Redoubt is Blowing it's top.

ARRTrain

I have TruTravel insurance, and, yes, the policy says it will only cover delayed or cancelled flights due to "weather." they will, however, cover you if your accomodations are uninhabitable due to "natural disaster," but I seriously doubt that a little volcanic ash will render any Alaskan hotels to be uninhabitable.

If Redoubt keeps erupting during the next few months, would there be a real possibility of the cruise lines changing their itineraries to miss Whittier? How will passengers fly in or out of Anchorage if the eruptions continue through the cruising season?

If Redoubt keeps erupting during the next few months, would there be a real possibility of the cruise lines changing their itineraries to miss Whittier? How will passengers fly in or out of Anchorage if the eruptions continue through the cruising season?

No that won't happen. I think we have like 24 active volcanos, it's just all in the news that one of them happens to be in Southcentral the most populated area of Alaska this time. Last year it was actually one of them down in the Aleutians (which is hundred of miles away from Anchorage).

Not a good business policy just to change something because it might happen. If that was the case they wouldn't sail at all during hurricane season.

Susan :)

I have travel insurance through Princess... Berkely...

They, too, consider it a natural disaster not weather related.

But, the policy also allows a 100% cruise credit for canceling for "any reason".

As previously stated... it's all in the details...

I plan to watch how many times the flight I have booked into Anchorage is canceled in the upcoming weeks and make a decision a couple of days prior to departure. Should be nothing to worry about, but could be something... we just don't know at this point.

B

I also have Berkley thru Costco.

The young man I spoke with today, said it was weather. But then he also said it was all in how the cruise line/airline writes it up. but yes..we do have 100% coverage! My concern was the Ash making it difficult to breath (I have Asthma)..he said with a Doctors note there would be no problem.

I am going to keep positive thoughts...buy a good face mask, and have a great time!:D

No that won't happen. I think we have like 24 active volcanos, it's just all in the news that one of them happens to be in Southcentral the most populated area of Alaska this time. Last year it was actually one of them down in the Aleutians (which is hundred of miles away from Anchorage).

Not a good business policy just to change something because it might happen. If that was the case they wouldn't sail at all during hurricane season.

Susan :)

Yes, but during hurricane season, if there is a hurricane crossing your ports of call, the cruise line is going to skip those ports or reroute your itinerary entirely. If planes cannot fly in or out of Anchorage, would the cruise line hold the ship in Whittier or return South to a clear port to disembark/embark passengers?

Yes, but during hurricane season, if there is a hurricane crossing your ports of call, the cruise line is going to skip those ports or reroute your itinerary entirely. If planes cannot fly in or out of Anchorage, would the cruise line hold the ship in Whittier or return South to a clear port to disembark/embark passengers?

The problem being with volcanos, is its a day by day event or sometimes an hour by hour. Redoubt started acting up on 1/28/09 (more earthquake activity) and didn't have an eruption until this past Sunday, March 3/22/09. They aren't going to change anything just because something might happen, because there is no way you know if it's going to happen or not.

Susan in Anchorage :)

The problem being with volcanos, is its a day by day event or sometimes an hour by hour. Redoubt started acting up on 1/28/09 (more earthquake activity) and didn't have an eruption until this past Sunday, March 3/22/09. They aren't going to change anything just because something might happen, because there is no way you know if it's going to happen or not.

Ok Susan, let's bring it closer to home. I'm on my cruise. Redoubt is erupting and throwing ash. Have other ships avoided Whittier during the eruptions? Could we be redirected? Has it happened before with ships in port?

Ok Susan, let's bring it closer to home. I'm on my cruise. Redoubt is erupting and throwing ash. Have other ships avoided Whittier during the eruptions? Could we be redirected? Has it happened before with ships in port?

Well to my knowledge (that would be local TV news and newspaper) there has never been any cruise ships in the Southcentral area rerouted because of volcanos and I've lived here this time for almost 26 years (the two other times we came and went because of the military).

Last year I do remember when the one going off in the Aleutians (that's hundreds of miles away from here) affected some cruise ship passengers but it was because their planes (either coming or going) got cancelled but no ships affected.

Could they reroute the ship, sure, would they I don't know. The only thing I could say is the other ports airports (Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, Hoonah, etc.) could not handle this traffic. You'd be sitting days in some of those airports trying to get out. And as it is basically the only major airline that flies into these airports is Alaska. So if you weren't on Alaska, not quite sure how they would handle it. And most of the airlines I know don't consider this a covered event (i.e., if you get stranded at an airport because of an eruption they aren't responsible for anything - meal vouchers, hotel rooms, etc.)

Well to my knowledge (that would be local TV news and newspaper) there has never been any cruise ships in the Southcentral area rerouted because of volcanos and I've lived here this time for almost 26 years (the two other times we came and went because of the military).

Last year I do remember when the one going off in the Aleutians (that's hundreds of miles away from here) affected some cruise ship passengers but it was because their planes (either coming or going) got cancelled but no ships affected.

Could they reroute the ship, sure, would they I don't know. The only thing I could say is the other ports airports (Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, Hoonah, etc.) could not handle this traffic. You'd be sitting days in some of those airports trying to get out. And as it is basically the only major airline that flies into these airports is Alaska. So if you weren't on Alaska, not quite sure how they would handle it. And most of the airlines I know don't consider this a covered event (i.e., if you get stranded at an airport because of an eruption they aren't responsible for anything - meal vouchers, hotel rooms, etc.)

Thanks Susan.:) Luckily, we are booked on Alaska Air, so it sounds like we are in good hands as far as any flight problems. I imagine that the worst scenario would be that we'd be stuck in the Anchorage airport for a while. Can we come visit you if we get stuck?;)

Thanks Susan.:) Luckily, we are booked on Alaska Air, so it sounds like we are in good hands as far as any flight problems. I imagine that the worst scenario would be that we'd be stuck in the Anchorage airport for a while. Can we come visit you if we get stuck?;)

Sure no problem, I only live 7 stoplights from there ;):D

When the mountain last erupted, the ships still came into Whittier. Anchorage and Whittier got covered in ash. The airport had delays and did not have any flights after dark for a few days.

These last few eruptions the airport stayed open, but a few airlines decided not to fly. The ash cloud did not go over Anch., but some city officials are saying Anchorage got a little ash on their air quality equipment.

AKSusan: I thought I read that Redoubt was SW 125 miles from Anchorage. Is that not right? What's wrong with a little angry mountain anyway? (Love all of your posts....thanks so much from me)

It is about that from here. It's not the dang volcano itself it's the stupid ash (bad, bad, yucky stuff) it puts out and then according to the wind patterns (both lower and higher levels) where it goes. Right now the winds have shifted so if it does a higher elevation blow then it's coming straight for us.

Even though I've lived here for years and at various times in my life I just did learn something new about Redoubt, guess I was listening to the news at the right time, but it doesn't do lava it does hot mud.

2009-03-26 09:38:42

A major explosive event occurred at 09:24 AKDT. National Weather Service reports the cloud height to be at least 65,000 ft above sea level. Refer to the NWS Redoubt Coordination web page (http://pafc.arh.noaa.gov/volcano.php ) for latest cloud information.

Ashfall Advisory for western Kenai Peninsula, including Kenai, Soldotna, Homer and Cooper Landing.

So far it's still missing us.

Does Seward experience ash when Redoubt blows?

It could possibly. Just never know how the winds are and then how far up it's blowing and dispersing out. Quite interesting is that the winds blow different ways at different altitudes, so it's one big guess. Though they do have pretty good computer models now that predict all this stuff.

Delta has cancelled the flight from Salt Lake City into Anchorage tonight...

B

Wife and I were stuck in Salt Lake City airport this past Monday for 12 hours due to a mechanical problem with our Delta flight to Atlanta. When a plane arrived that we were suppose to take to Atlanta and as it was unloading that made an announcement ove the loudspeaker that Delta was cancelling the flight to Anchorage that afternoon/evening. We figured Delta was using the eruption as an excuse to cancel the flight so they could use that plane to take as to ATL.

Archived