Mariner: Grand Suite Vs. Junior Suite...Looking for your Opinions!!

Hello Everyone!

Here is my question. Myself, My Wife, Our 9 month old daughter and my MIL will be sailing the Mariner on 5/1. After working and reworking the numbers, it appears that sharing a room will be the best. I am now looking at a Grand Suite and a Junior Suite. I know the descriptions, but what I would like is real world opinions. We will need a crib in the room, so size does matter, and we wondered if anyone has Photos, or has stayed in either of these cabin types(with a crib if possible) Any thoughts would be appreciate, however!!!

The cabins were a re looking at are:

Jr. Suite: 9584

Gr. Suite: 1598

Thanks again!!!

Depends on the cost difference. We usually book the Grand Suite for several reasons.

Larger balcony, more room, bathtub as opposed to shower, use of the Concierge club, 2 cruise credits for Crown and Anchor Society. large amount of closet space.

Also canapes are delivered to the room each evening, its a nice snack while preparing for the evening. Larger bathroom, in general.

There is a drapery curtain that pulls across between the bedroom area and the living room area.

There will be enough room for a crib, and MIL will be sleeping on the pull out sofa bed.

The JS also has a tub instead of just a shower. Also, the balcony on a GS isn't always larger - it depends on the specific cabin. But the cabin itself is larger and does come with the other nice perks such as the concierge club, which is a separate room with free cappuccino, continental breakfast, complimentary cocktails & I think snacks all day. Plus the concierge can help you with shore excursion, dinner & spa reservations. The JS doesn't have a privacy curtain, which I would really want if I were sharing space w/my MIL!:D

Thanks so much! Didn't know about the two credits...That's a good reason.

You might want to check into that. I thought the double credit applied to junior suite and higher.

We originally booked a junior suite on our upcoming AOS cruise and then decided to spend the extra $600 to upgrade to the Grand Suite. We figured that we'd have to pay $400 for the upgrade at the pier, if we could even get the pier upgrade, so the net cost was actually $200 for us (gotta love the power of rationalization!).

We stayed in a grand suite when we were on the Voyager a couple of years ago and absolutely loved it. The double wide balcony was the absolute best and the bathroom was pretty darn sweet too. We loved it enough that we're spending the money to get it again.

And there's plenty of room in there for a crib.

Lynne

At night, with the sofa bed made up in a JS, it would be tight with the additional crib. Assuming your MIL stayed in the sofa bed, she would have to negotiate around the crib and if front of your bed to get to the bathroom. Think I would consider a GS. Loved the JS for the two of us but its a little close for your configuration.

Yes, I think the GS is the right way to go. We have stayed in both the JS and GS on the Radiance class ships. Bathroom is larger, although both have a tub, you have more storage in the GS, you get a DVD/CD player, which kinda sounds like 5.1 when you play movies (they have them at the concierge lounge) and of course the room itself is much larger. You can entertain in a GS, the JS is a tad too small for this. The concierge lounge is nice although when they are giving out free drinks in the evening, it does tend to get crowded. And you do get 2x credit for all suites, JS and up but you have to be in a GS and up to get the concierge lounge. Anyway, have fun!

Mark

Anyone else used the concierge lounge???

The concierge is a nice addition. You get priority boarding (with a private lounge at the pier). Continental Breakfast, pre-dinner appetizers, beverages (including coffee, tea, cocoa, soda and alcohol) and after dinner desserts. The concierge can book your spa treatments, shore excursions and specialty resturant reservations for you. You will get priority tender tickets (if you are tendering at any port), VIP tickets to the ice skating show (so you don't have to wait in line to get tickets...and you can use yours any night, normally you would have to specify a night). You can also borrow DVD's for the room. And you get priority debarkation upon return.

Personally Hubby and I perfer the GS. There is considerably more space that the JS and the Priority embarkation, VIP Ice skating tickets and the soda/alcohol are worth it for us. We really enjoy the extra perks of the GS :)

Hi Mack...it's Carol from Monroe! We had a Jr. Suite last year....there are three of us...myself, my husband and my daughter (at the time 19). There was space but, I think that you might be happier with a GS. I am glad that you booked it. We booked a GS for our 05/15 cruise. Just remember, the sofa beds are not comfortable according to my daughter, but, your room stewart can make is more comfortable if you request that to happen. That's just in case your MIL is sleeping on it! (Don't want unhappy MIL's).

Carol

Monroe, OH

Archived