British Isles Cruise - Crown Princess

HarleysMomma

Can anyone tell me where I would fly into, place to stay night before and after cruise, how much to expect to pay for taxi...port is Southhampton.

Thanks in advance!

What you need to do is go over to the Ports of Call board and scroll down to Britian. there is a wealth of information there that might help you.

Marilyn

If you have already booked your air or done it through Princess you should have (or can get) the airline and flight number. Either way, you will fly into Heathrow - west of London - or Gatwick - south of London. I believe that there is rail service from Gatwick to S'ampton but I do not think there is from Heathrow.

Thank you for letting me know! I never ventured to that part of the site! This is my first non caribbean cruise and am so excited but a bit overwhelmed! :)

You would do better to fly into London and stay in a centrally located hotel. We did our own booking when we went on the QE2 and arranged for a Meet & Greet (that is what it is called) at the airport to the hotel and a pickup from the hotel driving down to Southampton.

We did not take the hotel package or the flights from the cruise line. We were a party of 3, didn't want a hotel down by London Bridge (too far out of the main stream), plus the hotel only had double and no triple accommodations. The cost difference was very minimal bet. what the cruise line was charging vs. doing it on our own. We had total flexibility in hotel choice and we were right across from the Victoria and Albert Museum in a hotel that was built originally to house Harrod's staff. We were right near a bus stop and a train stop and it was partially resential and commercial. Getting picked up at the airport was great! They held up a sign and took our luggage from us right away. We felt like stars and received a star treatment. Hotel came with continental breakfast in the room rate and even had jacuzzi in bathtub. Pick -up was same easy procedure from hotel lobby. Instead of being cramped on a bus, we had a pleasant drive through the English countrtside down to Southampton. We drove right up and our luggage was unloaded from the car and checked right in. Then we went inside with our hand carry and did the rest of the check in process. It is the only way to do it if the ship leaves from Southampton.:)

MARAPRINCE

What we've normally done is arrive in London the day prior to the cruise, and arrange for car service to pick us up at the airport and take us to Southampton. There is a Holiday Inn in Southampton, the DeVere Grand Hotel, plus several others. This is a less expensive option than staying in London. Car service is expensive, but if you can arrange to share with others, the costs can be reduced.

Can anyone tell me where I would fly into, place to stay night before and after cruise, how much to expect to pay for taxi...port is Southhampton.

Thanks in advance!

You could also try the train. Here is a link to the rail timetables for UK. Straightforward to use. You can pre book trains / seats on line

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

HarleysMom-

Which sailing are you on? We're on the June 25th trip. There are great roll calls going for all the British Isles Cruises. It's a great way to hook up with people. We've found several people to share excursions with.

Enjoy!

Thanks in advance!

Definitely find your Roll Call. Ours has a couple of wonderful people who've arranged for private tours. You not only save a ton of $$, but have a much better experience.

If you can stay only overnite precruise, you might be better off staying at a Southampton hotel.

However, Wether London or Southampton, use Joa's link to National Rail. It is a very good, easy to follow, web site for all forms of transport.

Find your Roll Call, and visit the Ports Of call board for Britain.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=299

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=233

Last July we took a cruise out of Southampton on the Sea Princess. We flew into Gatwick, caught the train (VERY EASY to do), and spent the night at the Novotel in Southampton. This gave us time to get over our jet lag a bit before we boarded the ship.

For just two of us, this was the most economical way to go. The most important thing is being able to handle your luggage on/off the train. Other than that, it was a breeze!

Thanks in advance!

When is your cruise? We are on the August 12, 2009 one and we have a great role call. Come on over and check us out.

Lola in Hamilton

When is your cruise? We are on the August 12' date=' 2009 one and we have a great role call. Come on over and check us out.

Lola in Hamilton[/quote']

Hey Guys! At this point, looks like I am doing the August 2010 cruise- talk about having a long time to be patient! I will be watching to see if a roll call for it comes out-want to be able to book it first-it's a surprise for my mom so you all are the only ones I can share it with! :) (too many bigmouths in my family! haha)

Archived