November) if you drink a Merlot.

We read on a thread that Majesty had a wine package: buy 6, get one free -- anyone know if this still exists? We cruise May 2nd and would love to know.

Happy Cruisin . . .

About the boxed wine--what will happen if I have a small box of wine in my carry on. I was expecting it to be ignored or at worse be charged the $15 corkage fee. But one of the previous posts said box wine is not allowed at all.???

Archived