Redoubt is Blowing it's top.

ARRTrain

Just goes to show how un predictable it is, I read yesterday that Anchorage is now under an ash advisory. I had thought the first one was it. Some how it reminds me of back when I was in college and had way too much tequilla the night before.

Guess it went again last night.

VERY LIGHT ASHFALL POSSIBLE ACROSS THE ANCHORAGE BOWL AND

MATANUSKA VALLEY...

MOUNT REDOUBT HAD A SERIES OF ERUPTIONS BEGINNING AT 1148 PM THURSDAY NIGHT. LIGHT RAIN AND SNOW SHOWERS ARE CURRENTLY MOVING FROM THE NORTHERN KENAI PENINSULA TO THE MATANUSKA VALLEY AND THE ANCHORAGE BOWL. RESIDUAL ASH FROM THE ERUPTIONS MAY FALL AS THE SHOWERS MOVE OVERHEAD. ASHFALL AMOUNTS ARE EXPECTED TO BE A TRACE OR LESS.

We are currently having some snow/rain mix but I looked and nothing outside looks gray yet.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Guess it went again last night.

VERY LIGHT ASHFALL POSSIBLE ACROSS THE ANCHORAGE BOWL AND

MATANUSKA VALLEY...

MOUNT REDOUBT HAD A SERIES OF ERUPTIONS BEGINNING AT 1148 PM THURSDAY NIGHT. LIGHT RAIN AND SNOW SHOWERS ARE CURRENTLY MOVING FROM THE NORTHERN KENAI PENINSULA TO THE MATANUSKA VALLEY AND THE ANCHORAGE BOWL. RESIDUAL ASH FROM THE ERUPTIONS MAY FALL AS THE SHOWERS MOVE OVERHEAD. ASHFALL AMOUNTS ARE EXPECTED TO BE A TRACE OR LESS.

We are currently having some snow/rain mix but I looked and nothing outside looks gray yet.

Thanks for keeping us updated. Seems like it's touch and go at this point. I'm hopeful the eruptions will subside as time goes by...

I have just a little over 6 weeks..

B

I just want to say thanks for the updates, too. Are the flights canceled for today?

I don't know about all of them, but yes, some of them are. The Delta flight from Salt Lake into Anchorage is canceled today and was canceled yesterday.::(

B

Thanks for keeping us updated. Seems like it's touch and go at this point. I'm hopeful the eruptions will subside as time goes by...

I have just a little over 6 weeks..

B

Well I'm hoping it settles down before that because 3 weeks from tonight I'm headed to LA for the Mariner. I keep telling myself, 3 weeks, I've got 3 weeks, nothing to worry about :eek::eek:

I just want to say thanks for the updates, too. Are the flights canceled for today?

This is what the Alaska page says

Travel Advisory: Currently there are limited operations in and out of Anchorage. (Updated 1:45 p.m. PT, 3/27/09)

This is what the Alaska page says

Travel Advisory: Currently there are limited operations in and out of Anchorage. (Updated 1:45 p.m. PT, 3/27/09)

I guess you are as anxious (or more) as I am...

Let's hope for the best!

B

I guess you are as anxious (or more) as I am...

Let's hope for the best!

B

Heck I had to worry about air travel in 1989 too. It blew about a week before we were to leave for Micronesia. And with us being down to 5 1/2 hours of light the airlines weren't flying basically at all. Fortunately, we were the first 7 a.m. United flight to leave in a week.

I wonder how this affects the wildlife and glacier?

No the Kenai Fjords tour does Resurrection Bay and the Gulf of Alaska.

Really have never seen any reports of adverse effects to wildlife and if a glacier is in the way it would just get ash falling on it, so would make it somewhat gray on the top.

I read in the ADN that were two avalanches by the Whittier tunnel too, one on purpose but the one that hit the freight train wasn't.

Sounds like nature is doing a number on you guys. I hope you don't end up with too awful a cleanup, ash must be a real pain to get off of everything.

Redoubt erupts again Friday, sends ash to 40,000 feet

Updated: March 27, 2009 09:27 PM CDT

by Casey Grove

Friday, March 27, 2009

ANCHORAGE, Alaska -- Mount Redoubt erupted for a second time Friday, spewing ash to 40,000 feet above sea level, according to the Alaska Volcano Observatory.

The eruption occurred at about 5:35 p.m. That comes after a first explosive event Friday morning at about 8:40 p.m., and a series of overnight eruptions that started shortly before midnight.

The National Weather Service has not yet issued any ash fall advisories for the latest eruption.

Some flights to and from Ted Stevens International Airport were canceled as a result of the morning ash cloud, but there was no word as of 6 p.m. of any cancellations from the most recent event.

An update at Alaska Airlines' Twitter page says they are continuing to evaluate the weather and any further impacts to flights.

The Continental flight from Anchorage to Houston that leaves just after midnight has been canceled...

It's been a little active overnight

2009-03-28 04:35:31

Small discrete earthquakes and low level tremor continue.

2009-03-28 03:39:03

Seismicity has diminished over the last 30 minutes or so.

2009-03-28 02:23:40

A steady seismic signal that began about 20 minutes ago is being recorded. There was not a strong pressure signal associated with this event.

2009-03-28 01:50:21

Another explosive eruption of Redoubt volcano occurred at approximately 01:20 AKDT (0920 UTC). NWS reports a cloud top of 50,000 ft above sea level.

2009-03-28 01:19:35

Seismic activity has subsided since the last epxlosion at 23:20 AKDT (07:20 UTC). AVO recorded 5 major explosive events yesterday (March 27).

SUSITNA VALLEY-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...TALKEETNA...WILLOW...CANTWELL

515 AM AKDT SAT MAR 28 2009

...ASHFALL ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON AKDT TODAY ALONG THE

ALASKA RANGE SOUTH OF SKWENTNA...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN ANCHORAGE HAS ISSUED AN ASHFALL

ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON AKDT TODAY.

A SERIES OF ERUPTIONS OF MOUNT REDOUBT OVERNIGHT HAS SENT ASH

NORTHWARD ALONG THE ALASKA RANGE SOUTH OF SKWENTNA. EXPECT A

TRACE TO ONE EIGHTH INCH ACCUMULATION OF ASH THROUGH LATE THIS MORNING.

It's been a little active overnight

2009-03-28 04:35:31

Small discrete earthquakes and low level tremor continue.

2009-03-28 03:39:03

Seismicity has diminished over the last 30 minutes or so.

2009-03-28 02:23:40

A steady seismic signal that began about 20 minutes ago is being recorded. There was not a strong pressure signal associated with this event.

2009-03-28 01:50:21

Another explosive eruption of Redoubt volcano occurred at approximately 01:20 AKDT (0920 UTC). NWS reports a cloud top of 50,000 ft above sea level.

2009-03-28 01:19:35

Seismic activity has subsided since the last epxlosion at 23:20 AKDT (07:20 UTC). AVO recorded 5 major explosive events yesterday (March 27).

SUSITNA VALLEY-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...TALKEETNA...WILLOW...CANTWELL

515 AM AKDT SAT MAR 28 2009

...ASHFALL ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON AKDT TODAY ALONG THE

ALASKA RANGE SOUTH OF SKWENTNA...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN ANCHORAGE HAS ISSUED AN ASHFALL

ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON AKDT TODAY.

A SERIES OF ERUPTIONS OF MOUNT REDOUBT OVERNIGHT HAS SENT ASH

NORTHWARD ALONG THE ALASKA RANGE SOUTH OF SKWENTNA. EXPECT A

TRACE TO ONE EIGHTH INCH ACCUMULATION OF ASH THROUGH LATE THIS MORNING.

Hey Susan,

I click on the links you have provided, but I get the error message that page cannot be displayed. Is it just me, or are the links not working?:confused:

Thanks for your updates!

Hey Susan,

I click on the links you have provided, but I get the error message that page cannot be displayed. Is it just me, or are the links not working?:confused:

Thanks for your updates!

Those aren't links in that message they are actually underlines. Here's the link to Redoubt's own page http://www.avo.alaska.edu/activity/Redoubt.php

Hey Susan, use power of positive thinking. Keep saying "My flights will NOT be affected!!"

Fingers crossed for you!

That's what I'm doing and it's going to be my mantra for the next three weeks, but all crossed fingers and positive vibes are appreciated :D

That's what I'm doing and it's going to be my mantra for the next three weeks, but all crossed fingers and positive vibes are appreciated :D

Oh you know you will from me - been there, done that, got the frequent flyer miles to prove it.;)

Well I'm hoping it settles down before that because 3 weeks from tonight I'm headed to LA for the Mariner. I keep telling myself, 3 weeks, I've got 3 weeks, nothing to worry about :eek::eek:

A spokesman for Alaska Airlines says flights are resuming to their normal schedules Saturday. Three flights were preemptively canceled to Nome, Kodiak, and Bethel Saturday morning due to Redoubt's activity. However, Alaska Airlines says they have figured out alternative routes to these destinations and anticipate flights will be in service the rest of the day.

This sounds encouraging!!!

Archived