Claustrophobia- Belize

Beth Shaughnessy

We went on the Land Rover/cave tour last week. The first cave that you enter is big enough, but further on , they get pretty small. I'd estimate the average cave to be about four and a half feet high and an equal distance wide. Some were 12 feet high, and some were three feet high. I'm just above five feet, but in most areas, I had to crouch or crawl. In the areas which were less than six feet tall, we didn't stop. We only stopped were it was big enough for our group of about 10 to stand together.

There was one lady on our tour who had to turn back because of claustrophobia. She was in the group ahead of us and said that she started crying and couldn't stop.

We were supplied with miner's lights to strap to our heads. The caves are made with limestone, so it was fairly light with the lights.

There were a couple of bats in one cave. In another cave, there were several spiders about 3 inches in diameter. We learned that these were the babies. Momma spider was about 10 inces in diameter. None of the critters bothered us.

If you are referring to the cave tubing...they are fairly large...some places are much lower/narrower than others, but in the middle of the caves it is completely dark. You will be given headlamps but they really only illuminate a couple inches of what you are pointing them at. I am not claustrophobic, so I do not know what will be uncomfortable for you. When I went, the caves were jammed packed with people and I hated that.

So am I-big time- and you should be fine. The caves get dark but you know going into them that you could find your way out. I never had a problem-NOW i will tell you one place NEVER NEVER go to-Aruba caves-I don't even like to think about that adventure. The only thing that kept me from falling apart was that my son-in-law was with us and he is a paramedic and I knew i was in good hand if I could not keep going. Just wanted to throw it in because it is one of the main things people do in Aruba Dot

Archived