Preference of dinner table guests

During our mediterranen cruise we sat with only one other elderly couple at a table for 8 - which was not nice at all, even though we are eldery as well.

This time we are on the wait list on the Jewel of the Seas and we don't know if we eat early or late, nor what size table we have.

cruisecrasy, we did your route last year on the Serenade of the Seas. We will be on the 21st of June sailing to the Norwegian Fjords.

I hope you'll have nice companions.

Here is a question...we've always been fortunate to have wonderful tablemates...we choose a large table 8+...and we've always made dinner with our tablemates...never missed...came in running a couple times...but never missed.

OK...question...since my next cruise is the Radiance class...with alternative dining...has anyone found that on these ships...that the dining room is half empty due to people seeking the alternative dinners? Just wondering.

Serenade of the Seas - April 2005 - Our first balcony!!!

RCCL Majesty of the Seas - April 2004

Carnival Inspiration - June 2003

RCCL Monarch of the Seas - July 2002

Dentalchic-

I didn't notice that on the Radiance last month..

Dining room fairly full each evening.

We were at a table for 8... one couple never showed up. Of the six remaining, the other two couples each did alternative dining one night, and we and our waiter knew ahead of time, so things worked out real well.

BTW - We did Chops for lunch one day. They were open for lunch on sea days only. We had a seaside table for two. The meal was wonderful... but ruined much of the afternoon, as we overindulged, and required a loooooong nap afterwards!

Click this link to see how cruisers are helping orphans in Honduras: http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=939097554&m=765101151

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;08;23;13;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500   'til we re-board our beloved Sovereign!

then, Splendour of the Seas ...

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;01;02;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Sovereign 01/02, 11/02, 6/03, 08/03, 09/03

Fantasy 06/2002

Mariner 12/03 , Radiance 04/04

We usually have a table for 6. We have met some wonderful people that way. We are still in contact with some, in fact last October we were invited to the wedding of one older couple down in Maine. Did we go? You betcha!!! Loved it!!!

On our Serenade cruise, we knew we would be going to the alternate dining rooms so, once we had met our tablemates, we told them what nights we were going and invited them to go with us if they wished. We told them not to feel obligated and to take their time thinking about it and just let us know either way. (We had met one couple on cc before the cruise.)

Also, when we made our reservations in the other dining rooms, we did tell them there would be 2 or 6. They said no problem and once we knew just let them know.

btw - our tablemates did join us in the alternative dining room on both nights. We had a great time!!!

Marilyn

Cunard - various ships over many years

Song of America

Grandeur of the Seas

Dreamward

Infinity

Azur

Sovereign of the Seas

Serenade of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;6;19;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100 Til the Brilliance in the Med.!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;1;17;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Nordic Empress

<center>

shipmar2.gif </center>

marship.gif

Gee, I never heard of "alternate" dining room seating. Are you talking about the dining room where you pay ? We are still on the wait list for early seating. We'd hate to have the late seating. We'd even put up with crouchy table partners if we got early seating.

Thanks...I'd just hate to not be joined by our tablemates...it is always so much fun!!!

Serenade of the Seas - April 2005 - Our first balcony!!!

RCCL Majesty of the Seas - April 2004

Carnival Inspiration - June 2003

RCCL Monarch of the Seas - July 2002

travel2 - I meant Chops and Portofino's. Sorry if I confused you.

Dentalchic - I'm not sure we would always ask our tablemates to join us, it depends on the vibes I guess. But, no matter what, we would always tell them when we are not going to be there. I think that's only curteous.

I'm not sure how we're going to do this on our next cruise as I expect our shore excursions are going to be very long. On those days, or most of them, we very well might just use the alternate. Then we don't have to worry about rushing. We have early seating.

Marilyn

Cunard - various ships over many years

Song of America

Grandeur of the Seas

Dreamward

Infinity

Azur

Sovereign of the Seas

Serenade of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;6;19;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100 Til the Brilliance in the Med.!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;1;17;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Nordic Empress

<center>

shipmar2.gif </center>

marship.gif

We usually get seated with other couples my husband's age (I'm 16 years younger), this is good, but it would be nice to have some folks under 40 at the table too. There are somethings I like to do that the "old man" icon_wink.gif would never enjoy (think disco) and it would be easier if I met more folks my age. But I love meeting other people and will always request a big table. We seem to have a pattern of really clicking with one couple, another couple kind of getting on our nerves, and the final two couples being nice enough but not going out of our way to spend time with them.

Vicki

Check out my guide for first time cruisers http://www.vsn.org/cruise

Radiance 6/2002

Radiance 10/2002

Brilliance 11/2003

[/b]

LEGEND OF THE SEAS - September 26, 2004

Visit our Roll Call HERE

Cruise Europe 2005 (CC Group Cruise)- June 5, 2005 on the Brilliance

Visit our Roll Call HERE

I'm with Folgy. icon_wink.gif We have had great tablemates on most cruises. We normally get a large table, increasing the chance that we will have something in common with someone. On the Spririt it was two other couples in our age group and we hung out with them on the ship most of the time, too, as many of the other cruisers were older. On the Navigator we were with three other couples: Mom and Dad and their daughter, son-in-law, son, and daughter-in-law. We were nervous about that at first but they were a delightful family and got along great together as with us. The one time we we sat with a family of six that included a 10 year old boy and 4 year old girl it was a nightmare. The girl, especially, was bored quickly and crawling under the table, spitting her food out, etc.

Holiday 7/95

Enchanted Isle 7/96

Jubilee 7/97

Destiny 7/99

Triumph 7/21/01

Explorer 6/22/02

Conquest 6/22/03

Navigator 1/24/04

Carnival Spirit 2/27/04

Mariner 10/17/04

Adventure 2/13/05

ship_in_a_bottle_e0.gif

HI,

We like a table for 2. We go on a cruise to enjoy each other's company. During the year we don't get to see much of each other. My boyfriend is a CPA and works from the beginning of January until the end of April, doing taxes for 4 months straight without a day off, gets really stressful for him. So we take a cruise so he can relax. We don't want to sit at a table with a bunch of motormouths that won't shut up. It's not that we don't mind meeting new people and having pleasant conversation, it's just that we love to spend our own quality time together. It's usually the only time we actually get to sit down at a dinner table and eat together. We like to have a romantic dinner together, without someone ruining the mode for us. We are hoping for a table for 2 on the 9Night Voyager of the SEas June 4th 2004. Everyone likes to do different things, it's all in what you would like to do. Have fun on your next cruise!!!

Table for 2 is my first request if traveling with my SO; a large table if travelling solo or with friends.

I will ask to be moved if I am seated with kids or teens. I have none of my own and much prefer to be seated with adults. If there were adults only cruises on RCI, I would be the first to book one!

RCI(37),NCL(11),Princess(1),HAL(2),Celebrity(3), Carnival(2), Eastern Cruise Lines(13),Radisson(2), Star Clippers(1),Home Lines(2), Costa(5),Others (20)

Archived