Diamonds International

D&S GoGoGo

I have read some positive posts and negative through the years. Please do a search not just on the Belize board, but for DI on all the boards. It will give you some great feedback. Decide is it worth the risk if you have any problems.

I have a trustworthy person I buy jewelry from in the U.S., and when I'm going to spend a lot, I will only go through him. I would never buy anything big from a place in a different country.

When we cruise, I always buy a trinket at Colombian Emeralds. Anything I have purchased, I had appraised when we got home. every purchase was appraised for 50 to 75% more than what I paid. We will be going on a cruise in November to celebrate our 40th anniversary and plan on getting some tanzanite. I wouldn't hesitiate to purchase on the islands.

Judy

• 5 months later...

I would recommend that you stay very far away from this company. Several years ago I purchased an item (under $500) that needed to be sized. They told me to take it to another location on a different island. I went there the next day and the refused to do it, so I returned the ring. They never refunded my money. I fought for several years over this and was called a liar and a cheat. Eventually I was offered a $100 credit, which I refused.

There may be a few good stories about this company, but my experience says to stay FAR away. If they cheated me on a less than $500 purchase and stole my money, I'm sure they wouldn't hesitate to screw someone over on a much larger purchase.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I'm sorry to hear of your bad experience from DI. Did you return it within 30 days of purchase? Carnival gives you their back up for 30 days on anything you buy at one of their recommended stores. DI is their #1 recommended stores, and I don't think they would want the bad publicity and the chance of the cruise ships not recommending them. Did you ever contact your cruise line for their help with the matter?

I have made many purchases at DI over the years. My largest purchase being a $2500 John Henry Alexandrite ring, my birthstone. I had looked in the States, and most jewelry stores don't even have them inventoried, and would have to be special ordered...very rare and expensive stone. After my purchase, I took it for 2 different appraisals when I got home, and both appraisals were almost $4000. Both gemologist I took the ring to, were amazed at the quality and the price I gave for my ring.

My very first purchase at DI, was a tanzanite ring, many years ago. A few years after I purchased it, one of the australian opal inlays came out and was lost. The next cruise we went on, I brought it along with my reciept, (I save all and keep in the jewelry box) first port went straight to DI and they were happy to replace it for me, and when we went to pick it up and pay for the replacement, they didn't even charge me, even though the warranty was up. I have always been happy with my purchases at DI.

You need to write to DI headquartars, which by the way, is in NY.

I buy with confidence at ship recommended stores, just always fill out your buyers warranty on the ship, and save all your reciepts.

Wow, I'm sorry to hear of your bad experience from DI. Did you return it within 30 days of purchase? Carnival gives you their back up for 30 days on anything you buy at one of their recommended stores. DI is their #1 recommended stores, and I don't think they would want the bad publicity and the chance of the cruise ships not recommending them. Did you ever contact your cruise line for their help with the matter?

I have made many purchases at DI over the years. My largest purchase being a $2500 John Henry Alexandrite ring, my birthstone. I had looked in the States, and most jewelry stores don't even have them inventoried, and would have to be special ordered...very rare and expensive stone. After my purchase, I took it for 2 different appraisals when I got home, and both appraisals were almost $4000. Both gemologist I took the ring to, were amazed at the quality and the price I gave for my ring.

My very first purchase at DI, was a tanzanite ring, many years ago. A few years after I purchased it, one of the australian opal inlays came out and was lost. The next cruise we went on, I brought it along with my reciept, (I save all and keep in the jewelry box) first port went straight to DI and they were happy to replace it for me, and when we went to pick it up and pay for the replacement, they didn't even charge me, even though the warranty was up. I have always been happy with my purchases at DI.

You need to write to DI headquartars, which by the way, is in NY.

I buy with confidence at ship recommended stores, just always fill out your buyers warranty on the ship, and save all your reciepts.

It was returned the very next day after purchase - certainly within 30 days! DI was one of RCCL's recommended stores too. They were of absolutely zero help in the situation when it counted. The only was I ever got an offer of $100 was that the shopping advisor told them I was going to purchase something $500+ if they would refund my original purchase.

I have no faith in the cruiseline "recommended shops" or their supposed protection in case of bad events. Maybe they care if you are spending thousands of dollars, but the money I spent at that time I had saved for almost a year. It was a huge loss to me.

Thanks for the advice, but I DID contact headquarters in New York. I am a very well-informed consumer, especially these days. I have had more than 10 conversations with the people at DI over many years. The simple fact is that they refuse to acknowledge my return of the item and refuse to refund my money, even when I offered to use it as a store credit for a more expensive item.

To the OP and ANYONE ELSE considering Diamonds International, the rest of the board is also filled with horror stories and complaints about them. As always, caveat emptor.

IMHO coming from a jewelers back ground.......... You will always do better establishing a jeweler at home. Not unlike a valuable and trusted Doctor or Auto mechanic. You know you will get quality. In most cases personal care and upgrades can be expected. Freebies are often offered by your home trusted Jeweler. Extras like free cleaning and repair when needed. Also real deep honest discounts on quality purchases.

Diamonds international is in EVERY port of call. You won't know the TRUE quality of a purchase until you come home and have it appraised. Anything can be printed to look official by any retailer in foreign shop. Also the cruise industry are getting their cut. ;)

Buyer beware when away from a trusted Jeweler.

I purchased 3 pieces years ago, because I knew one of the manager's (Natalie) in the Cozumel store. She was from Canada.

Since she retired....I have not purchased any more jewelry. However, hubby purchased a Breitling Watch in Belize and got a very good deal (and a $400 winder which was shipped to us from Miami).

As with any purchase in a foreign port...it is buyer beware. You MUST know your price and be knowledgable about the product before you purchase.

The reason I bought my two tennis bracelets years ago was because DI did their own designs. I did not like the XOXOXO and ~~~~~ that were so popular back then. I still love my two tennis bracelets as much today as I did the day I bought them back in 1999. I also have a sapphire and diamond ring that I love.

The ship guarantee does not protect you where the price is concerned. Only that the color, cut, clarity and carat weight are what is represented on the certificate.

While I have not purchased anything since Natalie retired (because I trusted her)....I always go into Diamonds International to look. And in the past 5 years, I have become increasingly concerned with the "haggling" that they do. And one time I was blatantly lied to. I was told that a stone that had been lazered was not less valuable .... and it is. That is why any stone that has been lazered has it noted on the Certificate. But that manager is now gone.

So for small purchases....you should be ok....but just know they are big into haggling now ....so KNOW YOUR PRICE before you go in and stick to your guns.

Archived