Galveston Hotels - April 09

TheTylerose

Cruising out of Galveston April 13th and book a room in a economy hotel there because they were the only ones I saw online that would let you leave your car at the hotel and take a cab to the terminal and back. When I booked, the hotel lady told me that 60 percent of Galveston was back up and running and a lot of construction continuing and several good resturants open. Is there anyone out there that can testify to this? Anyone else out there booking hotels for April 11 or 12, 2009 in Galveston? ;)

Yes, there is a huge group of us staying at the Hotel Galvez. I booked mine thru Priceline for $80 plus tax and fees...$100 total. The regular price is $189 to $259 per night. I had originally booked the Holiday Inn for $97 per night, but for a few dollars more, made a huge upgrade to the Galvez. If you use Priceline, make sure you enter 3 or 3.5 stars, and bid about $90. I tried to go lower and got it but a few others after me were rejected. They had to go out of the website, go back in and re-do it. They bid $90 and it was accepted. Whatever hotel they give you in the $100 range with 3-3.5 stars will be good. Good luck.

DMS 42. I am so glad you gave the advice on Priceline.com! I went online and took your advise and changed from a cheesy quality inn to the Galvez and saved over 160. dollars. Hubby and I are coming Saturday and our kids 25 and 31 are meeting up with us Sunday. Then Monday we all sail. Woo Hoo!! Do you know if we can leave our cars at the Galvez?

DMS 42. I am so glad you gave the advice on Priceline.com! I went online and took your advise and changed from a cheesy quality inn to the Galvez and saved over 160. dollars. Hubby and I are coming Saturday and our kids 25 and 31 are meeting up with us Sunday. Then Monday we all sail. Woo Hoo!! Do you know if we can leave our cars at the Galvez?

Congrats on your good deal. Yes you can leave your cars. There may be a small charge for the week. They will charge for parking per night per cruise. They have a shuttle to take you to the cruise terminal but you must sign up for it when you check in at the hotel. Sign up right away or you will end up in the last group boarding. You might want to call the Galvez and tell them you will need the cruise parking and shuttle service. Also, they have 2 doubles or one king rooms. You might tell them if you have a preference.

Bon voyage.

Patti

Excellent advise! Will call them right now. Don't think my hubby will wait on shuttle, we will most likely take taxi. You would just have to know him on early arrivals. We are usually at football games before the teams and before the gates open. lol But I am not complaining, there are many wives that have no clue where there husbands are, and mine includes me with all aspects of his life. We are a team! I wish every married couple could have what we have. lol:D

Yes, Galveston is coming back a lot quicker than New Orleans did. The hotels and restaurants along Seawall Blvd. have come back quicker than some in the Strand, Downtown and old Historic neighborhoods.

The local Galveston Banks started making rebuilding loans within days of the hurricane and did not wait to see what FEMA was going to do. They figured they would address that later.

Seawall Blvd. - Anything built on piers over the gulf was gone or severely damaged but anything built on the land side of Seawall Blvd. came back fairly quickly. the Seawall hotels and Restaurants were hit hard by high winds and wind blown water but high enough to be protected from the tidal surge.

The Strand, Downtown and many of the neighborhoods were hit hard by the tidal surge from Galveston Bay not the Gulf. Many of these areas had 6' to 9' of water from the bay side of the island and had to be gutted and rebuilt. The tourist areas around The Strand & Post Office St. are coming back strong but the neighborhoods are taking a bit longer due to having to wait for FEMA & Insurance companies.

From what I've heard locally, it looks like the Seawall hotels and restaurants are about 80% to 90% back. The Strand and Post Office businesses are about 50% to 60% back today with many more scheduled to reopen in April & May. They want to be open for the summer tourist season.

Tylerose-

Good job on the Galvez. Wish I could take the credit, but I read about it from another poster and did it for myself. I cant wait for our trip too. We fly into Houston on the 11th, so we'll get to the Galvez that evening. I'm so excited and ready for a nice vacation!!

We have had a terrible week with both of our kids getting hammered with the big hail storm in Austin. Both had hail damage to their vehicles and one has a shattered sunroof glass. Luckily both of them were not in they vehicles when it happened. Then we had to call 911 for my dad who was in respiratory distress on Sunday and now is in the hospital. Expecting another chance of large hail here tonight. The 11th can't possibly get here fast enough. I have a question and I will ask you first. I have cell service with AT&T wireless. Do you know anything about what happens if we use our cell phone on board? I have heard large roaming charges, and also requirement to reprogram, but have not had the time to check it out. :confused:

. I have a question and I will ask you first. I have cell service with AT&T wireless. Do you know anything about what happens if we use our cell phone on board? I have heard large roaming charges, and also requirement to reprogram, but have not had the time to check it out. :confused:

Call 611 and discuss

Order international service.

You can order for one month.

Text as much as you can.

And Turn off fetch new data in settings.

There are pointers on website for travel.

My cell IPhone works literally 99% of time in Gulf, Atlantic, Carribean and Mediterranean

including on ship in waters.

San Juan no roaming.

USVI and BVI Islands and St Johns and St Thomas there is a tower.

and sometime works with no roaming.

Gotta Pay to Play.

• 2 weeks later...

Questions to those who got a Galvez room for $80 ......

It states that rooms are for 2 people, did any of you have 3? Did the Galvez honor the reservation for 3? Is there an extra charge? Do you happen to know the current charge for parking during a 7-day cruise?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I can't find the Hotel Galvez on priceline at all...HELP:confused:

Just go to priceline and go to bid on rooms. If you check that you are interested in a 3+ star hotel, it only quotes the Galvez. I put the bid price of $90.00 yet there were others that got it at $80.00. We returned Saturday from our cruise and the two days at the Galvez, we were treated with royality. I will never stay anywhere else in Galveston. Cruise was good too but being my first cruise, I was expecting more 'over the top' in several areas. I will go again...

Have fun on your cruise and let me know what you do on the Galvez.

• 5 weeks later...
Just go to priceline and go to bid on rooms. If you check that you are interested in a 3+ star hotel, it only quotes the Galvez. I put the bid price of $90.00 yet there were others that got it at $80.00. We returned Saturday from our cruise and the two days at the Galvez, we were treated with royality. I will never stay anywhere else in Galveston. Cruise was good too but being my first cruise, I was expecting more 'over the top' in several areas. I will go again...

Have fun on your cruise and let me know what you do on the Galvez.

We're cruising in August, and I have put in many, many bids on priceline ranging from 3.5 stars at $130 down to 2 stars at $100 and have had no luck. I'm afraid prices in Galveston at the height of summer are much more expensive, plus the hotel really has no motivation to sell a really cheap room 3 months out.

Archived