Langages other than English in HAL

carregado

Hello,

I never sailed HAL before. Will do so on the Amsterdam in March 30th :D (please check the Roll call board if you are also taking this cruise).

I also have been thinking in sending my parents on another HAL cruise. But my parents don't speak good english. They might understand some words but it woul be very hard for them to manage without translation.

My question is: Does the HAL staff speak other langages than English? Is everything written in English? Is it usual to have more people that doesn't speak english on HAL cruises?

Thanks for your help.

From what I understand your parents will have a problem traveling alone on a HAL ship without speaking English. Everything is written in English. The crew speaks Filipino and Indonesian and have a lot of problems with English themselves. The officers are Dutch, though some of them certainly may be multi-lingual other than English- French? Italian? Spanish? Don't know, but there wouldn't be a translator assigned to them all the time, I'm sure.

I would call Ships Services and discuss it with them. I'm sure it is not the first time the subject has arisen as the ships do sail in Europe.

You might check if there is a tour group from Portugal on a particular sailing. . On one sailing there was a tour group that didn't speak English. They met for a briefing each day and did shore excursions together. HAL might be able to tell you when non-English speaking tour groups are sailing.

:cool:

On Princess they do have menus in other languages BUT you must contact the cruise line a minimum of 60 days before. I believe there is a small charge as well. People on one of my cruises spoke Spanish only and they had menus in that language. A person at my table spoke spanish and learned about this from them. They also announced in english and spanish while going through the canal.

Since your parents cruise is starting in Rio, there may be a number of Brazilians on board. When we sailed HAL from San Juan a few years ago (with a number of Puerto Ricans) announcements were also made in Spanish and menus were available in Spanish. I only know about the menus, because one night our server in the Crow’s Nest gave me the dinner menu to preview. It was the Spanish version – and it happened to be ‘Dutch’ night. It’s been a while since I studied Spanish, so it was ‘interesting’ reading the Dutch names with the Spanish descriptions. Since menus were available in Spanish, the daily programs may also have been. So, it may be possible that consideration will be made if there are a number of Portuguese speakers on your parents sailing. Since the Amsterdam will have been sailing to/from Rio for several months, I wouldn't be surprised if the menus are at least available in Portuguese.

Possibly someone who has done a SA cruise can help more, but I’d e-mail HAL in Seattle for more definitive information. Good luck -

Since your parents cruise is starting in Rio, there may be a number of Brazilians on board......

I don't see where he said his PARENT's cruise was starting in Rio. Yes, his on the Amsterdam, but he said he would send his parents on another cruise . Yes, if his parents were cruising from Rio there probably many pax who spoke Portuguese, but I don't see where we know that.

Indeed I am sailing from Rio. What I am thinking is if I can offer a cruise on HAL to my parents (not this one...:) ).

From what I read, the best will probably be to send them with a large group organize by a TA. This way they certainly wouldn't fell lost...:cool:

Thanks for your insights!!!

Happy sailings

Many years ago we sat with a couple who were originally from Argentina, now living in Canada. Sitting across was a lady and her son from Brazil. Unfortunately the son spoke very little English, and our tablemate only spoke Spanish, so she was unable to communicate or help them. I don't think they enjoyed the cruise at all.

Years ago, HAL had an International Staff person on board, but she spoke mostly German, French and Dutch.

I think it would be best if you booked your folks with a TA who is doing a group where the majority spoke Portugese. I doubt you will find this on HAL. Good luck and I do hope you enjoy your cruise on the Amsterdam.

On our SA cruise last year, there were a lot of Spanish-speaking guests on board, and all announcements were made in English and Spanish. Also, during Bingo, they had bilingual players who assisted in translating the rules, etc. I don't know if they also had Spanish versions of the daily bulletin and menus. We ended our cruise in Rio, so I don't know if there was a contingent of Brazilian guests on the outbound voyage.

Archived