If Carnival starts charging for steak and cuts out Platinum, where do we go?

fig414

So they change?

I will still do what I do when planning a vacation.

I look at all my options before I book. In most instances, Carnival comes out on top when I take all into consideration.

I tried over the years to venture out to other lines, but all things considered, Carnival looked the best.

And I like that I'm not paying a premium due to a business debt.

YEP I agree. Its still the best bang for the buck. I hope carnival comes up with another color card for 25 cruises in the next few years. I hope to be at 25 in the next 3 or 4 years.

Carnival got where they are today by not doing what the other less popular lines do.

Carnival got where they are today by finding a way to offer a cheaper price while still maximizing profits. All I am saying is if a few extra charges here and there become the norm, Carnival will not pass up the opportunity to make more money.

They only "care" about their customers to a certain extent. After that, it's all about the benjamins. That's why Shore Excursion prices are so outrageous (and in line pretty much with other cruiselines) when booked through Carnival.

Trust me, I hope your fantasies about Carnival's loyalty turn out to be true. But, I'm not going to be surprised if I book a cruise for next year with them and find that I have to pay for something that I didn't the year before.

i gotta believe we're next. Maybe not this year, but why not in a couple or 3 down the road? We have only been cruising for 15 years and we never thought we'd pay extra for a specialty meal (we do and love it). We never thought jeans in the main would be accepted and tolerated (we don't and hate it). One of us even gets a specialty coffee and maybe a chocolate covered strawberry and pays extra for it (she does). The thread about welcoming pissed offed rci pax really cracks me up. They'll all be screaming bloody murder when we get the same treatment.... I never would have thunk it either.

ssssshhhhhhh!!!!!;)

Carnival got where they are today by finding a way to offer a cheaper price while still maximizing profits. All I am saying is if a few extra charges here and there become the norm, Carnival will not pass up the opportunity to make more money.

They only "care" about their customers to a certain extent. After that, it's all about the benjamins. That's why Shore Excursion prices are so outrageous (and in line pretty much with other cruiselines) when booked through Carnival.

Trust me, I hope your fantasies about Carnival's loyalty turn out to be true. But, I'm not going to be surprised if I book a cruise for next year with them and find that I have to pay for something that I didn't the year before.

I get what you're saying, and that they ultimately are looking out for their shareholders as opposed to their customers. Completely understand that. But in the current market conditions I don't see how chasing performance through market trending is going to garner them a larger marketshare and thus a bigger dividend for their shareholders. Can I see them pumping up prices a bit? Sure. But I don't see how following the trend of cutting services is going to allow them to increase their marketshare and thus their share price; unless of course they start offering expanded services on one of their other lines and look to siphon off business from the Carnival line itself to another line of business.

Gerry Cahill says we will NOT cut back. That's good enough for me.......

Doesn't the team owner always say, "Joe is my coach for life if he wants it." Then, within 24 hours, Joe is fired?:D

Dan

Doesn't the team owner always say, "Joe is my coach for life if he wants it." Then, within 24 hours, Joe is fired?:D

Dan

LMAO!!!

Good lord people will believe anything.........any business will do what they have to do to make a profit.......yes even if it means offering optional meals for purchase on a menu..........Carnival is not immune to this.......

I have to say that Carnival is not going to bite the hand that feeds them. My PVP said they were the first to lower the prices because they know how to keep ppl cruising. With hard economic times, they are still making money because they are making it affordable.

RCCL and other lines are going to break themselves in the long run. I have seen so many threads of cruisers jumping ship to Carnival.

A vacation is what you make of it. We don't have to do anything but have fun...no chores, no cooking, etc. My food is paid for up front unless I go to the supper club. Just can't ask for a better time! Do what I want and when I want...

I get what you're saying, and that they ultimately are looking out for their shareholders as opposed to their customers. Completely understand that. But in the current market conditions I don't see how chasing performance through market trending is going to garner them a larger marketshare and thus a bigger dividend for their shareholders. Can I see them pumping up prices a bit? Sure. But I don't see how following the trend of cutting services is going to allow them to increase their marketshare and thus their share price; unless of course they start offering expanded services on one of their other lines and look to siphon off business from the Carnival line itself to another line of business.

I don't think Carnival cutting their services will increase their marketshare, I think OTHER lines cutting their services will when those cruisers switch to Carnival(as is already starting to happen). Then once they are on Carnival and loyal to them, they change to meet the market trends and the customers who migrated will have no other option cause it'll be the norm. I'm not saying it's guaranteed, for all I know the services cut from other lines could end up being temporary due to Carnival's refusal to meet these trends.

I just find it funny that people can be so loyal to a company that in the grand scheme of things would trade them off for a new batch of cruisers who are willing to pay a little extra in a heartbeat.

Carnival got where they are today by not doing what the other less popular lines do.

I have long maintained that the brilliance of Carnival's management is and has been cost containment. Internally, they don't waste a cent. They were able to absorb old time lines that were in trouble and keep them operating externally like they always did. That is ONLY possible with considerable cost cutting and control, internally. They present the same face to the customer but behind the scenes, everything is different and more cost effective.

Anybody can cut service, and once cut that cost is gone. No vigilance needed. The unhappy customer may also be gone, ask RCL! But maintaining the same level of service and cutting costs internally is just as easy, but then strict vigilance is needed at all levels or cost creep sets in. THAT takes excellent and determined management. Managers that WORK!

Dan

I just find it funny that people can be so loyal to a company that in the grand scheme of things would trade them off for a new batch of cruisers who are willing to pay a little extra in a heartbeat.

I find it funny why anyone would be loyal to any cruise line when there are sooo many out there........

I hear ya there. But then again, look at some of the raging "Sucks to be you, RCCL" threads that have been posted in the past couple of days.

I have to say I'm not worried at all about this.

I cruised the Legend in 07 in an 8I cabin. The cost of the same cabin on the same cruise at the same time this year is actually $120 LESS than two years ago. Are some things more expensive now? Probably (I'll find out in June when I'm on the Freedom), but a C-note plus a 20 give me pretty good wiggle room. And the supper club at 30 a pop is probably one of the best values in cruising - I've heard some say that main (free) dining used to be at the supper-club level every night, but not in my experience, there's no way you'd have gotten food that good anywhere on a Carnival ship as recently as 10 years ago, or probably on almost any other ship.

So I don't mind if I have to pay a little more for this or that - at least I get to decide whether I'm charged for it instead of having it hidden in the cruise fare. Sure, there are limits to that, but I haven't found them yet. The fact is, my entire Freedom cruise - cruise fare, air travel, drinks, and other incidentals - will cost me less than the cruise alone did on my first cruise.

Friends, that's called VALUE!! :D

I appreciate your concern and your opinion but I posted just very recently that no one less than Gerry Cahill himself said that Carnival will NOT cut back on the product or the experience on board Carnival ships.

Then the man has his head in the sand. Dan nailed it above with respect to what the chief will say. Any hint from the top that such changes might or could happen would piss off so many people the CC servers would collapse a sudden death.

It's business, you follow supply and demand. You can do a certain amount of trend setting and try and lead... and in a strong economy you have more leeway to do that. But today, it's necessary to cut costs too and as so many people are finding out, you can only cut costs so far before something else has to give and you need more revenue coming in.

Besides, isn't Carnival cutting back anyway? How can they say they're not. How about the well worn subject of less live music on board. Yes, I saw the threads that quoted Mr Heald as saying they were actually increasing the live music. Huh? Where? How about the fruit punch (runs for cover and btw, I don't give a flying fart about fruit juice, just using it as an example).

This is my opinion. I firmly believe in the phrase 'never say never.'

As far as Loyality Perks...I do not believe we will see any cuts to those as RCCL did.

Why? Because Carnival was smart enough, at the beginning, not to offer what it could not support years later.

Carnival was smart enough to give perks that are in line with the price of the cruises.

Carnival has been making cuts these past few years. But they made cuts that "may or may not" affect the cruiser. Sometimes we experience a decrease in service because of the additional cabins added to a steward....but most times we don't. Sometimes we experience a decrease in service because of the reduction in wait staff...but most times we don't.

So while Carnival has made cuts...they have done it in such a manner as to not be blatantly obvious on every cruise.

Who is going to notice a 7 piece orchestra instead of a 9 piece? Not many.

Who is going to miss the duo that sang in the Supper Club? Not many.

Carnival has made cuts...but they have been smart about it.

...So while Carnival has made cuts...they have done it in such a manner as to not be blatantly obvious on every cruise.

Who is going to notice a 7 piece orchestra instead of a 9 piece? Not many.

Who is going to miss the duo that sang in the Supper Club? Not many.

Carnival has made cuts...but they have been smart about it.

All very fair points. But, a cut is a cut right? The tone of this thread started with comments that Carnival will not cut back on the experience. Well, they have and it will continue.

Why would they not do what every other cruiseline is...

Because they are bigger, better and have no need to be LIKE EVERYONE ELSE.. Thats what got them 70% of the market. Why would they ever want to be like all the other lines??

I cruise Carnival because of what Carnival offers, the same reason I do not cruise RCL. It only took one cruise with RCL, "testing the waters" to bring me right back.:)

They don't need a $15 steak, even optional or taking away perks to loyal customers now or in the future to make a buck. That topped with the fact they don't have 2,multi- billion dollar money pits on their hands to make up for.

Making cuts, possibly, but in areas that do not directly affect the customer. Or the majority of them. I could never even tell you how many people were in the orcehestra, do you really count? I went to the supper club on the Miracle in 07 and there were no singers then...

Like Mach.. just my .02 cents..

All very fair points. But, a cut is a cut right? The tone of this thread started with comments that Carnival will not cut back on the experience. Well, they have and it will continue.

Exactly! Some people wouldn't get it if it slapped them in the face:p:D

A cut is a cut is a cut. Not necessarily.

2 different cruiselines onload 1000 perishable widgets on each cruise. Each throws 300 of them in the garbage at the end of the cruise.

One cuts out perishable widgets because they cost too much. ALL pax suffer.

The other line cuts stocking levels to 725 perishable widgets. On some cruises, some pax do not get a widget on the last day. Most do.

Both are cuts. ALL pax on the first line painfully become aware of the cut.

Almost all of the pax on the second line NEVER know there was a cut.

50 cruises, 15 on Carnival, none of my last 2. Maybe, maybe not on my next one. Who am I loyal to? MY cruising desires, nothing else. But for the youngest major cruise line to go from one OLD ship in the mid 70's to the largest cruise line in history in 40 years takes a very good mgmt. staff.

Dan

2 different cruiselines onload 1000 perishable widgets on each cruise. Each throws 300 of them in the garbage at the end of the cruise.

The other line cuts stocking levels to 725 perishable widgets. On some cruises, some pax do not get a widget on the last day. Most do.

50 cruises, 15 on Carnival, none of my last 2. Maybe, maybe not on my next one. Who am I loyal to? MY cruising desires, nothing else. But for the youngest major cruise line to go from one OLD ship in the mid 70's to the largest cruise line in history in 40 years takes a very good mgmt. staff.

Dan

...And that's todays lesson in Business Economics, Thank you, Professor Dan. :)

Dan

No matter how small the widget is..........it will be noticed by some:D

Does fruit punch ring a bell:confused::p

If the widget is more substantial will you notice it more?......as in the happy hour free drinks on RCCL for Diamond members:confused: Of course.......but I agree a cut is a cut.......

No matter how small the widget is..........it will be noticed by some:D

Does fruit punch ring a bell:confused::p

If the widget is more substantial will you notice it more?......as in the happy hour free drinks on RCCL for Diamond members:confused: Of course.......but I agree a cut is a cut.......

Fruit punch does not ring a bell. Sugar highs and red teeth were never my thing. I don't know, or care, if its gone or never existed. Selfish, I know.

Dan

Those kinds of charges and cuts seen on "other" cruiselines are the result of financial desperation.

Carnival is not financially weak...they've made good decisions for over 30 years and have remained profitable in spite of several disasters in the world..financial and otherwise.

Those changes on other companies ships will only result in a better and more profitable bottom line for Carnival as loyalists who are getting shafted change to Carnival...

It's hard to argue with their strategy

Archived