Cruising to Ochos Rios and have 3 kids-What inexpensive, safe things do you recommend

honeycutt264

This is the first time my children will be cruising. They are 12, 9. and 7. Dunn's River was a thought but I see an 8 yr. old age limit. We would like to have fun in a safe environment and thought the falls and a beach/resort would be fun. Any thoughts or suggestions? I definately see the price difference with the cruise lines and local tourist groups that accomplish the same goal-cheaper. Does anybody have any recommendations for that? THANKS!!

We returned yesterday from our cruise and did the bobsled and Margaritaville with our kids, 13 and 10. We had a blast. The ship wouldn't let my 10 yo prebook the bobsled because he was under 12, but once on, we booked it with no age requirements. The transfers took 5 minutes and they returned us near Island Village. At the bobsled itself, I think there is a height requirement of 48 inches. There is a wonderful infinity edge pool there with a waterslide which the kids enjoyed. The beach at Margaritaville is small, but nice. We paid $5 a piece for them to use the water trampoline. This was within walking distance of the ship.

...there, I said it! Given the level of aggression I've experienced with venders, the offers of cabs/snorkling/pot/prostitutes, seeing "Ready Freddy" everywhere (google it so you can figure out how to explain him to your 7-year old), being physically grabbed at a market, being yelled at for saying no-thank-you to a vender, I just can not and will not recommend the island to anyone let alone people with small children.

I frankly will not book a cruise that goes to Jamaica. I've been there 3 times and each time I've left with a bad taste in my mouth. In fact I dislike the place so much my recommendation is actually to cancel your cruise and book one going somewhere, ANYWHERE, else.

...there, I said it! Given the level of aggression I've experienced with venders, the offers of cabs/snorkling/pot/prostitutes, seeing "Ready Freddy" everywhere (google it so you can figure out how to explain him to your 7-year old), being physically grabbed at a market, being yelled at for saying no-thank-you to a vender, I just can not and will not recommend the island to anyone let alone people with small children.

I frankly will not book a cruise that goes to Jamaica. I've been there 3 times and each time I've left with a bad taste in my mouth. In fact I dislike the place so much my recommendation is actually to cancel your cruise and book one going somewhere, ANYWHERE, else.

If you've been there 3 times and you disliked it everytime, not understanding why you went back?????

We also just got back yesterday from our cruise, We didn't do Dunn's River this time but did it last year, if you really want to do Dunn's River, I've never heard of an age limit. Last year we brought our 4 year old and she went all the way to the top, we booked it thru Marva Shaw and she also did the tubing after with no problems.

this year we went to the Sunset Jamaica Grande(all inclusive) our 5 and 8 year old loved this place, the price for cruisers was $60 adult and $30 kids. That was one of our kid's favorite places. Food wasn't the greatest, but unlimited drinks, water sports, waterslide, and watersports and a ton of beautiful pools.

If your child can fit the 48in height requirement, go to Mystic Mountain. The bobsled ride, chairlift and pool are wonderful. After that, go to Margaretaville for a fun afternoon.

Pay no attention to "robsvacation". You and your kids will have a ball and will visit one of the most beautiful islands in the Caribbean.

This is the first time my children will be cruising. They are 12, 9. and 7. Dunn's River was a thought but I see an 8 yr. old age limit. We would like to have fun in a safe environment and thought the falls and a beach/resort would be fun. Any thoughts or suggestions? I definately see the price difference with the cruise lines and local tourist groups that accomplish the same goal-cheaper. Does anybody have any recommendations for that? THANKS!!

For kids your age I would consider Coyaba River Garden and Museum. It's a beautiful botanical garden and waterfall. The falls are easy to climb and not very slippery. You will have a personal guide, so the tour is done at your own pace.

Beach resort - As a family you will love Sunset Jamaica Grande. It has several pools, a water trampoline plus a waterslide. You will never have to owrry about missing the ship because it sits squarely in the horizon :-)

Here is my Ocho Rios album:

http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/570701022IYvrGs

2771490240101627832S425x425Q85.jpg2998863720101627832S425x425Q85.jpg2404068230101627832S425x425Q85.jpg2558088880101627832S425x425Q85.jpg

Hope this helps

Booked it online ourselves (only 30 deposit)we also have 3 children youngest was 10. We did mystic mountain bobsled zipline and it included tour arround Jamica in air conditioned bus it was just our family of 5. Then Dunn river falls also shopping if you want. You can package your tour to do what you want. Our tour guide Lascells was excellent my children really liked him..you could tell he was genuine in his like for children I would def. reccomend him. At Dunn falls he took us out the way we came to avoid being hassled by vendors. We we're on freedom of the seas on March Break. Good Luck

just got back from jamaica. it was the most fabulous place! i don't understand the negativity about it. everyone was friendly. we saw no prostitutes,no drug dealers. noone groped us. my husband and i travel quit a bit and frankly jamaica was one of our favorite places. the people are so friendly. the children are adorable. we took a cab ride into the mountains. the driver was spectacular. a great guide. my husband went to jamaica for a week in september. he loved it so much,we are thinking of purchasing a vacation home there! i would not worry about children.

Archived