Infant on whale watching in Alaska?

displaced

We are travelling to Alaska in May this year. I'm searching for family (actually infant) friendly excursions. Has anyone been on the whale watching excursions? I don't think we would go on the smaller tours as I think the boats would be too small for my comfort. But I've heard the tours through the tour boats take a lot of people and am considering those.

Our son will be 9 mths when we travel. DH isn't convinced we should spend the $$ to do that excursion (yet ;)), but I want to investigate if anyone has been on those boats and think it would be safe for an infant.

FWIW, I'm planning on buying an infant safety vest in case they don't have the right size for him.

Would it be safe to go or safer to skip it? :confused:

We booked whale watching with Orca Enterprises for Juneau in May with our infant. The whale watching is 4 hours I believe.

They were fine with the infant and didn't charge for her, (not that ANYONE should charge for an infant IMHO), as long as she didn't take up any "room" so to say - i.e. no stroller, car seat, etc.

We are however, taking our infant backpack that collapses and have an umbrella stroller for our preschooler who they did charge like half price for, thus why I feel I can bring the small stroller.

Hope that helps. I think if your infant is calm and does well traveling (i.e. running errands with you at home) and you are prepared with food, etc., you will be okay.

FYI - I am still planning to be nursing too which helps A LOT as I have warm emergency comfort available at will call.

Bringing an infant on an Alaskan whale watching cruise should be absolutely fine. I did not have children when we cruised Alaska (I was pg with my oldest), but I remember the excursion vividly.

The boat we were on (also through Orca) had a nice area a step or two below deck that was completely indoors with a bathroom and some tables and chairs and large windows above water level. On deck it was raining slightly and windy (just the weather in on that day) so if I had had an infant with me, I would have spent the tour in the indoor area.

Would it be more fun and a better view to be up top on deck? Of course. But it's nice to know that if the weather is inclement, there is a place to keep the baby warm and dry.

I've never been to Alaska, but I have gone whale watching off the coast of Maine. The weather was clear and the waves were fine, but it was cold out on the ocean with the wind. We all ended up buying sweatshirts from the outfitter to stay warm - not a bad souvenir, but it was unplanned. If your boat has some shelter, you won't need as many layers, but you will probably see more if you can stay on deck. My son was a toddler at the time and fell asleep on the way out of the harbor, so we just kept him wrapped up and stayed seated (no stroller). We all had a great time in spite of the chill. Enjoy your trip.

I'd bring the appropriate life vest for your child. buying one is a goos idea because you can't take one off the ship. If you aren't paying for a child ,I would not expect a life vest for them either.

Just remember, you are on the excursion for 4 hours - you cannot get off- if the seas are rough or your infant is not in the best of moods...it won't be fun.

At that age they haven't developed their motion sickness equilibrium as of yet - so sea sickness is probably not an issue.

at 9 months, I would not have taken my child on an excursion that I wouldn't have been able to leave.

Good luck in your decision!

Orca only takes around 23 people although technically I believe they can handle around 40. The boats booked through NCL hold well over 100 and are double deckers apparently. Orca gives you a lot of room to spread out.

The Orca boats do have an "inside" area that I "believe" is heated and they serve snacks - aka smoked salmon, crackers, etc. I would call them and confirm.

It is 4 hours. I always bring a couple toys with my infant. Basically not being able to get off is not an issue because the whole cruise is a strange environment anyways. She can fall asleep in Daddy's arms if needed and does.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived