Boarding Majesty in Charleston, SC and could use some pointers please

finch12

Sunbunny

That's correct, there were uniformed officers directing traffic...down Washington Street, but you end up at the parking warehouses and the tent to drop off your luggage....there is no other way to go. The tent is inside the parking area, so these people are parking, then walking out to the markets, then walking back in. One other thing.... they only take CASH for the parking. It was something over $100 for the week... and you pay on the way in. If anyone has anyone handicapped with them, they were wonderful and easy with us (we had f-in-law with us.)

It's really sad that my post doesn't even make sense to me. Let me try again....

There are uniformed folks starting about 4 blocks away from the parking entrance who will funnel you into the parking area (the parking is actually indoors -- it's a group of old warehouses surrounded by chainlink 1500 yards from the ship/port entrance.) After you pass through the chain link and give them your $100+ (cash) you pull up through a tent area and unload your luggage, then they direct you to a parking place. You park, then get on the shuttle busses and they take you to the ship (and more buildings) where you check in.

We were able to use a credit card for the parking fee in Charleston for our March 7 cruise. I just got my statement today, and the charge was $110. Also, we arrived around 10:45 and had to park along the street to wait until they opened the gates at 11:30. I think they did allow taxis and people being dropped off to go in before that time.

We were able to use a credit card for the parking fee in Charleston for our March 7 cruise. I just got my statement today, and the charge was $110. Also, we arrived around 10:45 and had to park along the street to wait until they opened the gates at 11:30. I think they did allow taxis and people being dropped off to go in before that time.

Yes, credit cards are now being accepted. Good news.

We went last year in May and experienced the delay. We did not board until about 4:30.

It was perfectly fine though. We took the shuttle from Holiday Inn Riverside to the port, dropped off our luggage with the porters and had a beautiful afternoon to walk around Charleston. The area near the dock is WONDERFUL. Lots of old churches, parks, historical stuff....

To me it was a bonus- like an extra day in port :-)

I love Charleston, beautiful city. I used to live near there in Summerville, SC and I always enjoyed going in to Charleston when I lived there. Every so often we go to Charleston for a long weekend. It has been 25 years since we lived in SC.

I would do exactly exactly as you did. Drop off my bags and board later, line or not.

I'm still confused! The port of Charleston says you have to go to 32 Washington street to get to the ship. That's a whole 3 / 4 blocks from the cruise terminal. If we are being dropped off do we have to wait in line with the car parkers? Or can we be dropped off closer to the cruise terminal like off of Market street or Cumberland street and walk to the luggage area?

When you say they don't open the gates until 12:00 pm does that mean the cars can't come in or the shuttles / taxis / drop offs can't get in?

Why is this so confusing? We are travelling with 5 other families and are trying to arrange a drop off point. Any suggestions?

OK Sun Bunny, The tent we were brought to by the cab was at 176 Concord St. at the corner of S. Market and Concord St. The Market is one block away across E. Bay St. We dropped our bags at 10:45 and returned to this area on foot at 12:30 showed our tix. and boarded a 16 passenger bus for a 2 min. ride to the terminal . We boarded the ship within 15 min. 176 Concord St. is where the cabs bring early air arrivals so they can get rid of their bags. I've done both, arrived by car in 08 and did the stay at a hotel and been dropped off in 09 and believe me being dropped off is 100 times better IMHO. If you Google 176 Concord St, you will see a picture of the parking lot, the terminal and ship at the pier. I hope this helps. Have a great cruise.

OK Sun Bunny, The tent we were brought to by the cab was at 176 Concord St. at the corner of S. Market and Concord St. The Market is one block away across E. Bay St. We dropped our bags at 10:45 and returned to this area on foot at 12:30 showed our tix. and boarded a 16 passenger bus for a 2 min. ride to the terminal . We boarded the ship within 15 min. 176 Concord St. is where the cabs bring early air arrivals so they can get rid of their bags. I've done both, arrived by car in 08 and did the stay at a hotel and been dropped off in 09 and believe me being dropped off is 100 times better IMHO. If you Google 176 Concord St, you will see a picture of the parking lot, the terminal and ship at the pier. I hope this helps. Have a great cruise.

Thanks so much ROBKAR77. The cruise authority told me that everyone must come in via Washington Street and walk ups would be turned away from Market St. My guess is they are trying to keep the traffic out of historic Charleston.

The cruise authority in Charleston did tell me that we could be dropped off within the gate off Washington St and make a short stop at the luggage drop off point and then finally dropped off at the shuttle that takes you to the Cruise terminal that is on Concord St.

We also don't need to wait in the same line as the car parkers.

I would agree that being dropped off is the way to go. And it is much cheaper to leave your car at the Inn at River Crossing in Mount Pleasant. I'm ready to go!

Archived