A Brits opinion of Carnival Criusing!

acemedsec

Hi everyone

My wife and I have just returned home from the wonderful Carnival Miracle 11/14/04 to 11/21/04.

We have visited this site many times to gain tips and information on our ship and ports and found it to be a goldmine.

We would both like to return the favour if possible and supply our observations, perhaps from a British point of view. So if any of you want to talk please ask away. If not then we will post our info anyway in the near future! ;)

I've only cruised Carnival on a three-day before and wasn't really impressed -- I've traveled many more with RCL. Someone told me to try Carnival for a 7 day, that they were a lot different and thought we would give it a try! (hubby made decision because of price and being able to fly without changing planes from home)

I am a huge Angliophile, having spent a good portion of my formative years growing up in England and Bermuda (Daddy was in US Air Force). Took me years to give up putting a "u" in Color and Harbor! I still fall back and say telly and lift though. Hubby thinks its quaint!

We have sailed with Cunard in the past but the Countess was small in comparison to the Miracle, and with very few Americans on board. Most of the guide books here say that Carnival are 'middle of the range, loud (Tannoy announcements all the time) with food that concentrates on quantity not quality.'

Happily we found just the opposite.

Admittedly it was not as cosy as the Cunard Countess but there were plenty of areas where we could be alone with peace and quiet if we wanted. The standard of furnishings and accomodation were excellent(although a little garish in the dining room) and the announcements were so inconspicuous that we missed many of the entertainment reminders.

Many Brits travel in small families or groups, so meeting so many people who travel in large 50 plus sizes takes a little getting used to, but as you Americans are always friendly and unintimidating it was not a problem.

We changed our dining preference with no problem although it was the first thing we did. Getting off the ship at the ports that tendered was a problem however, so much so that we missed our tour in Belize which we booked over the internet. 'Belize Rays' are a tour company I can recommend as they were very professional and even returned us directly back to the ship rather than back to the mainland to get the tender.

I have read elsewhere on this board a suggestion to get a taxi in Costa Maya and go to the local beach. I can recommend doing that and adding the beach massage, but remember to haggle the price down.

The ship excursions are fairly reasonable (I thought so) and if anyone wants the price and the description I can post it for you.

We booked a car with Alamo and they operate a courtesy bus from Tampa to the cruise terminal and will pick you up at the end of the cruise and take you to the airport or car rental area again.

Thats enough for now.

We booked a car with Alamo and they operate a courtesy bus from Tampa to the cruise terminal and will pick you up at the end of the cruise and take you to the airport or car rental area again.

You realize that "Yanks" drive on the wrong side of the road?

Guess you do as you are alive and posting such nice messages......

Joe

PS

BBC Radio ?3 or 4

Nigel Rees show: "Quote-Unquote"

I am an occasional "guest"

Thanks for your review.

We can't wait for our Miracle 12/26/04, we have sailed on Carnival 5 other times and have been happy. We love the Spirit Class Ships and look forward to the Miracle.

We will be traveling as a Christmas gift for our kids ages 20 and 22 and of course my DH.

When my sister-in-law found we were going she booked the cabin next to us for her and my brother. I t will be their first cruise.

I can't wait

Thanks again for the info

I was really awkwardly afraid to look at your review, as I was afraid that we may not have been able to 'measure up' to the standard of the 'Brits'.. or what the average American perceives what a 'Brit' would enjoy.. :rolleyes:

We, as 'Americans' enjoy a good time, for a good price and return to do it over and over if the $$$ is available... I am so happy that you enjoyed your cruise on the Miracle, and the things we enjoy.. :)

WELCOME!! We hope to meet you on a future cruise.. :D

Sorry to worry anyone with my 'Brits opinion' header, I just thought that it was catchy and may appeal to other Brits like myself who enjoy criusing.

While people in England think they have a high standard they usually cannot match the scale and attention to detail that you "Yanks" are successful at. The trouble is that guide books written here about American cruise ships and companies seem dwell on a 'loud and 'brash' topic and not on the high standard of service and attention to small details that make cruising enjoyable. True, I find the whole idea of a service industry geared around tipping to be alien, but you need to get into the spirit of the country you are visiting.

By the way we booked a Cat 1A which on the Miracle is a 4A and got upgraded to a Cat 4D, 7th Deck?

Visit the sauna/steam room, nobody seems to use it and as the ship was built in Finland it's the real thing.

As for driving on the wrong side of the road, I think it's quaint, besides, you'll come around to the correct way soon enough.

As for driving on the wrong side of the road, I think it's quaint, besides, you'll come around to the correct way soon enough.

We have people that try that quite often. They are usually in a very inebriated state when they do and it usually results in a terrible mess...:eek:

Grumpy

We are ex-pats (B'ham and Middx) living near Vancouver, Canada but have also lived in San Diego, Calgary and Oregon. It was funny to read that Americans think the British standards are higher - maybe 150 years ago! Obviously they haven't been to Benidorm and seen all the lager louts!

We LOVE cruising and hope we can now do it every year. We are trying to get some of our friends and family to meet up on a cruise as Florida would be about half-way for us all. But there are a few sea-sicky people refusing to go and putting everyone else off! Would love to meet more Brits and other fun people on our cruises - seem to find everyone the last couple of nights! Maybe this Christmas cruise......

Cheers!

The trouble is that guide books written here about American cruise ships and companies seem dwell on a 'loud and 'brash' topic and not on the high standard of service and attention to small details that make cruising enjoyable.

LOL, sounds like maybe some CC members from the "other" boards might be writing those guide books :p I'm glad you took the chance and had a great time!!! We cruise on the Miracle in February and can't wait! thanks for your review!!!

LOL ....again the preconcieved notions take hold here.......... and thats a shame really. we have enjoyed british dinner companions on some of our other sailings and they were absolutely delightful to converse with.... I can only hope they had a similar experience with us. the differences in cultures is what makes traveling so interesting. reading cruise critic is invaluable to get an idea of what to expect while cruising......such a great service and opportunity thats provided to us all here to express how we enjoyed or disliked our cruise. and all the pointers and tips can not be forgotten about either. I am so glad you did have a good cruise experience with carnival.......... but just because it bases most of their ships and the home offices are in FLA. its not really an "american" company as all its ships are registered to other countries. its just that the U.S is the biggest market. go figure. all countries have their share of dislikeable people and sometimes they wind up on a ship with you. but its all in the attitude you carry with you on holiday ( brit term there.... lol ) happy cruising all.

Archived