Just off Destiny

Colts88

Overall our experience on the Destiny was a good one. It was me 27, my husband 27, and our 1 year old daughter. We had aft balcony 8334.

As many people on here mention they could never cruise without a balcony again, we do not feel this way. IT was nice to be able to see where we were but not something we felt we would have to have again. Another thing is that the aft balconies are incredibly hot...almost no breeze at all.

We found the staff to be extremely accommodating. In the dining room and also cabin stewards were excellent. We had an issue with the shower not draining properly. I made a call and within a few minutes someone was there and fixed it. After the repair, we didn't encounter the problem again. We were very pleased with the service.

Food was just average. It has not decreased in quality since we started cruising. However, I feel the older I get the more I've paid attention, and realized some of the food is not good at all. Particularily breakfast. Dinners were always good. Some have mentioned the lack of steak or cost for steak. I can only say that the flat iron steak was the only steak and it was offered each night. I'm a filet eater, and think the flat iron was decent.

Ship condition needs some improvement. I'm actually quite shocked that it was recently in dry dock. Most of the wear and tear was seen in the cabins and hall corridors. Right outside our cabin was a new piece of mismatched carpet in a section of the hall about 10 feet long. It really looked bad. I'm not sure what or why it was like that. The carpet on the walls toward the bottom where the wall meets the floors were also incredibly stained and looked dirty. I do realize that I am being extremely petty. However, these were my observations. With that being said, I realize that this ship has 3000 some people come and go from the ship every 5 days. The things I mentioned will also not keep anyone from having a great vacation.

Please feel free to ask any questions and I will try my best to answer. I cannot comment on the entertainment. We used to try to go to all the shows, but having a 1 year old with you kind of prohibits some activities.

If you are planning a trip on the destiny, have no fear you will have a great trip. The negatives that I mention are not to make you hesitant about your selection of the destiny, but merely to make you aware of some of the things I noticed and experienced.

Thanks for the review. We sail on Monday 4/6 and I know we will have a great time, with 2 teenagers.

What was your itinerary? Did you go ashore and look around or do any excursions?

Will be on the Destiny again in Nov for another Rick Springfield cruise. Had a great time the first time and know it will be great again. We are not going to Key West this year something about boat races just wish we could go to another port

I will be in 8332 next door to your cabin on June 15th. Other than the lack of breeze, any observations about cabin location? I have read a couple reviews about a foul odor towards the aft and have been concerned about it.

I am glad you had fun. I know when you have kids you also notice things you otherwise would not. Couple questions for you. We have a 2 and year old. How was the ship for your 1 year old? Where did you go? Was there a lot of activity for your little one. We are planning on using camp carnival, but wanted to know if there are things for the kids to do besides camp. How did you guys do in the dining room with your 1 year old? Were they pretty kid friendly, or did you feel you were a bother with a child. We are only going to bring the kids to the dining room one night maybe. So not a problem, but 2 night we will do buffet with them. And we were going to leave them at camp and do dinner on our own the other nights. Any advice for those of us with kids on the Destiny? Thanks

Can't wait.

I am glad you had fun. I know when you have kids you also notice things you otherwise would not. Couple questions for you. We have a 2 and year old. How was the ship for your 1 year old? Where did you go? Was there a lot of activity for your little one. We are planning on using camp carnival, but wanted to know if there are things for the kids to do besides camp. How did you guys do in the dining room with your 1 year old? Were they pretty kid friendly, or did you feel you were a bother with a child. We are only going to bring the kids to the dining room one night maybe. So not a problem, but 2 night we will do buffet with them. And we were going to leave them at camp and do dinner on our own the other nights. Any advice for those of us with kids on the Destiny? Thanks

Can't wait.

We were just on the Destiny with a 4 and 8 year old and the dining room waiters loved the kids. They got lots of attention from all the staff everywhere throughout the ship. Of the 5 nights on the ship, we went to the dining room for dinner 4 of the nights with our kids. In the dining room they have a kids menu (mac&cheese, pizza, etc) too.

Besides Camp Carnival, Destiny has mini-golf, seaside theatre, waterslide. I'm sure there's other things I'm not thinking of. For the younger one's they have an enclosed play area (deck 10 or 11) with a small wading pool and outdoor toys.

Hopefully this helps.

Yes, this cruise left on saturday 3/28.

As for the foul odor, I did smell it and it is a terrible smell. I'm not sure what it is, but I didn't smell it until the last day. I almost wondered if it was some sort of trash or sewage. I noticed the smell first in the hallway walking back to our cabin and then again when walking the halls and then when lying in bed the last night.

As for activities for the kids, we didn't do any so I really can't comment. I will say for a two year old other than camp carnival activities will be rather limited.

The staff was extremely accommodating to in the dinner room for our daughter. She was on great behavior, but all the people coming up to her kept her entertained.

I will be in 8332 next door to your cabin on June 15th. Other than the lack of breeze, any observations about cabin location? I have read a couple reviews about a foul odor towards the aft and have been concerned about it.

Have you joined our roll call yet? It's located here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=778249&page=24.

Archived