Jewel 11/20 - 11/28 WOW!!!

yfraser

This was a fabulous cruise! From the service, the itinerary, the ship, the people... everything!

Embarkation... we arrived about 11:30 with water and wine in tow and were on the ship by 11:45... no lines!

Our aft room 9256 was absolutely fabulous... our daughters were in 9258.

We met up with our fellow cruise critics poolside on the first day... and at our meet and mingle... we met a wonderful couple who were also cruise critics and from this point met up each night for drinks... what a wonderful way to meet new friends!

Food... we ate in both Portofinos and Chops... we preferred Portofinos but enjoyed both restaurants immensely and would definitely recommend going. It is nice to escape the noisier main dining room etc. We had main seating with our servers Arpad and Hanzel and had a wonderful experience. The food on the whole was wonderful.

The ports were fabulous. I absolutely loved this itinerary. Our best excursion was most definitely sailing aboard the Winifred in St. Thomas! What an absolutely fabulous day... sailing for 2 hours over to St John, snorkeling and seeing all the fish and the sea turtles, lying on the beach, and sailing home... wow! We loved our beach days in Antigua and St. Maarten as well.

The service was amazing as well...

Weather... fabulous... we had a few rain drops but otherwise warm and sunny with some clouds. It was absolutely smooth sailing.

Disembarkation... we left our room at 8:25 and we were through security at the airport (after checking luggage) by 9:00! About 8:25 we had decided to go to the Promenade deck and sit on the loungers and wait for the colours to begin to be called (we were in the second group)... but as we arrived they began disembarkation (they had yet to announce it over the PA) and so we just joined in and were amongst the first 20 or 30 off the ship. No lines for Immigration... we picked up our luggage (no crowds) with the help of a porter. By using a porter we bypassed the line that was forming for customs... and were out the door and in our taxi in less than 5 minutes. We arrived at the airport (little traffic as it was still early in the day and most cruisers had yet to disembark) and once again a porter approached so we decided to use him as well and he cut the line for curbside checkin and we were issued our boarding passes our luggage was checked and we headed to security where once again there were no lines yet! So easy...

Any questions?

Thank you for the review. On the Sail Winifred excursion, did you have to get your own transportation to Red Hook, or did they send a car for you? I have seen some reviews both ways. I will be doing that activity on Valentines Day! Thanks!

Hi yfraser, we met you on Mariner last year - you did the draw pick for my husband to win the aquamouse (he covets that thing so much). I saw your posting last week before you left and hoped you would write a review. We're sailing Jewel 8 day leaving this Sat. After reading your comments I'm looking forward to it even more. I've been worried about the embarkation/debarkation delays but apparently this wasn't a problem. Only one more question - did you make the surprise stop in St. Croix and were you able to get off the ship?

We were in 9256 on the 6-nighter prior to your 8-nighter. We left you a few extra hangars. Hope you found them useful. Yes, it was a fabulous room, and the ship is the prettiest we've been on. I even recognized most of the art as being art! Glad you had a great cruise.

thebrat99 - The Winifred excursion was sooo fabulous! We took a taxi to Redhook... very easy to do. Sharon had forwarded us directions on how to get to the appropriate dock at the Marina and Doug was there to pick us up. You will not regret this!

RandS - I am thrilled that your husband still covets his aquamouse! I won again at this meet and mingle... the same gift... the shoulder bag! We did not make a surprise stop in St. Croix... only the expected ones and we were thrilled with them all. Embarkation and Disembarkation... absolutely no problems... one of the easiest!

Denb... I did notice all the extra hangers... thank you so much each and everyone found a home! What a fabulous room... thanks for leaving it in such good shape... although we never did figure out how to leave that balcony door locked open... the mechanism didn't seem to be working as it had on other ships...

What a fabulous cruise!

denB and yFraser, Thanks for posting about also having 9256. Have never been in an aft corner cabin before and am really looking forward to it. Are there 2 loungers, 2 chairs and a small table on the balcony of 9256?

I bought a roll-a-table after reading someone's post here about it so am going to use it out on the balcony to eat meals on (it's a full-size 32" sq. table that completely comes apart). May be a tight squeeze. What do you think? It's a great invention.

Thanks for your input on 9256.

Bob in Lauderdale

Hey Bob,

Yes it has two loungers, two chairs, and a small table. Your portable table sounds like a great idea... it would definitely help with room service trays etc.

I will post photos in the next couple of days of the room and balcony!

You will have a wonderful time!

RandS - we were right downtown near Old San Juan... perfect location... easy to walk to everything!

We printed up a walking tour from the Frommer's guide and just followed it along... a perfect tour! We saw a lovely part of San Juan this way!

Yfraser, did you happen to look down at the balcony below yours at all? I am booked in that cabin on the Serenade and as far as I can tell from pictures I've seen the balcony is nearly as large as 9256's, but I am interested in hearing about a "first-hand" view from someone.

TerriDHair... I couldn't see onto the balcony below us! That is how private they are... but I could see from the shore that the balconies did get smaller with each successively lower deck... probably about 1 foot less in depth...

I hope this helps...

yfraser, thanks much, it does help. I like knowing we'll have the privacy and I don't mind losing a bit of depth compared to 9256 (and I don't have much choice at this point as 9256 is not available!). On the deck plans it looks as if my balcony is rectangular, rather than wrapping around a little like 9256 does, however I found a picture from the outside showing the aft and it looks like that is definitely not the case. Either way, unless 9256 opens up before October I know I am going to enjoy having the corner aft just below it!

Thank you for the review. On the Sail Winifred excursion, did you have to get your own transportation to Red Hook, or did they send a car for you? I have seen some reviews both ways. I will be doing that activity on Valentines Day! Thanks!

I am assuming we are on the same cruise. Also from Michigan. I am really looking forward to a nice vacation in February. 74 days and counting....

thebrat99 - The Winifred excursion was sooo fabulous! We took a taxi to Redhook... very easy to do. Sharon had forwarded us directions on how to get to the appropriate dock at the Marina and Doug was there to pick us up. You will not regret this!QUOTE]

Is this excursion thru Royal Caribbean, or is this something you found on your own? Did they serve any beverage on it? ( As in adult beverage ):D

Shanafan, I have not been on the Winifred but have been checking into St. Thomas daysails before my Feb. cruise that will stop there. Here is the link to the Winifred site: http://www.sailwinifred.com/ . It is booked independently rather than through the ship and there are adult beverages included. :D (and lunch!)

And the adult beverages are fabulous... that fruit punch that Tommy makes is absolutely fabulous! (he is not sparing on the alcohol) Two of those and I was one with the ship! They also serve beer and various non-alcoholic drinks...

It is definitely the ideal excursion for St. Thomas!

Hi ShanaFan. Sorry, I booked for two weeks on the Golden Princess, but read all the boards reviews. Always looking for tips and experiences! We have the Winifred booked for Valentine's Day, but I understand that Sharon will take up to six people. We are only two and havent a clue whether or not she has booked the other four slots, but check it out! Would love to spend the day with other Wing Nuts!

Kathy

Hi ShanaFan. Sorry, I booked for two weeks on the Golden Princess, but read all the boards reviews. Always looking for tips and experiences! We have the Winifred booked for Valentine's Day, but I understand that Sharon will take up to six people. We are only two and havent a clue whether or not she has booked the other four slots, but check it out! Would love to spend the day with other Wing Nuts!

Kathy

Would love to, but we will be there on the 17th. :( I have e-mailed them to get more info. I would love to do it! Sounds like so much fun! Enjoy your cruise----are you as excited as me? I made final payment yesterday---but it is a week earlier than most because I went with an on line agent. At least we will get a break from the crappy snow and cold---if only for 10 days......but it makes the winter that much more easier to take.

And the adult beverages are fabulous... that fruit punch that Tommy makes is absolutely fabulous! (he is not sparing on the alcohol) Two of those and I was one with the ship! They also serve beer and various non-alcoholic drinks...

It is definitely the ideal excursion for St. Thomas!

Thanks so much for the tip! I e-mailed Sharon and gave my credit card to hold a spot for us. Is there more than one boat? I will take your word for it that it is a great time. That is the reason these boards are so great---we found out about Captain Marvins the same way---and really enjoyed it. From what I read about this, how can you go wrong? Thanks again!

We will be sailing the Jewel on Dec. 18. The only cabins we could get were forward cabins because we wanted a balcony and an inside across from us. How bad was the motion towards the front? Should I be worried? None of us are prone to motion sickness. We have cabins 1504 and 1509. Thanks.

Archived