Dawn 10 day review from a first time freestyler

emcemt

I also enjoyed the 11/18 Dawn trip and happened to keep a copy of some of the Venetian menus (Aqua and Impressions may vary). There are 6 entrees offered every evening, 1 being vegetarian and 1 being "A Taste of (add a country)". Of course there are 10 restaurants to choose from so lots of choices. Freestyle is all about choice and people seem to either really like it or prefer traditional if choosing where & when to eat isn't desirable for them. We happen to be converts and have a lot of fun with it!

In a happy circumstance, I was on the Dawn for both the 11/18 and 11/28 sailings and sampled all the restaurants - most of them a few times. I don't even know where to begin so if anyone has any questions....please ask! We had fantastic meals at Salsa if you're looking for something with no charge with a lot of ambience...you can listen to the atrium harmony singers "Anna y los Vientos". Le Bistro is as good as ever - DH orders the escargots every time (and they serve escargots in the main restaurants once also).

There were 2 optional formal nights on both cruises and I was surprised how many people dressed up, especially for the 1st one. BTW, the Dawn is now beautifully decorated for the holidays!

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from the Dawn's 12/19/04 10 day to the S. Caribbean, and would like to note that I did not hear the Titanic theme played by the piano player at embarkation on the pier, nor at the Chocoholic Buffet, or at any of the many pianos on board. I also noted that the life saver floatation device previously hung in the Pearly King's Pub no longer has "Titanic" painted on it.

I would guess that NCL has reacted to some comments expressed by past cruisers.

I'll post more details on the cruise at a later time, on a separate thread. I'll only state it was a great cruise, and another splendid performance on behalf of NCL, and yes, we did go to Tortola and all other stops on the itinerary.

Glad to hear the most recent Dawn sailing was good.

Can you give me a feel for how the embarkation process went?

What time did you arrive at the pier? How long till you got on board, etc.

It should be comparable to what we can expect on the 12/30 sailing. thanks

First off, we traveled by NCL Academy bus from Providence RI. Left Prov. at 7:30 a.m.. After 2 stops (New Haven & Bridgeport CT), and a brief stop at McDonald's...we arrived at the pier at 12:15pm. Not bad, earliest of any of our trips to NY pier.

First line - for security check (photo ID and docs), second line - (metal detector and scanners), third line - check-in, fourth line - to pick up key card. And then the photographers!! :D

Did not check actual time, but would guess approx. 1 hour total to be on-board. Not too bad, considering we "did" arrive at the "busiest" time.

We had a terrific cruise!!!! :D

Archived