Need help choosing Cozumal dolphin adventure

samfine

We are going to be on the Enchantment of the Seas in late May and will be stopping in Cozumel. I would like to do a dolphin encounter, and this is probably the only time I will ever have the chance. I was wondering if someone could tell me the difference between the "Dolphin Encounter" for 98.00, the "Dolphin Push, Pull, and Swim" for 119.00, and the "Dolphin Swim and Ride" for 139.00 and the "Royal" encounter, which is not offered by RCI but which is 149.00 on a website for the vendor at Chancanaab, and which several people have mentioned on the message board. I assume it has something to do with length of time with the dolphins.

Also, can someone tell me if this is the best (or possibly only) dolphin encounter location in Cozumel?

Does one of these dolphin adventures offer paid taxi to the location? How much do you tip the cab driver?

As you can see, I don't know much about cruising!!

We have done the Royal Dolphin Swim at Chankanaab a number of times, and highly recommend it. You have more interaction with the dolphins than in the other choices, and as long as you are moderately comfortable in the water, will be able to enjoy every single one of the interactions offered.

There are professional photographers doing a recording and taking still pics while you play and interact. We spend almost as much on the photos and DVD as we do on the Royal Swim, but since the photos are part of our happy wall, it is worth it to us, so when you plan your budget, you might want to take that into account as well. BUT - it is soooo worth it, IMHO.

Princess allows us to buy this through their shore excursion desk, so that is how we have always done it. You can also book directly through Chankanaab Park/Dolphin Discovery, and just take a cab yourself. I don't remember the cab fare cost, but it isn't that much, and they are happy to take US $. Tip a few bucks, more or less. There are taxis that are pretty readily available. If you are doing it on your own, do print out the discount coupons for admission to the park, and consider spending most of the day there. In addition to the dolphins, there is pool area, beach area, snacks, really decent lockers and facilities.

I don't know for sure if this is the only dolphin encounter on Cozumel, but I tend to think so, And if this is your "only chance" go for the Royal - it is by far the best. DH and I also think that Cozumel is the best place to do it, compared to some other islands and options.

One word of caution - try not to lean on the wire fencing that is underwater around the enclosure. Fire coral has grown on it and you might have a stingy rash for a few days if you bump against it or lean against it. I always remember that, but manage to come in contact with it, nonetheless. It doesn't diminish the experience at all.

We have taken waterproof cameras with us to take our own photos, but they just don't compare with the ones you can buy there.....expensive but what a memory.

The dolphins are incredible, and you will be amazed at how absolutely powerful they are when you do the "superman" encounter where two push you out of the water by the bottoms of your feet, and also when they pull you through the water on their dorsal fins. Dolphin kisses are great....

have a memorable time.:D

Don't let the thought of having to make your own arrangements for this stop you from doing it!! Really!!!!:):)

Wow, thanks for the reply ggPrincess2004. That was so helpful!! About how long are you actually in the water with the dolphins? How many people and dolphins are in a group at a time? When is the best time of the day to do this? Our ship is supposed to get into Cozumel at 10 am.

Thanks

I had posted my experience with the dolphins on a thread today so you might want to read through it. Definitely go for the Royal Swim. The brochure states you get 1 hour in the water with them as opposed to 45 minutes for the other swims. I think 9:00 is the earliest you can do it. We were glad we went early rather than later so that we had more time to snorkel and relax the rest of the day. There were 9 of us in our group. You can find more information on their website www.dolphindiscovery.com

Wow, thanks for the reply ggPrincess2004. That was so helpful!! About how long are you actually in the water with the dolphins? How many people and dolphins are in a group at a time? When is the best time of the day to do this? Our ship is supposed to get into Cozumel at 10 am.

Thanks

About an hour....about 10 max, but if they aren't busy it could be smaller. With a cruise ship in, probably at least 10. Two dolphins per group, you will remember your dolphins' names....hope you have a fabulous time. Please write about it when you get back.:D

I did a Dolphin Trainer excursion in Cozumel at a place called Dolphinaris. Yes, there are two places in Cozumel you can go play with the dolphins, however, Dolphinaris offers the only Dolphin Trainer excursion. It is a bit pricey at a little over $200. But well worth the money. We booked through Carnival so we got the added comfort of knowing we'll make it back to the ship. It was almost a 6hr excursion. Included a Dolphin Trainer T-shirt you take home, locker and towel for your use there, Behind the scenes tour, Training session with the dolphins making them do tricks and learning all the signs, private snorkel in a lagoon, several hours swimming in a private pool with the dolphins, doing tricks and riding them, Free lunch (THIS WAS AWESOME), two free drinks (including alcohol), two free pictures of your session, and a Trainer Certificate. I highly recommend this one.

I did a Dolphin Trainer excursion in Cozumel at a place called Dolphinaris. Yes, there are two places in Cozumel you can go play with the dolphins, however, Dolphinaris offers the only Dolphin Trainer excursion. It is a bit pricey at a little over $200. But well worth the money. We booked through Carnival so we got the added comfort of knowing we'll make it back to the ship. It was almost a 6hr excursion. Included a Dolphin Trainer T-shirt you take home, locker and towel for your use there, Behind the scenes tour, Training session with the dolphins making them do tricks and learning all the signs, private snorkel in a lagoon, several hours swimming in a private pool with the dolphins, doing tricks and riding them, Free lunch (THIS WAS AWESOME), two free drinks (including alcohol), two free pictures of your session, and a Trainer Certificate. I highly recommend this one.

this looks like something that we would be interested in next time we hit Cozumel. What kind of in water interactions did you have with the dolphins? Were you doing dorsal fin rides and the like? Thanks!

My sister and i just booked the Dolphin Encounter at Channknaab. I'm so excited. Does anyone know if you can take picks of the dolphins during the encounter? I would assume no, put it doesnt hurt to

ask

Thanks

Darla

Darla, I read in another thread that you can take pictures but they don't turn out as good as the professional ones they take and sell. Also someone said they won't let you video tape.

DH booked the Dolphin Swim and Ride at Dolphinaris for us and our four kids on April 11. We really wanted to do the Trainer Program but with 6 people it was a little too pricey for us.

Do you know if the behind the scenes tour, snorkel, free lunch etc... is included in all programs or just the Dolphin Trainer?

Thanks!:)

Oooops, guess I should have done a little more research before my last post. :o

Being that I just realized that we don't get any of the goodies you got with Dolphin Trainer program, do you have any suggestions of anything else closeby to Dolphinaris to do with a 16, 14, 13, and 10 year olds?

Archived