Mexican riviera january 3rd,2010 how safe is mexico concerned

DLPM6545

Hi, I am going on a Mexican Riviera cruise in January of 2010 with Carnival on the Splendor sailing out of Long Beach, this is the 2nd cruise I will be on . I am taking all my kids which are 18, 24, 26 and my daughters husband and my grandchild who is 1 and will be 2 by then, my sister and nephew and his wife and children are going as well with so far 2 friends a total of 15 people. I started hearing that Mexico is not safe to go to after I booked this cruise and paid on it.. I am a person who is very cautious and I am now wondering how safe are the places we are going to and are we going to have a hard time there. I heard these places are very nice that is why I wanted to bring my family. Also does anyone know how the weather is at that time January 3rd tho the 10th, and if the ocean is very choppy.. I guess I should of done my homework better... thanks

There shouldn't be an issue, of course don't do anything stupid, which from your post I get the feeling you won't.

The only place out of the 3 ports that has really been having problems is PV, but even with that it has been for the most part kept amongst the drug dealers.

Follow the normal rules when traveling and you should be ok.

From LA down to Cabo it will be cool, after Cabo it starts to warm up a bit, the reverse is true on the way back up.

The only rough seas I have come across have been on the last day heading north, this seems to be the common thing, though I kind of enjoy it.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask, we have done this cruise a few times and are doing in October, though on Princess.

I see a lot of people that have concerns about Mexico and the U.S. media is to blame here (the drug war). For those that are concerned the cruise line has up to date information on what are "tourist friendly areas". Also no matter where you go, don't carry large amounts of cash or valuables (no reason wearing diamond necklace or gucci handbag where someone can make you as a mark)

I posted this in response to a concerned cruiser over on the Mexican Riviera Board after they had heard news reports but it applies here as well. Listen to the complete news report, don't just cherry pick out the words "Mexico" and "violence"

"As you have said, "Much has been said ..." Now you really have to listen to what they are saying. Mexico is a HUGE country. The recent violence has pretty much been limited to the border town's (ie: drug entry points) near San Diego, Tuscon, and El Paso. The violence has been pretty much contained to the suburban neighborhoods and back alleys of these border areas. Even in the towns of Tijuana, Nogales , & Juarez - the violence has not occurred directly in the tourist zones. The violence is directly related to drug lords fighting each other for turf, as well as fighting the Mexican government. There has also been increased violence in Mexico City but that is mainly where the drug lords try to hit the seat of government.

Cabo, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta are over 1000 miles from these towns. Do you need to be careful, sure. But no more careful than you would need to be in areas like; parts of Detroit, parts of Chicago, South Philly, the Compton area near Los Angeles, parts of Miami, parts of Washington D.C. (sorry if I missed your city). In fact, I would take these Mexican tourist cities (Cabo, Maz, PV) any day over the aforementioned cities of the United States.

Bottom line, just be smart, not stupid and you will have a great vacation. The same can pretty much be said for any part of the world (with perhaps the exception of the Sudan, Afganistan, Iraq, etc.)

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Final thought. We are a big part of the problem in Mexico. Besides our huge need for illegal drugs, we are also the main supplier of guns to Mexico (where it is illegal to buy and own a weapon). Our right to buy and possess an almost unlimited supply of guns (with very little regulation) has caused our neighbor to the south to suffer an unbelievable amount of carnage. Could they get the weapons elsewhere. Certainly. But they don't have to because we are so close and it is so easy to buy a gun here. Right to own a gun (with tough/transparent regulations), I'm all for it. Right to buy an arsenal. Give me a break!

Am I a liberal, hardly. Am I a conservative, hardly. Am I an American, ABSOLUTELY"

Hi, I am from Chicago and live about 45 minutes away now, so I do know a thing about violence.. I totally understand that I need to be smart about situations but I thought I would get a better view from people who had already been on this cruise and went to this part of Mexico.. My son works with the media and he was the first to tell me dont believe everything you hear... So I do understand things sometimes (well a lot of times) get blown out of proportion..but it is nice to hear other people's opinion about this... I am more cautious now because of my granddaughter .. thanks for the input:)

Hey Mexico is offering up to 2 million a head for the biggest drug cartels right as we speak..........so by 2010 there should be about 30 less drug cartels and a few richer Mexicans or Americans :D

Just use common sense and you should be ok......

Jan 2010

That's 9 months from now

We can't possibly have a clue as to what might be going on 9 months from now with regards to violence or choppy seas (don't know if there will be systems in ocean at that time).

You can fare better with getting an idea about weather by looking up average air temps on the Internet.

aside from saying that a lot can change in the time between now and your cruise...either way really...as of now I wouldnt be terribly worried. The bulk of the issues have been at border towns rather than the resort cities. We were in PV, Maz and Cabo last month and never had any issues...stick to the beaten path and dont wander alone

Archived