If Carnival starts charging for steak and cuts out Platinum, where do we go?

fig414

I gotta believe we're next. Maybe not this year, but why not in a couple or 3 down the road? We have only been cruising for 15 years and we never thought we'd pay extra for a specialty meal (We do and love it). We never thought jeans in the Main would be accepted and tolerated (We don't and hate it). One of us even gets a specialty coffee and maybe a chocolate covered strawberry and pays extra for it (She does). The thread about welcoming pissed offed RCI pax really cracks me up. They'll all be screaming bloody murder when we get the same treatment.... I never would have thunk it either.

According to Gerry Cahill, who was on the Splendor last week for TA cruises, it's not going to happen. Carnival knows where their bread is buttered and they are really going out of their way to keep customers happy and full ships.

I gotta believe we're next. Maybe not this year, but why not in a couple or 3 down the road? We have only been cruising for 15 years and we never thought we'd pay extra for a specialty meal (We do and love it). We never thought jeans in the Main would be accepted and tolerated (We don't and hate it). One of us even gets a specialty coffee and maybe a chocolate covered strawberry and pays extra for it (She does). The thread about welcoming pissed offed RCI pax really cracks me up. They'll all be screaming bloody murder when we get the same treatment.... I never would have thunk it either.

I was just getting ready to go beddy bye and saw this.

I appreciate your concern and your opinion but I posted just very recently that no one less than Gerry Cahill himself said that Carnival will NOT cut back on the product or the experience on board Carnival ships.

I think it's more important to concentrate on what we have and what will improve rather than conjecture about what may be lost in some alternate possibility.

Some cruise lines believe that cutting perks, benefits and increasing costs to the passenger will generate profits even when sailing with many empty cabins. Carnival believes, and has been proven right, that sailing full with happy guests generates profits even if they aren't as great as they once were.

We've seen which model works...

Just my $.02...

In three years is will be 2012, which the Mayans said is the end of the world anyway. So go cruise to Mexico, see Chitzen Itza, party like a Mayan, pop over to Jamaica and don't worry, be happy.

i thought that was pretty funny, too :cool:

There is a reason Carnival is the biggest and most consistently profitable cruise line in the world...they pay attention to their customers! You would be amazed at how they respond to negative feedback, not just to their own actions, but to their competitors actions.

I am not exactly a Carnival cheerleader, but I give them a lot of respect for the way they have been smart enough to provide a consistent product for 35 years. And when Gerry Cahill said what he said aboard the Splendor, I tend to believe him...Carnival has not just survived, but grown, during previous recessionary times (as a result of staying the course, and avoiding their competitors mistakes during said times), and will probably do so again this year and next.

I think believing that Carnival won't make these same kinds of cuts in the future is a bit naive. Sure they talk a big game now but that's because they are probably aware that in the short-term keeping things the way they are will benefit them during the flood of passengers flocking from other lines.

But, wait a year or 2, and if other lines are starting to actually make better profits off of cutting a few corners and charging for a few more things then I wouldn't be surprised to see Carnival fall in line.

I'm not saying it's for certain, just that I wouldn't count any words coming from a major corporation as anything to bet on.

I think believing that Carnival won't make these same kinds of cuts in the future is a bit naive. Sure they talk a big game now but that's because they are probably aware that in the short-term keeping things the way they are will benefit them during the flood of passengers flocking from other lines.

But, wait a year or 2, and if other lines are starting to actually make better profits off of cutting a few corners and charging for a few more things then I wouldn't be surprised to see Carnival fall in line.

I'm not saying it's for certain, just that I wouldn't count any words coming from a major corporation as anything to bet on.

I have to respectfully disagree.

If you look at recent changes in personnel at Carnival you'll see that the direction they're moving in is toward improving retention and rewarding continuing loyalty.

They brought in Jim Berra as Senior VP of Marketing. Jim had previously been with Starwood... a MASSIVELY successful high end hotel/resort operation. Jim is dedicated to improving the customer experience and retaining past guests.

No, I think that Carnival will continue to be successful because they KNOW that experience, quality and value sells cabins.

Just my $.02...

In three years is will be 2012, which the Mayans said is the end of the world anyway. So go cruise to Mexico, see Chitzen Itza, party like a Mayan, pop over to Jamaica and don't worry, be happy.

Yep....don't bother booking anything that sails after 12/21/12...lol!

It is reassuring to hear the Carnival CEO make those statements, but things do change. I believe Carnival will try to avoid those kinds of changes, but really, there is no way to guarantee that. However, charging for steak and cutting out Platinum would have no affect on me.

As for cutting out Platinum, what would be the point? That program probably has a miniscule affect on the bottom line. Carnival has smartly resisted greatly expanding its loyalty programs.

The marketing research I've seen shows that the mass market lines' target markets are still poised for growth from first time cruisers, so there is no reason to greatly expand loyalty programs at this time.

I have to agree that Carnival does care about their customers more so than NCL. First Carnival cruise we took on the Miracle. One day the water in the sink was really brown (not a big deal). I went down to the Purser's desk to mention it, so they could just check it out. They apologized up and down for that happening and mentioned why it happened and that they would make a not for our room steward to runs the faucets to flush it out. The next day we got a call from the Purser's desk asking if everything was okay and to make sure it didn't happen again. Then a few days later we got a letter delivered to our stateroom, once again apologizing for this mishap and that they hope it won't deter us from cruising Carnival again. They went way above and beyond what was needed to do, b/c they care about their customers. I mean jeesh. I couldn't even get someone on NCL to do something about the Marijuana smell that was on a good portion of our floor. Though I did learn later that when we were in Bermuda, the police were on the ship with drug dogs. Not sure if this pertained to my complaint. I never once found out what happened and NCl never followed up with me.

Sorry if it seems I am hijacking this thread (not my intention). Just wanted to show how much more Carnival cares about their customers.

I have to respectfully disagree.

If you look at recent changes in personnel at Carnival you'll see that the direction they're moving in is toward improving retention and rewarding continuing loyalty.

They brought in Jim Berra as Senior VP of Marketing. Jim had previously been with Starwood... a MASSIVELY successful high end hotel/resort operation. Jim is dedicated to improving the customer experience and retaining past guests.

No, I think that Carnival will continue to be successful because they KNOW that experience, quality and value sells cabins.

Just my $.02...

I'm not suggesting that they won't be successful...but every company in the world does business to make money. So, the point I was making was, if it suddenly becomes normal practice among popular cruise lines other than Carnival to charge extra for steaks or cut a few corners here and there by cutting a few perks/rewards then Carnival will fall in line. I don't care who they hire, or who they have working for them. Once there is no alternative there is nowhere for customers to turn in protest.

As I said before, I wouldn't put too much trust into a major corporation that is ultimately out to serve itself. New cruisers are born every day. It's very possible that steak in the dining room for no extra charge will become a myth like Bigfoot, UFO's, and the U.S. Dollar.

Carnival is a huge company that wants to not only make money but keep their customers happy. How would that happen if they do what the OP thinks they may do? In a word, it wont.

John Heald said some changes are coming, but he was not able to say just what they would be. But as Host Mach has said, the changes the OP has mentioned, are not any of them.

So they change?

I will still do what I do when planning a vacation.

I look at all my options before I book. In most instances, Carnival comes out on top when I take all into consideration.

I tried over the years to venture out to other lines, but all things considered, Carnival looked the best.

And I like that I'm not paying a premium due to a business debt.

I'll just point out the basic laws of supply and demand. Carnival will be in demand for the services they still offer. The demand will actually increase. No need to cut back on those services as they are actually carving out the market sector even more. :rolleyes:

Let's just suppose that Carnival eliminates all PLATINUM perks completely.

To me, this means, I'll have to go back to doing the VERY SAME things I did for my first NINE Carnival cruises. So what ! ! I didn't seem to mind it then.

I never minded STANDING IN LINE to board with everyone else back then.

I never minded STANDING IN LINE the few times I went to the pursers desk.

I will miss the FREE LAUNDRY, but I got by just fine before.

Will I miss the thermos and canapes . . . you can't be serious.:rolleyes:

If the PLATINUM perks are THE ONLY THING that keeps you cruising with Carnival, you're not paying attention. All in all, in the grand scheme of things they just aren't that important to me.

I would be more concerned about a MASS MIGRATION of RCI PAXS in a pure supply and demand business, causing the price per cruise to increase as the "supply" is gobbled up sooner and the "demand" now increases ! ! ;)

I would be more concerned about a MASS MIGRATION of RCI PAXS in a pure supply and demand business, causing the price per cruise to increase as the "supply" is gobbled up sooner and the "demand" now increases ! ! ;)

Great points all around, but consider also that if there *is* a mass migration, and those pax get hooked on the Fun Ship, it will most likely mean more Fun Ships to meet the demand ... :D

Guest TropicOne
I'm not suggesting that they won't be successful...but every company in the world does business to make money. So, the point I was making was, if it suddenly becomes normal practice among popular cruise lines other than Carnival to charge extra for steaks or cut a few corners here and there by cutting a few perks/rewards then Carnival will fall in line. I don't care who they hire, or who they have working for them. Once there is no alternative there is nowhere for customers to turn in protest.

Carnival got where they are today by not doing what the other less popular lines do.

Archived