mapman_2004

Is it okay to hold a deckchair?  

366 members have voted

1. 1. Is it okay to hold a deckchair?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but only for less than 15 minutes

• Administrators
I just got home from the 3/13/09 sailing of the Miracle. It was a terrible situation with the poolside lounges, people would put a towel or tie two chairs together with one towel and almost every downstairs/poolside chair was taken by 7:30 AM!!! Not with people, with towels and bottles of lotion and even at noon or later, those chairs were still sitting there unused. It made me very upset because I really like to be close to the pool to take a quick dip and because I had to go upstairs, it was a huge production every time I wanted to just jump in the pool, and those empty chairs just sat there because of selfish, entitled people. I wish Carnival would enforce their policy, because they did not, ever, do anything about it! I understand people have kids, etc., you can tell when someone is actually using the chair, there is real stuff, shoes, etc. I don't care if someone leaves for an hour and comes back, even, I am talking about holding a chair hostage from 6 am all day long just in case someone decides to drop by the pool area. It is really rude and just like everyone has been saying, indicative of the uncooperative attitudes people have now. People have moved chairs to block ingress and egress and block your sun or not allow you room to reach in between chairs for your drink. If people would just be the tiniest bit flexible and cooperative, it would make the whole experience a lot more enjoyable.[/quote]

THAT would require people to realize that no matter WHAT mommy and daddy told you, the world does NOT revolve around you. :(

THAT would require people to realize that no matter WHAT mommy and daddy told you, the world does NOT revolve around you. :(
Now wouldn't that be novel to actually realize there are 'other' people on the ship who ALSO paid for their cruise as well???:rolleyes::D

Who woulda' thought...???:p

That'd be me.

Not sure about entitlement, but nobody has the right to move my stuff if I get caught in line and spend 35 minutes on the slide because my little one wanted to go on the slide, or one of my kids had an "emergency" and I had to run him/her to the cabin to change clothes. Not sure if you have kids, but ess like this happens. It is their vacation too, and sometimes the line does not go down on the slide. I wonder how saying "Sorry kids, some lady on Cruise Critic said we have to come back later" would go over. ;) :D

As Dan and others have said, the real culprits here are the ones that are blatantly holding chairs for extended periods.

I've yet to be on a cruise where the line was greater than 30 minutes long all day long. Now, if you want to do the slide during prime time, then yeah, you may have to give up that prized chair by the pool (priorities, you know). So, if someone is gone during prime time and are gone later than 30 minutes that is allowed by Carnival then yes, I'm moving stuff. Like another pointed out, I'd direct the whiner to Carnival security so they could report I "took a chair" that was empty >30 minutes and see if security asks me to move. Although, as a side note I've yet to go on a cruise where there were no chairs to be found anywhere on the ship--so in reality, this would only be relevant to me if I was on a cruise and every single chair on the ship was taken.

Just as I pointed out to the poster who said they need to sit by the pool so their kids could swim. Sometimes, we have to prioritize our kids over a prime location if we are going to take them to begin with. It's perferctly ok to sit somewhere away from the pool and actually walk them over to the pool to swim, staying with them while they do. And yes, I have kids. Two of them. I've traveled one of two ways since birthing them 1) take them with me and realize that MY comforts must come after that of the children as they as totally dependent on me as their parent to get their needs met, including fun, or 2) leave them at home with family so that I don't have to go out of my way during certain vacations and can go and do as I want. I don't understand people who worry about their own comfort when they are on vacation with their kids. But that is just me.

I'm a Mom to 6 so I think I qualify to answer that statement LOL

If I had to go back to the room I would take my stuff with me. If we went to eat at the buffet I'd take my things. The only time i would leave my items would be if for a quick bathroom trip or to grab a bottle of water from the bar on the deck.

Those scenarios are if the area is busy and I know people are wanting seats. If it's half empty and there are plenty of chairs around I may not worry about it. To me it's just considerate to take your items when you are leaving the area for more than a few minutes. Wether there is a rule that states I have to or not.

I'm really, really glad to see that someone gets it. Thank you for posting poobear. Maybe you should write a book, "How To Parent Without Being an Azz About It."

We have never had a problem with chairs. We always seek out areas with less confusion and more peaceful. The only time I have saved a chair was for my husband, who was just gone for a few minutes. Someone wanted more chairs where they were sitting and they didn't want to walk a little further to get empty ones. That also happened to be on debark day and not many ppl on the ship yet...duh. The only place I really see the chair hogs is near the pool area and most of them never get wet!

If you are saving or holding a chair, and it looks "lived in", then I will leave it alone. If it has that classic chair saver look of a flip flop, banana, one bottle of sunscreen, etc then I will consider it mine. No counting minutes, no waiting and seeing if they come, it is all mine.

I agree.

If you are saving or holding a chair, and it looks "lived in", then I will leave it alone. If it has that classic chair saver look of a flip flop, banana, one bottle of sunscreen, etc then I will consider it mine. No counting minutes, no waiting and seeing if they come, it is all mine.

So you would remove my towel and book and take my chair if I got up to go to the restroom? How can you tell if it is 'lived in'? I wouldn't have anything else (a bag, etc.) with me and I would be wearing my sandals. That would be rude. So, I should just pee right there next to my chair?

As a solo cruiser who is going to hold my seat. Gosh...I can't go get a burger...go tinkle...go back to the cabin quick because I forgot my suntan lotion.......????

This poll is skewed and useless in my opinion...Just a way to stir things up....

I look at it this way. Either your butt is in the seat, or it is not. If you need to use the restroom, you should risk the loss of your seat. If everyone followed this, there would be plenty of seats at almost all times and far fewer threads about it. Leaving things on a chair all day is just selfish. But I want a seat next to the pool. But I only went to the bathroom. But I went to get a quick bite. What about everyone else? Get over yourself and have some courtesy.

Not that I'm opinionated...

So you would remove my towel and book and take my chair if I got up to go to the restroom? How can you tell if it is 'lived in'? I wouldn't have anything else (a bag, etc.) with me and I would be wearing my sandals. That would be rude. So, I should just pee right there next to my chair?

Let's see...How do you tell if a chair is saved? Normally the power of observation works really well. Plus the power of speech works when you ask the people next to the empty seat if anyone has been there. I can't imagine you need someone to tell you what a saved chair looks like compared to a chair being occupied.

IMO your comment about urinating is crude.

I have never had any issues finding a chair...

I went to a hotel that had this problem...I just tipped the hotel staff to remove the sandal from one chair and the banana from the other and place about two chairs down...3 hours later the people had no idea they were moved

I believe that people are generally rude and inconsiderate who "save" chairs and on my vacations I choose to work around them

...I just tipped the hotel staff to remove the sandal from one chair and the banana from the other and place about two chairs down...

Okay, you actually paid someone to move a flip flop and a banana? Down a few chairs? Seriously - why not move them yourself?:confused:

Archived