Newbie:embark in Vancouver,how much time to allow

sallygal2

Hello, Newbie here. Hubby & I arrive in Vancouver disembarking from a Royal Carribean Lines cruise on Sept 11, 2009 at 7:00 am. What is the earliest time of a flight that I can consider from the Vancouver airport.?? Do we have to clear Immigrations in Canada or when we reach a US city?? Thanks.

You will go through Canadian immigration at the pier and then US immigration at the airport before you board your US bound flight. If you can use US Direct, then a flight after 11:30 should be okay. Otherwise book after 1pm.

I agree.

US Direct will take you into a central location in the airport.

If you have to go through US immigration you will enter the main terminal and process through all of the airline and security lines then you have a hike to your gate unless you are on a Canadian or foreign airline. You can google a map of the airport.

The time frame already given will easily work.

Word f warning:

Flying on 11 Sept. can be interesting. Nutzoids and copy cats find this a fun day to call in bomb threats to airlines and airports, so there is a considerably better than average chance of security-related delays.

Thanks to all that answered my request. I know Sept.11 is a bad memory for all. But it is the day I return...What is US Direct?? Told you I was a Newbie.

US Direct is a service that allows you to go to/from the port without entering Canada. You have to purchase the cruise ship transfer. You go DIRECTLY in a sealed bus from the ship to an special entrance at the airport. Just like my freight that crosses US borders, you are essentially riding "in bond" and don't have to clear immigration and customs. It MUST be available both with your ship and with your airline. NOT all flights nor ships participate.

Here's some more info: http://www.yvr.ca/guide/around/onboard/

Archived