Help please w/ excursions - grand cayman

FirstTimeCruisingCouple

This is our first cruise. We are going to the western carribbean. want to do some fun excursions. any suggestions? should we do through ship or on our own.

is stingray alley the best thing to do? can we go on our own? can we do that and hit a beach?

we are on royal carribean - explorer of the seas

A fun excursion is a trip to stingray city. Since you are a first timer I think your better off booking it thru the ship. This way you dont have to worry about getting back on time and missing your ship. If you pick an early excursion you will still have time to go to 7 mile beach.

For first time, especially in a tender port, through the ship would be less confusing and stressful. If you like risk, however...

If you book through the ship, I would pick one of the earliest trips which should leave you time to explore.

The excursions booked through the ship tend to err on the conservative side, so if the ship cancels the stingray trips, I would still get on the first available tender and see if you can pick one up at the dock before the rest of the ship figures it out.

You cannot go to Grand Cayman without trying Stingray Sandbar at least once.

I have been there several times, however, I can not answer your question properly now because of the horriable aftereffects of the 3 Hurricanes that hit the locations this year. Many of the facilities are still closed. I just read in Island Magazine that most of the shore excursions are still closed. Go with what the ship offers this year it is your best bet. Be very careful. Enjoy the beauty of the island.

Captain Bryan is operating, and can be booked through Island Marketing:

http://www.grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/

The part of my trip report covering GC is here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=101055

I disagree that the storm damage should be a factor in deciding whether to book directly or through the cruise line. I can see no reason why it should be.

Try Soto's, Capt Marvin, or Frank's Watersports. I go to the island twice a year and I prefer Frank's, but his fleet got damaged pretty bad in the hurricane and I may go with Capt Marvin next week. E-mail me after the 11th and I will steer you in the proper direction. wallharley@aol.com

Helen

We loved dealing with Capt Marvin and if he is operating I'd use them again in a minuite. They gave us each a free rum cake from Black beards after:)

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back from Cayman and Frank's, Capt. Bryan, Soto's and Capt. Marvin's are all ready to go. E-mail me and I will help you with deciding on which operator to go with, depending on what you want to do and how long you want to be out on the boat. We are doing an all day with lunch on Dec. 27th and will have marinated conch, Mahi-Mahi and Lobster for our lunch, as it is not only Conch season but Lobster season also..... We are going with Frank's Watersports and will pay $40US cash per person. My e-mail is wallharley@aol.com.

Helen

We had a FANTASTIC experience with Nativeway Watersports. They're very professional, very friendly and very fun! We did the stingray city and two snorkel stop. It was much better than any of the ship tours as there were only 8 of us on the entire boat! They're up and running just fine since the hurricane too.

You can check them out at http://www.nativewaywatersports.com

Archived