First Cruise

Janice1265

I have a few questions and have looked on the RCCL website and can't find my answers. We are going on our first cruise on the Sovereign, January 24th.

1. I have 3 children (13g, 10b, 8b). The two boys will want to stay together as they are both shy and are best friends. From looking up the Kids programs, they will be in seperate programs because of their ages. Can I request that they be in the same program or are all the programs run together anyway?

2. Dress attire for formal night for my boys - Are dress pants and a short sleeved white oxford shirts acceptable, or will they need a jacket and tie as well? For other nights in the dining room - are dress shorts allowed for the boys or would dockers be more suitable?

3. Since we have adjoining rooms, can I tip in one lump sum if we have the same cabin attendant? And do I tip for 5 people at the suggested tip per day?

4. Soda cards - Since it is a 4 night cruise - will I get charged for 5 days (day of debarkment) or 4? Trying to decide if this is worth it for them.

5. We only have birth certificates and driver's licenses for our documentation. Will I need my marriage certificate as well?

6. My mother is also going to be on the cruise (she organized the group), will she be able to take the children on and off the ship in the Bahamas, or do we need a notarized letter or authorization?

7. We are currently booked at the Radison in Port Canaveral, but we can't get two adjoining rooms as they're booked. Can anyone recommend any other hotels in the area. We'll have our car, so if we can keep it at the hotel would be a plus.

I think that's about all for now. I'm sure that I'll have many more questions. I'm so glad that I found this board, I have a notebook filled with tips and the great advice that has been offered.

Thanks

I can answer a couple of your questions. The kids program usually asks that they kids "try" to stay in their age groups. My boys were 8 and 10 when we went... they are best friends... and do alot together at home. At times, even though they have bunk beds, they will both sleep in one bunk and scratch each others backs etc!!! Depending on how many children are on your sailing (on ours there were only 30 or so kids), those two age groups do alot together anyways. My boys were fine in separate groups and each made good friends quickly!!!!!!!! My impression from the staff was that if it was "horrible" for the children to be apart, they would let them be in the same group!!!! No one wants to let the kids have a horrible time!!! But, I bet they will be ok separately!!!!

Diningroom... we had suits for formal night but that was our choice. (they used them for other events during the year, so it was worth it). Dockers and shirts (collar polo's and button downs) for the other nights. I admit, we only ate 3 (I think) nights in the diningroom. Some nights they wanted to wear shorts (so did I), plus we were rushed getting back from ports, so we ate in the Windjammer. Which was nice!!!!!! I wouldn't have taken them to the diningroom in shorts... but that is strictly my opinion and personal choice!!! It says no shorts in the diningroom and as far as I remember, doesn't specify adults or children in that suggestion. But, ultimately, What you do on your vacation is up to you!!!!! It's your vacation.

Tips... you tip for the number of people. If you have the same room steward for both rooms, I don't see any reason why you can't combine it all... I think I would make sure that the steward knew it was for both rooms.

Can't answer the birth certificate thing... we got passports. Just easier and gave me peace of mind. But, there are others on here who have traveled with birth certificates that can probably answer about the marriage license and someone other than you taking them off the ship in ports!!!!

Have a great time on your cruise!!!!!! Our boys loved it so much they were planning the next one before we got off the ship!!!!!!

Oh, by the way, I did get suits/shirts and dress shoes for the boys very reasonably priced on e-bay!!!!!! Don't know how much time you have before you leave... Just a thought.!!!

Again, have a great time!!!!!!!

Archived