Alaska Cruising Comments please

where2next4me

I am looking to book Alaska & the Rockies Cruise and tour on Norwegian Sun in late August. Has anyone done this itinerary before any tips comments welcome.

What the weather like at this time of year? We have only done Med and Caribbean Cruises before. The package from the UK includes a coach tour of the rockies before the Cruise someone told me its best to do a train rockie tour first but NCL dont offer this option.

Are NCL the best or do others do it better?

I am looking to book Alaska & the Rockies Cruise and tour on Norwegian Sun in late August. Has anyone done this itinerary before any tips comments welcome.

What the weather like at this time of year? We have only done Med and Caribbean Cruises before. The package from the UK includes a coach tour of the rockies before the Cruise someone told me its best to do a train rockie tour first but NCL dont offer this option.

Are NCL the best or do others do it better?

Late August is a great time to go to Alaska. Summer is winding down there, but it will still be lovely.

I really would also suggest you do the land tour part first -- it can be quite exhausting..so then you board the ship and have that lovely time just watchin scenery go by!

I think if I were only doing one cruise to Alaska, I'd be sure to book an itinerary that included Glacier Bay. Princess Cruises have been in Alaska for many many years and do a lovely job. We've cruised twice to Alaska on Princes and would love to go again.

Check out the "Alaska" forum under "Ports of Call" -- do some reading, there is a LOT of info there, and many knowledgeable posters who are happy to help.

IIRC, both HAL and Princess do the Rocky Mountain train tour. Though you can do it yourself thru Rocky Mountaineer -- fly into Calgary, catch the RM bus to Banff (I think that's how they do it), spend a night in Banff, take the RM through the Rockies to Vancouver, spend a day in Vcr, then board your ship. If you need help with western Canada, there are a number of posters who live there (me included!)

• 2 weeks later...

June/July is probably the best time to come here to Alaska. August is more likely to have rain, . Late May is nice too, the leaves come out around Mother's Day and it just bursts with green after that.

Archived