PoA Review 3-21-09 18 points, and ports

basketballdad

Just returned off the March 21 2009 sailing of Pride of America. Had a balcony room on deck 9. Many people have posted the Pride of America was just something they endured to get to see the Islands. I thought the ship has been underrated and the Hawaiian Islands over-rated. Just got home, very jet lagged, but let me share a few items. 18 things to know, then a general island review.

#1. When you get to the ports there are porters at the first main security check in but you don’t need to use them as most were taking their bags right to the drop off point. I have been to other ports in Florida and you basically have to use porters as they “disappear somewhere” with your bags (and tip). But here you don’t.

#2. NCL will hold your bags until 530 or 600 pm for $5 per bag at the pier if you want them do. Beats $25 per person for fly away. We ended up renting a big van and taking luggage with us because we had a 1030 pm flight.

#3. Food closes 4-5 pm first day due to muster drill. Got on board, famished, at 355 and had to wait.

#4. Muster drill was a bit optional. Did not make it and no one said a thing.

#5. Wow, the staff was friendly!!! The best part, being native English speakers from towns I have been to, is that you can actually have great conversations with the staff. There might be harder workers, faster workers, from other countries but for me it gets old trying to communicate with some of them. It was enjoyable to be able to clearly understand and communicate with the staff! Hats off to them! They, for the most part, made a huge effort to talk to you.

#6. Yes the dinning rooms are horribly slow.. 2 hours! They are just understaffed it seemed. The guys are running around trying to serve everyone.

#7. There is no lobster night. On Friday there is a dish called “surf and more surf” that includes a half of lobster tail with other sea food.

#8. This ship is cool. Huge library, game room, and probably the best fitness center I have seen on a ship in 17 cruises.

#9. Kids club is only open in the evenings 6-10:30 pm (Friday opens at 2) but is pretty good. Daytime babysitting is available for $5 per hour for first kid, $3 additional.. but with few or no other kids while in port.

#10. Enjoyed the Cadillac dinner. Food ok, video jukebox was cool where you could load up free selections by genre ( I had REM man on the moon, the proclaimer’s 500 miles, and OMD going strong),

#11. I thought the main buffet was good, very large, with fondue, hot deserts, and extra treats in the kids section on port side like M&m candies. You can grab handfuls of the toppings of ice cream like the chocolate covered raisins and M&Ms!

#12. Every port had a maps brochure with most of the common activities like helicopter rides, snuba, etc for 30% off or more. If you are gutsy you can avoid prebooking and probably save if you are early off the boat and ready to make your plans that morning.

#13 on the tv they had typical channels showing ship info and locations, bow cam, and 2 movie channels on going, as well as a few other channels. They give you a print out showing the entire week of movies.. teenagers went to sleep watching 21.

#14. Toby Beau was pretty good.. did a Beatles Tribute, Eagles Tribute, Jimmy Buffet Tribute, and a general rock and roll one. The magician was good and the comedian all right.

#15. Packed tickets but just needed ID to get on ship.

#16 typical ship room safe that you just put in your 4 digit code of your choice.

#17 your room key gets you on and off the ship like normal but you need a picture ID also to get back on the ship. A guy behind me did not like the hassle of all the security and told a couple workers to relocate to the Texas Arizona boarder where people just walk into our country unchecked. The workers gave him a blank stare.

#18. Loved being in the US. In days gone by large groups would bring walkie talkies and such (annoying) .. now, you can either call or text in every port. We texted a lot to communicate dinner times and such with our group. All on our local network. It was non-intrusive to the other guests. Can not do that in many other ports!

Ok, some typical stuff.

Maui we rented a car.. lots of shuttles and there are 2 free lots to park overnight if needed. There are free shuttles into town as well. Budget allows you to go back and park car in their lot overnight for $10 if you can not find a spot in town. Sunday we went to church, then drove around. Monday went to Big beach all the way south and rented boogie boards. Tip: Get the extra car insurance.. there are a ton of lost tourists creating unsafe roads… I was one of them.

Hilo- We are so use to typical sea days to sit by the pool, listen to music, sun tan, etc.. we did that here for part of the day. Went into town here as well.

The volcano and lava was ok.. looked like a forest fire at night… a bit over rated I thought.

Kona- took taxi 6 miles south for $19 and rented snorkel equipment and then found out there was a free trolley shuttle and rode it back. It picks up right off port by the banyan tree. Goes about 10 miles south and returns on a loop. There are other free shuttles and a few folks hawking tours at pier. Another member of our party got in a car wreck in his rent a car here…. As of now it looks like his credit card will cover his deductible but he had wished he had paid the $25 more for the extra insurance just to walk away from it all.

Kawaii. Rented a car, went to Kipu Falls, Poipi beach, and Wamiea canyon.. all over rated. Took back car. 2nd day went to beach by ship and had picked up a flyer from the racks in the building you come out of and called a surf company and my 2 teenagers went surfing. The local vendor renting space looked good but had 1 instructor for 6 people. The vendor off the flyer came with a buddy for same price of $75 per student and so my boys had a 1 to 1 ratio and got up and road the waves in several times. This was their absolutely best memory and are begging to do more surfing. Gave these guys a big tip for the extra 1 on 1 attention. Went very well.

Na Pali was ok.. a bit over rated.. because it looks very similar to Oahu the next day… we went up H3 after the ship to the PCC and realized that looked as neat as Na Pali coast line. Oahu is a beautiful island and I think there is a reason it has a larger population. Lots to do near Honolulu and a great looking island on the north shore.

We gained weight, the food was ok, service very slow in dinning rooms, staff friendly and very understandable and this was a great part of the cruise, and the surfing is great.

Na Pali was ok.. a bit over rated.. because it looks very similar to Oahu the next day… we went up H3 after the ship to the PCC and realized that looked as neat as Na Pali coast line.

While I didn't think the Na Pali coast was overrated, I completely agree about the drive along H3 and northern windward side of Oahu. The mountains and cliffs along the route are so similar and are often overlooked as a spectacular sightseeing opportunity. Oahu truly is more than "just" Honolulu and Waikiki. Not that there's anything wrong with the cities and there are so many important things to see and do there. But outside the cities, Oahu has so much to offer beyond the city sights.

beachchick

Thank you for the great review and tips Basketballdad! I have a few questions for you. THe free parking in Maui, could you tell me about where it is located or the name of the street?

ALso, did you happen to eat at any of the specialty restaurants on the ship? I am leaving april 11th and am looking so forward to it. I'm so happy for a positive yet honest review - thanks again!

We had a great time on the cruise and I have to agree with basketball dad that the crew was great and friendly. We rented a car in a few different ports...did the road to Hana, drove up to the Volcano National Park. We also did Poipu beach and Wamiea canyon and both were great in my opinion. I really enjoyed going past the lava flows at night and the Na Pali coast.

Everyone has their own opinion but as long as YOU have fun, that is the most important part of any trip. :)

James - was the 3/21 cruise worse weatherwise than ours the week of 3/7? We really had to hunt for sun that week!!!! I only had shorts on ONE day! A couple crew members told me the seas out of Kauai were worse than they'd seen in the 2 years they'd been on the boat. Were they exaggerating? (I know that despite our ear patches and meclazine, we ordered saltines from room service that night) :cool:

Thanks for the review! I agree about the staff - our stewards and housekeeping (AND James station at reception) were fantastic - however the buffet crew seemed to absolutely ignore any request like cleaning off a table so we could use it - probably again due to not enough staff in the area. The Cadillac Diner seemed to be the most popular place to eat by midweek.

We rented cars on each island, and even despite the weather, enjoyed everything we saw even though we'd been there before.

James - was the 3/21 cruise worse weatherwise than ours the week of 3/7? We really had to hunt for sun that week!!!! I only had shorts on ONE day! A couple crew members told me the seas out of Kauai were worse than they'd seen in the 2 years they'd been on the boat. Were they exaggerating? (I know that despite our ear patches and meclazine, we ordered saltines from room service that night) :cool:

Thanks for the review! I agree about the staff - our stewards and housekeeping (AND James station at reception) were fantastic - however the buffet crew seemed to absolutely ignore any request like cleaning off a table so we could use it - probably again due to not enough staff in the area. The Cadillac Diner seemed to be the most popular place to eat by midweek.

We rented cars on each island, and even despite the weather, enjoyed everything we saw even though we'd been there before.

Thanks! Yes the week of 3/7..so Kauai was on the 13th and yes those were crazy seas. I've seen worst but never on this ship. Lots of broken glasses and plates. The next weeks weather wasn't as bad!

Thank you for the great review and tips Basketballdad! I have a few questions for you. THe free parking in Maui, could you tell me about where it is located or the name of the street?

ALso, did you happen to eat at any of the specialty restaurants on the ship? I am leaving april 11th and am looking so forward to it. I'm so happy for a positive yet honest review - thanks again!

Unsure if there were even names. When you exit the ship (the ship points south) there is a warehouse on the left you go through where they have security and things set up. You exit south and there is the large parking lot for the shuttle busses and taxis and such. Then a fence and a street, then a 30 or so parking lot. Then, heading south east (forward, left) about 1/8 of a mile, is a road and a sign that says "cruise ship parking" and a cresent road heading back around toward the ship that has about 40 or 50 parking spaces. If you go to google earth you can see it. Hope that helps.

Archived