Question for GC Resident - Drew or others?

txladydi

My family and I will be on Grand Cayman on June 15. According to our research, that day is the celebration of the Queen's Birthday. Can you tell me:

1. do we have the date right,

2. will there be any special celebrations, parades, anything that we might go see?

Very much looking forward to walking on Grand Cayman soil again!

Thanks for your kind help,

Di

Monday June 15 is the date of the Cayman Public Holiday to honour the Queen's Birthday. Traditionally this is the first Monday after the Saturday designated in the UK as the Queen's Birthday. The date varies slightly from year to year.

Most of the activities in celebration of the Queen's Birthday actually take place on the preceeding Saturday when it is celebrated in the UK. I expect there will be a parade and a ceremony bestowing Queen's honours on Saturday June 13. Typically the Governor honours those who received Queen's Birthday or New Year's honours in the preceeding year. The list of those being honoured in the current year is also announced. Ceremony normally is in front of the Legislative Assembly building on Fort Street.

This situation is similar to how you may have Friday July 3rd off as a holiday this year because July 4 falls on a Saturday. All of the celebrating will still happen on the 4th.

• 2 weeks later...

THANKS! Since we don't arrive until the 14th, guess we'll miss all of the celebrations.

Just one more question, will there be closures, i.e. restaurants closing early, or museums closed, etc?

Di

Archived