One Way Ticket Might Need VISA

sethanee

I was just about to finalize a one way ticket to Rome from the East Coast, when a warning appeared that before purchasing the ticket I should be aware that some countries require a VISA if coming into the country with a one-way ticket. So I closeds the browser without purchasing until I could determine if this was an issue.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this that might help me?

Thanks,

Ronnie

That link is for the US requirements - for those coming to the US.

The OP is going to Europe from the US and was wondering if they need a visa to fly to Italy.

This is the link for US citizens going to Italy:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1146.html#entry_requirements

I think that you do have to prove that you have a ticket for your return back to the US. For example, if you are doing a transatlantic cruise, your cruise ticket will suffice.

To be completely accurate, the source is the Italian consulate service: http://www.esteri.it/visti/home_eng.asp

The U.S. State department site mentioned above is usually correct, but they have no more control over entry to Italy than I do.

The bottom line:

Assuming you are bot a resident and citizen of the United State, will be staying for fewer than 90 days, and are going solely for tourism, you do not need a visa.

Italy, just as any other country, can refuse entry and ask you for additional information -- including proof that you are planning to leave within the 90 days and have the financial ability to support yourself while in Italy. They are VERY unlikely to do this if you are carrying a U.S. passport (and very likely TO do so if you are carrying an Albanian passport btw).

If for some reason they ask you, your cruise documents will serve nicely.

Guest nhrich
That link is for the US requirements - for those coming to the US.

The OP is going to Europe from the US and was wondering if they need a visa to fly to Italy.

This is the link for US citizens going to Italy:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1146.html#entry_requirements

I think that you do have to prove that you have a ticket for your return back to the US. For example, if you are doing a transatlantic cruise, your cruise ticket will suffice.

Yup, I misread it and thought it said from Rome to the US. Guess I shouldn't post before my coffee kicks in. :D

Glad it all worked out anyway.

Archived