"New" Drink Packages

belcherwm

I was on the Orchestra In Jan & the Lirica 3/24 sailing, suggest you buy any pkgs onboard, wine pkgs are a great value, not sure if i would buy cocktail pkg again, on the Orchestra as I drink Vodka straightn no problem, on the Lirica, forget it, straight up meant crummy glass & try to find the liquor. It all depends on the bartender. Anyway, loved both ships as this was my 5th sailing, be sure to join MSC club, got 100 chips for $50 at cassino being a silver member.

• 5 weeks later...

Yes they do Kendra. They sell booklets of tickets, 7 & 14 I think & each one can be exchanged for a large bottle of water in the dining room, buffet or bars. Not sure of prices but I think the 14 bottle booklet is about 25 euros.

Edit: PS. What has happened to your other Costa cruise? (The Romantica I think?)

Edit again :D raz68, I've just read your post. Very helpful, thankyou. How many days was your cruise for by the way?

Edit: PS. What has happened to your other Costa cruise? (The Romantica I think?)

I canceled it. I looked over the itenirary agian and realized that port time was very limited. In Athens we would only be in port for like 4 hours. So I decided to go with the MSC Opera in October. I am so happy I found it. Venice, Istanbul, Athens, Katakolon, Kotor, Split, Yalta, and Odessa. YAY!

We are sailing on Poesia in August and I have pre-booked the Classic wine package of 4 bottles of wine and 7 bottles of water (75cl) for £52 just for me. I think this sounds a good deal! My friend doesnt drink and it was no problem to order the soft drink package for him, sorry cant remember exactly how much that was.

I was on the Orchestra In Jan & the Lirica 3/24 sailing, suggest you buy any pkgs onboard, wine pkgs are a great value, not sure if i would buy cocktail pkg again, on the Orchestra as I drink Vodka straightn no problem, on the Lirica, forget it, straight up meant crummy glass & try to find the liquor. It all depends on the bartender. Anyway, loved both ships as this was my 5th sailing, be sure to join MSC club, got 100 chips for $50 at cassino being a silver member.

We were on the Orchestra April 18-25, Caribbean. I got the wine package (7btl/$105) from the waiter the first evening dinner. Let me tell you, what seemed like a good deal is really not all that great. I was only allowed to order wine from a "special" wine list with the package. All it had for choices was low-level California-only wine. Stuff like Woodbridge and low-level Behringer. Fine for 1 or 2 nights, but I got awfully tired of it after a week. An Italian ship could at least have a chianti, or a montepulciano, something Italian on this list. I asked if I could get something Italian (even by paying an upcharge) and was told flat out "No." There was one red on the list that I stuck with, but it wasn't great, a cabernet.

So beware, what seems like a good deal has strings attached. I have no idea what other people are talking about that you can order italian wines. With the package, you can't. Ultimately, you pay $15/bottle for $7 wine.

I guess I'm biased since I know a little bit about wine, but I would not get the wine package again, it was a disappointment.

The best alcohol deal on the ship is the beer buckets, at 4 for $12.

• 2 weeks later...
I canceled it. I looked over the itenirary agian and realized that port time was very limited. In Athens we would only be in port for like 4 hours. So I decided to go with the MSC Opera in October. I am so happy I found it. Venice, Istanbul, Athens, Katakolon, Kotor, Split, Yalta, and Odessa. YAY!

Hey I am just booking this now - for 4th October. Due to the credit crunch (ie no bonus from work) and a leaking shower room that has to be fixed (insurance won't cover dodgey grouting :() I had to cancel the v expensive cruise I had planned for our 20th wedding anniversary as there would be no money left for any other emergencies. I came across this cruise at a really good price - did a bit of googling for info/reviews on MSC and am paying my deposit as I type.

TA says I can carry the deposit of my expensive cruise over to next year so long as I book a cruise with that operator. Win win situation and I get to be in Istanbul (somewhere I have always wanted to go) on my anniversary.:D

Trying to work out whether the drinks packages are worth it or not - still got a few months to decide.

Sorry to hear about having to cancel your expensive cruise!!!!! You should join your roll call. I know there are two ladies who will also be on your cruise. I hope you have a wonderful time!

About the drink packages. I was looking forward to ordering the 7 bottles at dinner and realized it is not avaliable in the Med. :(

Sorry to hear about having to cancel your expensive cruise!!!!! You should join your roll call. I know there are two ladies who will also be on your cruise. I hope you have a wonderful time!

About the drink packages. I was looking forward to ordering the 7 bottles at dinner and realized it is not avaliable in the Med. :(

kendra there are 7 bottle wine packages available in the med, you just buy them at embarkation or on your first night at dinner. They are Italian wines in Europe too. they used to do this also in the caribbean but too many N American passengers wanted californian so they changed to please them

The European package also include bottles of mineral water. You can get several packages, all red, all white, mixed and there are premuim versions too

• 1 year later...

My wife and I have cruised with Royal Caribbean & NCL in the past. We will be cruising on MSC for the first time in January 2011 on an 8 day departing from Rio and hitting Uruguay and Argentina (Buenos Aires). My wife isn't a big drinker; she may drink one or two drinks on the sea days. I however prefer to sit by the pool with a cold one in hand and maybe have a drink before and after dinner ;). Can a couple purchase two different drink plans? Say have her purchase a non-alcoholic drink plan and full-on one for myself?

• 2 weeks later...
My wife and I have cruised with Royal Caribbean & NCL in the past. We will be cruising on MSC for the first time in January 2011 on an 8 day departing from Rio and hitting Uruguay and Argentina (Buenos Aires). My wife isn't a big drinker; she may drink one or two drinks on the sea days. I however prefer to sit by the pool with a cold one in hand and maybe have a drink before and after dinner ;). Can a couple purchase two different drink plans? Say have her purchase a non-alcoholic drink plan and full-on one for myself?

I am still wondering about this. I know several of you have extensive experience with MSC, so I am hoping to get an answer. Gracie!

I am still wondering about this. I know several of you have extensive experience with MSC, so I am hoping to get an answer. Gracie!

it does say in the info that the package must be purchased by all people in the cabin on the u.s site there are combination packages that cover alchohol and soft drinks these may suit you.

If you are buying either the unlimited drinks at main meals or all inclusive deals all of you in the same stateroom would have to buy the same package. Otherwise couples could buy 1 beer and wine and 1 soft drink one and the one with the beer/wine one also order for their partner. kids are probably an exception.

I would add that I have no personal experience of buying either package as they aren't suitable for me. I buy the individula drinks packages you get onboard. They are where you get a book of vouchers and just hand one over every time you order a drink. I don't think the unlimited beer/wine one is going to be that great for you if you like to have a beer at the pool and drink pre and post dinner. the unlimited drink one is only for those drinks at meal times in the buffet or restaurant. Certainly doesn't sound like either of you are going to drink enough to justify the cost of teh All Inclusive. I think youd be better buying either a large or small beer package. You get a book of 14 vouchers, so as long as you will definitely use them all, you'll save around the cost of a couple of drinks. Depending on what you like to drink before or after dinner, a cocktail one may also work for you too.they are 12 vouchers but you pay for 10.

Thanks to Amomondo, mikemoate and wotaripper. I think the combo/ticket packages for cocktails and sodas will probably be the way to go. I do like the fact that you get this level of flexibility with these packages although it is a bit confusing unless you really take a look at them. Thanks again. ;)

Archived