Rum Questions...

Specter

Hey guys-

We're hitting Jamaica in early June. We're doing the Resort Day for our excursion. I'd love to bring back some specialty rum from Jamaica. We're not BIG drinkers, but I think it'd be fun to bring back some stuff you can't buy here in the US. We like the softer, more 'fruity' types of liquor. I've read, and am wanting to get some banana and coconut flavored rum. I'm very open to other suggestions as well...

We're cruising Carnival. Is there a Duty Free Liquor shop walking distance to the dock?

What flavors/types/brand do you suggest?

I've heard Appleton's is great- but is it a HARSH rum? Or is it pretty gentle?

I DO have Rum Runners- so I could bring some back on the ship to enjoy the rest of the week that way... however- I'm open to leaving a couple bottles checked in and getting them at the end of the cruise. How does the 'Duty/Customs stuff work? Is there a fee to pay?

Thanks for all your help!

BTW- we're also going to Grand Cayman and Cozumel... any specialty drinks we should look at getting while we're there, too?

Thanks!

Appleton's isn't available here in Ohio (not sure about the US, Ohio has bizarre liquor laws) so we brought back some of that and I'm glad we did b/c it is pretty good!

I also HIGHLY recommend picking up some Jamaican Rum Creme if you like Bailey's or anything similar. We got Sangster's which is amazing (and also not available here). There is also another kind someone mentioned is good when we were there but we bought and brought back Sangster's since that's what we knew we loved it!

I went to BevMo yesterday (never been there before), and they had Appleton's... might be a few bucks more than what you can get in Jamaica, but at least we can get that here. Probably not worth buying it there and deal with bringing it back. But- didn't see the Sangster's (sp?). I definitely didn't see any 'flavored' stuff from Jamaica- Coconut or Banana Rum or Creme. Maybe that's what I'll focus on while there... suggestions?

I'm sure you can- if you trust them to ship it, and it arrives safely... but then the cost of shipping- you may as well just buy it here from the store and avoid the hassle. I want just a little bit so that we can enjoy it on the ship.

I'm sure you can- if you trust them to ship it, and it arrives safely... but then the cost of shipping- you may as well just buy it here from the store and avoid the hassle. I want just a little bit so that we can enjoy it on the ship.

I thought we weren't allowed to bring it back on and drink on ship?

I'd like to bring some home for gifts but lugging it in carry-on, then on plane doesn't sound fun. :)

I thought we weren't allowed to bring it back on and drink on ship?

I'd like to bring some home for gifts but lugging it in carry-on, then on plane doesn't sound fun. :)

If we buy and bring back to ship, don't they take away until end of cruise?

Anyone know how many we're allowed to pass through customs on the flight home?

Eastcoatman,

You would have to pack it in your luggage before you check your luggage at the airport because you may be able to take it from the island in your carryon but once you get to the states and have to pass security they will make you get rid of it. Remember you can't bring 151 on a plane (or so they say) get this because it is flamable. We watched alot of people throwing out bottles in Charlotte because they didn't put it in their luggage once they went thru Customs. Bad way to end a good vacation!!!:eek:

Archived