Redoubt is Blowing it's top.

ARRTrain

Susan, when do you leave on your trip.:) I'm going to miss your updates.

Okay thinking positive here, I'll be out of here on a redeye on the 18th. I'll be gone almost two weeks, but I'm sure someone here from the area will keep you all updated until I return.

Well the site is up again and here's the latest and greatest!

2009-04-05 12:25:45

The eruption of Redoubt continues. Small earthquakes and intermittent tremor continue at Redoubt. A brief signal at about 10:36 this morning was likely a small rock avalanche high on the north flank of the volcano.

The AVO web camera shows a continuous plume composed primarily of water vapor and gas rising above the summit to less than 15,000 feet and drifting southeast. A smaller, intermittent plume has been sighted coming from the north base of the volcano; this is to be expected as hot debris from yesterday's explosion interacts with snow, ice, and water.

AVO plans a gas flight later today.

The volcano remains at aviation color code RED and alert level WARNING.

Susan in Anchorage :)

I am hoping this will all clear up before mid-June. We all want to see greenery, white peaks, flowers and animals. Not ash! And a previous thread said it also is affecting Kenai Fjords...that is supposed to be the best excursion. Pray all this will clear up soon.:(

I am hoping this will all clear up before mid-June. We all want to see greenery, white peaks, flowers and animals. Not ash! And a previous thread said it also is affecting Kenai Fjords...that is supposed to be the best excursion. Pray all this will clear up soon.:(

I haven't seen ash reports hit over by the Kenai Fjords but it is hitting the western side of the Kenai Peninsula- Homer, Kenai, Soldotna. One is over the mountains from the other.

the volcano has gone off....several times....but people are NOT running around with respirator masks on or with panty hose over their air filters...:) The only grey I see is from the cars driving over the slowly (very) slowly melting snow...Even my friends in Homer are laughing at what the media has put out.....and they have had a bit of ash....I think that everyone who vacations here...be it on a cruise or otherwise will have a wonderful time. The sky is not falling in yet said Turkey Lurky....

I think that everyone who vacations here...be it on a cruise or otherwise will have a wonderful time.

The only major concern I have about the volcano is, at the end of my trip on June 14, will our plane be able to take off on time from Anchorage to come home? Or will flights that night be canceled, resulting in significant extra expenses and additional missed days of work? Looks like I won't know that until June 14, so I won't worry about it, but I will be prepared with a charged cell phone and relevant phone numbers so that we can make arrangements as needed.

The only major concern I have about the volcano is, at the end of my trip on June 14, will our plane be able to take off on time from Anchorage to come home? Or will flights that night be canceled, resulting in significant extra expenses and additional missed days of work? Looks like I won't know that until June 14, so I won't worry about it, but I will be prepared with a charged cell phone and relevant phone numbers so that we can make arrangements as needed.

Sounds like a good plan.

Susan... Looks like you may make it!!! Keeping my fingers crossed!

Bon Voyage!!

B

I'm hoping and still with fingers and toes crossed too. Think I've looked at the Redoubt page 4 times already today, just to see what it's doing:D

I'm hoping and still with fingers and toes crossed too. Think I've looked at the Redoubt page 4 times already today, just to see what it's doing:D

Hey Susan, when's your flight out?

12:30 a.m. Saturday (got to love those red eyes). So in about 9 hours I should be at the gate sitting waiting to board.

I've been on a few of those redeyes so I understand. Have a fantastic time.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's still under Orange Watch - steam plume still visible but I made it in and out without any interruptions. They still don't know what it's going to do.

Susan how was your vacation.:p

It was great. Lovely sunny and hot days in Mexico though it was a little windy and chillier in San Diego than expected (went there after the Mariner for a work conference).

Came through fine, no piggy flu and quite happy we sailed when we did as now the Mariner is going North up the west coast into Canada instead of Mexico.

Now I'll start crossing my fingers and toes for you all that the Mountain goes back to sleep.

This is from a visit they did on Thursday - it's still at Orange Level today.

1241222909_ak231.jpg

View of the north flank of Redoubt Volcano from the research hut where one of the webcams is situated. This zoomed image shows a minor block-and-ash flow advancing down the talus slope below the dome produced from hot debris shed off the dome. Hot debris collects in the gorge above the waterfall generating minor, secondary steam/ash clouds.

Picture Date: April 30, 2009 14:14:39 AKDT

Image Creator: McGimsey, Game;

Image courtesy of AVO/USGS.

Please cite the photographer and the Alaska Volcano Observatory / U.S. Geological Survey when using this image.

Archived