Best Time For Mexican Riviera???

richsea

After many Caribbean cruises, while we loved them all, we're thinking of trying Mercury to Mexico as a change of pace, but are not sure if one time of year is any different from another. Should we sail in October/November? Or would Feb/March be better?

We're also wondering how the beaches & water temps compare to those in the Caribbean.

Thanks for your help!!!

Rich

Okay...It's not a simple question...

A few things to understand:

First, the water temperature is much cooler than the Caribbbean. Ocean currents in the Pacific run counter to those in the Atlantic...Whereas Caribbean currents come up from the Equator, Pacific currents come down from Alaska...

Except in the summer, we don't swim in the ocean in California without a wetsuit...Even in the summer, it's cooler in the water than on land...

When you get down to Mexico, though, things get a little warmer...If you are on the Sea of Cortez (Gulf of California), you are somewhat sheltered by the Baja from the Arctic current...and things do warm up a bit farther south...Of course, it's still not as warm as the Caribbean...

As to the best time of year, unfortunately, Celebrity doesn't do too many cruises here at that time...It's May/June and the ships are sent up to Alaska...

Remember also that you pass through multiple climate zones...

San Francisco can be rainy and foggy most of the year...but it's okay there...it adds to the City's charms...

Southern California is a Mediterranean climate: Hot, dry summers, very little rain, usually only in November and March...

Cabo is even a little dryer...A semi-arid desert zone...

Puerto Vallarta is sub-tropical...with lots of rain from mid summer through to the end of the year...hot and humid most of the time...

August/September is the height of the Typhoon Season...It can be very hot, muggy and rainy in Puerto Vallarta...Often, you can stretch those dates from mid-July through to October...

So, really, the optimal cruise weather is from late April to the fourth of July...You get warm weather in California, but not too hot, then you get dryer weather in Mexico, little chance of rain...pleasant conditions all the way around...

good luck...

Having cruised and spent time in both the Carribbean and the Pacific side of Mexico, I would say the optimal time of year is about the same. The weather in Mexico is usually warmer with less rain than the Carribbean. The beaches on either trip are nice.

I, personally, prefer Feb./March over the fall because I desperately need to have a break from the cold winter in Montreal. Also I have found the weather at that time of year beautiful anywhere south.

We have cruised several times during the past ten years to the Mexican Riviera, usually in February. This year we went in mid October and found the weather warmer traveling down and back and also in the ports. Like others have said swimming in the Pacific is much colder than in the Caribbean, so we tend to just do scenic things instead of swimming or snorkeling.

Let me add just a little...

MSBYRDY's post just sort of reminded me...

You will get countless testimonials from people who came this way almost any time of the year and had "perfect weather"...

I actually cruised January 9 of this year and had "perfect weather": Blue skies, temperatures in the 70s...

You see, the weather in this part of the world is someone's idea of "perfect" about 95% of the time...

Southern California has 350+ days of sunshine a year...Anual rainfall is almost not even measurable...we import our water from the Colorado River and the Owens Valley...Cabo has even MORE days of sunshine a year...

When it does rain, it is typically in November and March...but, it's not ALL through November and March...it's maybe a few days in each...or sometimes none...And when it DOES rain, it's not that much...You just never know exactly which 10 or 15 days a year will be the ones with rain...You can take your chances on almost ANY dates...

As far as temperatures, it is not uncommon for highs in the middle of winter to be in the 70s...or even in the 80s...

In other words, from So Cal down to Cabo or Mazatlan, your shot at good weather is about a 100% chance April through October...and it drops to about a 90% chance November to March...

In PV, however, you are in a different climate zone...That said, I have cruised there in AUGUST--in the height of the Typhoon Season...and trust me, it's nothing like the hurricane season in the east...I have had beautiful weather virtually all day in PV...then, around 6:00 pm, a torrential downpour...I've flagged down a cab and rushed back to the ship soaking wet...

Is it unbearable? Heck, no...just a little bizarre...They have these storms every August/September in PV, but, unlike the Caribbean, you never hear of the city being decimated...

So, you can cruise during the Typhoon season...but, all I'm saying is the weather is more optimal in late Spring/early Summer...

There's no really bad time to cruise the Mexican Riviera...but April through June gives you the closest shot at perfection...and if you're looking to swim, the water temperatures in May through August beat November through March...

If your choices are February/March or October/November, I'd say there are trade offs...I'd go any time though...

Keep in mind that the "rainy" season starts in the middle of May till the middle of October. Which means not only a bigger chance on rain, but also the temperature is rising. It can get hot and humid.

Sailing between end of October till mid May is excellent.

Between December and April there is "whale-watching" also.

<<Is it unbearable? Heck, no...just a little bizarre...They have these storms every August/September in PV, but, unlike the Caribbean, you never hear of the city being decimated...

>>

Well Bruin Steve, you seem to forget that in October/November 2002 there was very much damage in Cabo San Lucas and also in P. Vallarta and surroundings due to hurricanes.

"Kenna" distroyed the Malecon in P. Vallarta, heavy damage to various hotels and much of San Blas was blown away.

just a real-world note for the water fans. We were on Mercury in early April of this year, that odd little SF-Monterey-Catalina-Cabo-SF route. In Cabo, the air temp was quite warm, 80-something, and my son and I were DYING to swim ... OH MY. Rather chilly. It did get bearable -- I basically stood in the water for a good long while getting used to it, then submerged to the neck and splashed around a while, but I was really just being stubborn about it, not pleasant swimming temp at all. BEAUTIFUL, however, lovely blue water, and those amazing rocks, etc. ... TR

Keep in mind that the "rainy" season starts in the middle of May till the middle of October.

WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!

I live here...

From SoCal clear down to the tip of Baja, we are in a Mediterranean/Semi-Arid climate...Our rainy season is the exact opposite of most of the world...It simply DOES NOT rain between April and October. The rainy season is different once you get south of Mazatlan...but from there north, the rainy season is very short and not very rainy...

We also DO NOT have "hurricanes" in the Pacific...We do have tropical storms known as "typhoons"--which are pretty much limited to the sub-ropic (ie SOUTH of Mazatlan)...and the Typhoon season does not start until July...and does not really get underway in earnest until the end of July...in Puerto Vallarta...Those calling anything in the Pacific a "hurricane" are merely incorrect in their terminology.

Cabo is DESERT...Any rainstorm is an unusual event in Cabo (or in the entire Baja)...Yes it happens...and, like here in SoCal, there is some disruption and damage--from what most would consider MILD rainfall...hey, we're just not prepared to handle it...

August-November is the Typhoon Season...but it's hardly the killer the Hurricanes are in the Carribean...and the Typhoons rarely get as far north as even Cabo...Cabo is stark desert...less than 10 days with rain per year...and most of those very light..."Kenna" did hit Puerto Vallarta...and more San Blas...but it is the only storm of that magnitude to hit PV in recent memory...and the total of its devastation was TWO deaths and TWO serious injuries...and approximately $25 million in damages...a large part of that to three hotels...But, again, this is EXTREMELY rare...not like the waves of hurricanes that hit the Caribbean EVERY year...

Again, it only gets "hot and humid" in PV and south...Mazatlan and North is desert...humidity is at virtual ZERO almost year round...

Ok, being dutch I donot always know the right word, whether it is a hurricane or typhoon. However the results can be awful.

As the first question was about taking a cruise to and the weather in Mexico (not California) I responded to that.

I have been in P. Vallarta various times (family living there), and I have seen the damage done by "Kenna". It really was more than just 3 hotels.

Thank God it is not every year I agree on that.

In November 2002 there was a lot of damage in Cabo, but as a top meeting with various leaders (Mr. Fox, Bush etc.) was planned, this damage was restored within a week.

Last September some cruise-ships had to change their itineries due to bad-weather in the mexican pacific.

The temperatur of the sea-water indeed can be very cool, not always pleasant for snorkeling.

I guess it is all relative to what you are used too.I don't think the water will ever be warm enough for me.If it is too cold for someone from Seattle.The Mexican Riviera is one place I would love to cruise to.Do any other cruise lines go there in late May,around Memorial day?

Again, it only gets "hot and humid" in PV and south...Mazatlan and North is desert...humidity is at virtual ZERO almost year round...
I took a Mexican Riveria Cruise early Oct 2003. Cabo was VERY HOT and felt very humid, to the point of being unbearable. The temperature had to be a 100 or better. It was so bad, I thought some people were going to pass out while waiting for the tender to take us back to the ship. Mazatlan was hot but nothing like Cabo.

I have been to the canal, Costa Rica and yes it was hot and humid but nothing like that day in Cabo.

I am not saying this is the usual weather for Cabo, but the day I was there it was the worst heat I have ever been in.

Thanks for all your replies. I understand that there are no sure things when it comes to weather, regardless of where or when you cruise. Actually, the water temperature mat be of bigger concern for us because one of our favorite activities while cruising is finding new beaches. Decisions, decisions!!!

Thanks again.

Rich

I have been on 2 Mex Riv cruises, one was a repositioning that started in Acapulco and went all the way up to San Fransico the other was the standard Los Angeles round trip just this past April. While in Mexico and sailing the waters in Mexico it was very warm, beautiful, however once we sailed around the tip of Cabo to head back up to LA and San Fran it dropped in temperature to the point anyone that was sitting out by the pool was doing so in a sweatshirt and shorts, maybe 3 people braving the pool water, but it was cold, both times, and totally overcast with "marine layer" so no direct sun either. My husband grew up in So Cal and yes it is warm there nearly year round but out on the water it is chilly, I would recommend a sweatshirt definitely no matter when you go, and once you pass Cabo enjoy the warmth! As others noted, the water is certainly cooler than the caribbean and not blue like the caribbean either, but Mexico has it's own flavor and fun things to do - enjoy!

I'd agree with "perki" , we sailed last April 24th, and while the air temperature was above 80 degrees throughout the Mexican portion of the trip, the evening air temperature on board was cold. The 3 sea days saw "NO ONE" sitting around the pool because the air temp was 55-60 degrees with a wind. Yes there was a marine layer and fog during 2 mornings. Sea days in the Caribbean are 150% better than on the Pacific.

I'm realizing that although, I know its not the caribbean, are there ANY good snorkeling spots (temperate and clear) anyone can recommend on the Mexican Riviera??? We're booked for the end of January.

K

I personally have never snorkeled in the Mex Riv but I have seen several groups in Cabo near the rock formation by Lover's Beach I think it's called - can't miss it as it is the most famous part of Cabo right by where the boat anchors (tender port). Try http://www.loscabosguide.com they have snorkel info there and do a general search on either Yahoo or Google for Puerto Vallarta & Mazatlan snorkeling. Also Frommers.com usually has good info.

Archived