On Special Diet

VICKIVICKI

Okay, because of a recent health diagnosis, I am now on an extremly restricted diet...no meat, dairy, eggs, flour[even white] fish, high glycemic fruits and veggetables. I always looked so forward to "pigging out' on my cruises [i ussually went on a diet to lose 5 pounds under my ideal weight, so that I didn't worry about the extra pounds] What can i eat? I know salads, but do they have sprouted bread [like EZEKIAL] boca burgers, and other stuff like that? Would it help if i were to notify Carnival of my restrictions? I'm hoping that there will be a little bit of variety for me, and that I won't spend my cruise nibbling on broccoli while I fantasize about Sur Mer, lobster and chocolate melting cake.

This is from the Carnival FAQs:

Dietary Needs

Carnival Cruise Lines can provide meals to our guests with the following special dietary needs: vegetarian, low-cholesterol, low-fat, low-carbohydrates, low-sugar, gluten-free, and Kosher. If you have food allergies, please advise your dining staff once onboard, or contact a Guest Access Services Representative to discuss your requirements.

For more information contact the Guest Access Services department at 800-438-6744 extension 70025

:)

We just did a sailing on the Imagination on 3-13-09. Both myself and my 7 yr old daughter have Celiac Disease and allergy to Dairy. We had our physician fax in a specific note to Carnival and filled out the form. We were told that gluten/wheat free items would be available AND they would make our 7 yr old a birthday cake IF we brought the mix. Well....thank goodness I have learned over the years of having Celiac to prepare, prepare, prepare. I pack a huge suitcase full of food for the 2 of us to eat "just in case". The fridge in the room we were promised to keep our "special" food cold was not there and we had to jump thru fire hoops to get it, no one seemed to know anything about our food requests in the Dining Room or about making the cake. So, we lived on our Gluten Free food we brought from home and the deli turkey for 3 days. We are going on the Inspiration on 6-1-09 and filed a complaint so this does not happen again. They do not have sprouted wheat or any low sugar fruit that I saw at the buffet. Just bring some back up snacks on your own. Like I said, I have lived with this for a long time, so I know what to bring on my own and always do when we travel. So worth not taking the risk of getting sick on vacation! Good luck

Okay, because of a recent health diagnosis, I am now on an extremly restricted diet...no meat, dairy, eggs, flour[even white] fish, high glycemic fruits and veggetables. I always looked so forward to "pigging out' on my cruises [i ussually went on a diet to lose 5 pounds under my ideal weight, so that I didn't worry about the extra pounds] What can i eat? I know salads, but do they have sprouted bread [like EZEKIAL] boca burgers, and other stuff like that? Would it help if i were to notify Carnival of my restrictions? I'm hoping that there will be a little bit of variety for me, and that I won't spend my cruise nibbling on broccoli while I fantasize about Sur Mer, lobster and chocolate melting cake.

I'm going to tell you that it will be fine, but at the same time take your own backups and proteins with you (just in case it's worst case scenario like bellamom6 had - although that is really not the norm).

Make sure to give contact Carnival beforehand to let them know.

Also, go to the Maitre'D on the first afternoon to let him know.

Let your servers know.

First day, probably won't have much.

But, there is a lot that they can do, and most will try really hard to fulfill your needs after that first night that they are made aware.

They don't have Boca Burgers (specifically), but have Garden Burgers at the grills.

They also have an entire Vegan Menu (by request from the Maitre'D or servers) that fits most of your requirements.

I'm still working on some picture examples of those items from my past few years of cruising Carnival.

I'm not sure how soon you are cruising, but I'm trying to work on that in my spare time. But, just be nice and polite, but proactive...

I've always found that they have created some great meals in the dining room - as long as I am proactive, but polite.

I hope that helps in the short term, until I have time to get my pictures edited!

:)

PS to bellamom6: I applaud you in your efforts! Future reference for Carnival and cruising in general, just keep nicely and politely talking to everyone about your needs! Maitre'D, Purser, Servers, Social Hosts, etc. It's different on every cruise, but if you keep being proactive, there will always be an absolute gem of a person that will step up to the plate to go out of their way for you!

• 4 weeks later...

I hope they do better with gluten-free on the Spledor in July. We are cruising with a large group and our first cruise since our 18yo daughter diagnosed with celiac.

I have sent in the special diet request for her. I made specific notes asking for gluten-free bread, pasta and pizza.

Anyone else have any experience gluten-free on Carnival?It doesn't help that she is also picky, not really a fan of meat or seafood.

Hoping it all works out okay.

Archived