Jeep rental-time to visit alot?

Featfan22

We are cruising to Aruba on Caribbean Princess and will be in port from 8:00 to 5:00. We were considering a jeep rental and driving around on our own. Has anyone done this? Was it worth it and did you have enough time? We would like to be able to sightsee and do some swimming, snorkeling and relaxing at a couple beaches.

Thanks! Debbi

If you decide to rent a jeep, be sure to write down the telephone number of the rental company so that you can call them if you have a problem. The rental kiosks are on the right side of the walkway just after you leave the building where the ships dock. We missed it the first time, ended up on the steets, had to double back to find what we were looking for. Our rental company stood us up; we had NO rental for the day even though we had a reservation. I thought I had their telephone number on my email confirmation, but it was not there and their telephone number was NOT listed on their booth.

If you decide to rent a jeep, be sure to write down the telephone number of the rental company so that you can call them if you have a problem. The rental kiosks are on the right side of the walkway just after you leave the building where the ships dock. We missed it the first time, ended up on the steets, had to double back to find what we were looking for. Our rental company stood us up; we had NO rental for the day even though we had a reservation. I thought I had their telephone number on my email confirmation, but it was not there and their telephone number was NOT listed on their booth.

Good suggestion. I will do that. Sorry you had trouble. Were you able to rent another one and and drive around?

No, there was no one else around to rent from. We took a 2 hour tour from one of the minivan vendors at the port. It was a very nice tour and the driver was very personable. $15.00/person for 2 hours.

I had been in Aruba for a week several years ago, so it was no big deal for me. There is a lot to see, so the Jeep rental would have been nice.

No, there was no one else around to rent from. We took a 2 hour tour from one of the minivan vendors at the port. It was a very nice tour and the driver was very personable. $15.00/person for 2 hours.

I had been in Aruba for a week several years ago, so it was no big deal for me. There is a lot to see, so the Jeep rental would have been nice.

Sorry about that but it sounds like you did okay. Since you have experience in Aruba, how much of the island do you think we can see in 8 hours? What are your suggestions as to the best spots not to miss?

Thanks for any suggestions, appreciated!

Deb

We were in Aruba in February and rented a Jeep from Amigo Car rental. We made arrangements in advance, they came and picked us up and brought us to their office to deal with paperwork.

We went to the south side of the island - the National Park and Baby Beach. After which we drove up to the hotel district and explored the beaches up there. A few hints - make sure you have a map and a good sense of direction as I saw very few street signs. If you want to go to the National Park - make sure to have a high clearance vehicle.

Has anyone had any recent experience with Top Drive rental in Aruba? We are considering renting a Jeep from them so we can explore on our own and wondered if anyone has any information about them.

Top Drive Car Rental :(

See DonMar's post about Amigo above. We had a new vehicle from them last year. No issues whatsoever.

Featfan22, I have your email, am still pondering the best possible day. Promise to get to you soon. ;) :)

Hi FeatFan22,

We did 2 years ago and I really enjoyed the experience, minus the jeep itself :rolleyes: You can read more on my site.

We had plenty of time, we left in the morning and went to the left of the island all the way to the lighthouse and then stopped at a beach for snorkeling and slowly made our way back to the ship in time for lunch. We parked the jeep and had lunch on board. We then got in the jeep again and with a map, went inland and right to see the natural bridge and other stuff.

We made our way back to the ship in plenty of time.

We really had a good visit.

Lise

http://www.carib-cruises.com/aruba-car-rental.html

Hi FeatFan22,

We did 2 years ago and I really enjoyed the experience, minus the jeep itself :rolleyes: You can read more on my site.

We had plenty of time, we left in the morning and went to the left of the island all the way to the lighthouse and then stopped at a beach for snorkeling and slowly made our way back to the ship in time for lunch. We parked the jeep and had lunch on board. We then got in the jeep again and with a map, went inland and right to see the natural bridge and other stuff.

We made our way back to the ship in plenty of time.

We really had a good visit.

Lise

http://www.carib-cruises.com/aruba-car-rental.html

Lise, thank you. I checked out your website, very informative. We will be sure to inspect the rental jeep first.

Deb

FeatFan 22, I found my map of Aruba if you wouldlike to have it. Not sure when your trip is. If you want me to mail it to you, send your mailing address to me at h2otstr@aol.com

Sharon

Hi Sharon,

We leave on May 3. I would love to have your Aruba map. Thanks so much! You are so thoughtful! I have emailed you with my mailing address.

Thanks again, Debbi

WARNING: DO NOT RENT A JEEP FROM ROYAL CAR RENTAL! I reserved 3 jeeps at Royal for our port stop in Aruba on 4/7/09. I even confirmed it a month out and received an email telling me a representative would be waiting at their booth at the cruise terminal once the ship arrived. When we got there, no one at the booth. :confused:No Jeeps. :mad:We spoke to a rep from another rental company in the booth next to Royal. He said that Royal called him trying to get Jeeps from him to rent to us! Luckily we were able to secure two vehicles that would fit all ten of us but it took an hour that we could have been out exploring the island. If this guy didn't have the Jeeps, he shouldn't have confirmed with me he did. He even confirmed the price. We love Aruba but not Royal Car rental.

We had a confirmed Jeep rental at the beginning of March, a Royal Rep. was to meet us, and there was NO ONE at the rental kiosk. We waited an hour for someone to show; no one ever came to meet us. We returned at 5 pm (the time we were to return our rental) and NO ONE was there then either. We ended up taking one of those minivan tours that are in the same area as the rental kiosks.

The exact thing happened to us last year. This company is running a scam. The guy next door "Top Drive" is part of it. He "helps out" the Royal customers by charging them more for Jeeps in disrepair. We ended up taking a cab to the beach and had a wonderful time.

• 4 weeks later...

Stay away for the Thrifty Car Rentals..... Their Wrangle Jeep's are junk.

We rented from the Renaissance Hotel close for Cruise travelers BUT the vehicles are JUNK

We had to request a second Jeep as the first had ripped out plastic window so that you could not secure anything within the vehicle.

2nd vehicle even worse..... No working Air-conditioning, Engine light stayed on 10 minutes after leaving hotel for the duration of our drive, wipers so worn and ripped at ends they would not clean window during rain.

Holes in the roof, dripping rain on legs and head. Plastic windows so yellow and scratched you could not see out of them for side mirrors.

When I returned the vehicle after 2.5 hours of a 24 hour rental and spoke to Irene Sunday (Thrifty employee) she stated she knew of the vehicle problems and just shrugged her shoulders. She would not reduce my rental charge.

See could see other rentals from Budget and other firms, much better condition with glass windows and overall appearance.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived