Back from the Star 11/21/04

shookri

This was our 5th cruise. 1st with NCL. Family of 4, 5year old and a 2 year old. We also went with other family of 4.

Excellent Cruise. NCL provides a great cruise experience. In fact it was alot better than the Celebrity Mercury we were on last year.

Here are some points.

Staff is friendly and professional.

Ship is fun and easy to navigate. The ship had no movement the entire trip down. I spoke to a cruiser who has been on 30 cruises said that this was the smoothest by longshot. He said this before we cruised back.

Food is excellent. We disagree with alot of post say that the extra charge restaurants are best. In part, our best meals were are the "traditional" no charge Aqua and Versilles. Though service was a little lacking in Versilles on the first time we tried it so we stuck with Aqua. Free-Style Dinning requires some getting used to. As you need to check with the daily menus in the Aqua and Versilles and make arrangements if you dont desire the offerings. I was up to the challenge. I likes all the menus except carribean night. we ate at the sushi boat that night. The sushi boat was all non-rawfish items. They had alot of pickled veggies instead. I was upset at first, but then I realized that they do this as a safety measure. In Fact, food safety is of the highest importance to the company. I learned that they just dont go off the ship an buy products. All of it has to be approved by the main office. The Sushi Chef did offer us some raw stuff at no charge. La Bistro is not any better than Aquas. We didnt get to go to Cagneys as we didnt want to miss lobster night. Note: the chef told me that due to the cruise industries huge growth, Lobster might not be around in a couple of years. any comments?

Entertainment was top quality, though the comedian bill was not funny.

Ports- Weather was nice and hot. Cabo was our favorite stop, but they are all nice. Take a cab to Ixtapa about 5-10 dollars, very lush and green.

We would definately use NCL again as a cruise option. Im sure I forgot to mention alot of things. If you have any questions please dont hesitate to ask.

TamaLee. Honey....Stop worrying about what to wear on formal night. You will be fine in anything from sequins to Dockers. Just relax and have fun.

Shookri. Doesn't sound like you tried any of the specialty restaurants. I still maintain that they are the absolute best bargain on the cruise. Le Bistro and Cagney's deliver a $100+ gourmet meal for $15.

The comedian, Bill, was much better in the Spinnaker Lounge on comedy nights. Liar's Night was truly, truly funny.

Linda

TamaLee,

My wife is planning on wearing a formal dress and has my black suit and fancy shirt with bow tie ready to go. No tux, just a black suit with fancy shirt. She's having a ball putting it together. She actually wants to do the same thing again later in the cruise, even though it won't be a "formal" night. So if you are wondering if anyone else will be doing formal................ WE WILL BE! (at least, on the 12/23 cruise)

Her two sisters and husbands also are doing the same thing. If you want to have fun and do "formal" put it together and you'll probably love it. But, if it's something you really don't want to do, then, from what I've read, it's absolutely no problem, just dress nice and have fun. I wouldn't worry about it. What I'm getting from this board is............. keep the dress code above sloppy and undignafied (jeans, T-shirts, torn clothing, etc.), and you'll be just fine.

We would definately use NCL again as a cruise option. Im sure I forgot to mention alot of things. If you have any questions please dont hesitate to ask.

I am really glad you had a great time. We are leaving on the Star on the 12/15 cruise. If you don't mind a few questions

What airport did you fly into?

How long did it take to debark the ship?

I am looking at a flight that leaves out of SNA (Santa Anna) just before noon and that might be pushing it a little but its a non stop.

Later

Rick

Rick: I think how hard or easy debarkation is depends on several different things. One of which would be if there is another ship in the harbour. I think you can find out on the World Cruise Center website if I remember right. But that may not be the only thing that could delay you.

We had a VERY, VERY slow disembarkation on 11/21. You definately would have been very lucky to get to SNA in enough time to check in and get on a noon flight.

I personally wouldn't chance it.

Emi

Thanks for your overview.

Did you participate in "formal night"? What percentage of the cruise passangers due you estimate dressed up?

That night was very elegant. I was suprised how nice everybody look. I remember most all the portrait stations and the large amount of people getting pictures taken.

I am really glad you had a great time. We are leaving on the Star on the 12/15 cruise. If you don't mind a few questions

What airport did you fly into?

How long did it take to debark the ship?

I am looking at a flight that leaves out of SNA (Santa Anna) just before noon and that might be pushing it a little but its a non stop.

We flew into LAX. We were one of the last people off the ship. We were off the ship by 10:00am. They have 7:00AM express if you sign up the night before.

TamaLee. Shookri. Doesn't sound like you tried any of the specialty restaurants. I still maintain that they are the absolute best bargain on the cruise. Le Bistro and Cagney's deliver a $100+ gourmet meal for $15.

Linda

We are 4 of us, $60.00. They charge full price for our 2 and 5 year old. I already paid $3500.00 to get there. Not complaining though. It was nice but just as nice as the no-charge Aqua. I haven`t been out to a french restaurant recently, but I think I could get a 3 course nice meal about $60.00.

My fillet was suppose to come with fois gras. I had to ask for it. Came later on separate plate, then my friend had to go thru the same routine. The Maitre`d should have addressed both fillets without asking twice. And my wifes stuffed chicken breast was not stuffed with anything. It was rolled. It was dry.

We are 4 of us, $60.00. They charge full price for our 2 and 5 year old. I already paid $3500.00 to get there. Not complaining though. It was nice but just as nice as the no-charge Aqua. I haven`t been out to a french restaurant recently, but I think I could get a 3 course nice meal about $60.00.

My fillet was suppose to come with fois gras. I had to ask for it. Came later on separate plate, then my friend had to go thru the same routine. The Maitre`d should have addressed both fillets without asking twice. And my wifes stuffed chicken breast was not stuffed with anything. It was rolled. It was dry.

I can't believe they charged you full price for both your children (especially the 2 yo), that's really bush league.

I don't get it ..... everyone keeps saying you get a $100 gourmet meal for ONLY $15-$25. You have already paid for all your meals in advance as part of the price of the cruise. So ... you are paying $15-$25 MORE for a little fancier food. They use all the same grade food products in all the restaurants, so you are really paying for preparation, presentation, and atmosphere.

We have never been charged for our two kids to dine at Le Bistro and in fact, we usually eat there twice every cruise. They have the same kids menu as in Aqua or Versailles so our kids ordered from that but then ordered desert from the Le Bistro menu. Is charging for kids something new or was it because we were given the kids menu? We were on the Star last spring so I am curious if this as changed. Thanks.

We had a VERY, VERY slow disembarkation on 11/21. You definately would have been very lucky to get to SNA in enough time to check in and get on a noon flight.

Thanks...I went ahead and booked a 2:10 PM flight that changes in Denver.

Rick

Emi. I know it seemed horrible when we disembarked, with the huge long line because everyone went at the same time. But really, we docked by 7 am and my sister and niece were merrily driving North on the 405 by 10. Francea got the two of us off by claiming an early flight, so we were at LAX by 9:30. Our flight to Denver left at 3! She's like that.

Wow. I can't believe Le Bistro would charge full price for kids either. And, I'm sorry you had bad meals there. That's the very first time I've heard that. Our meal was absolutely excellent at Le Bistro and at Cagney's.

Starting to plan the next cruise. :D

Linda

Linda: I know it seemed bad and it was much worse than last year but even so, it can be done (as you know!). They really have to get one batch off as quickly as possible to get the next group on in time.

Another big factor would be the day of the week too. We came home on a Sunday so traffic would have been much lighter than a work day. I don't know what the difference between driving to SNA or LAX is. I much prefer to not stress as much and tend to get lost driving around (I couldn't find the Character Warehouse before leaving town the other day....*pout*) so personally I wouldn't chance it.

Emi

We have never been charged for our two kids to dine at Le Bistro and in fact, we usually eat there twice every cruise. They have the same kids menu as in Aqua or Versailles so our kids ordered from that but then ordered desert from the Le Bistro menu. Is charging for kids something new or was it because we were given the kids menu? We were on the Star last spring so I am curious if this as changed. Thanks.

Our kids always ordered of the main menu. In La Bistro that is what they handed to us. In Versailles and Aqua, they handed us kids menus. There were fun puzzles on them that the kids enjoyed. But I was not about to order them chicken fingers and frys when they can get a real meal. We try to show them the good stuff.

Emi.

Wow. I can't believe Le Bistro would charge full price for kids either. And, I'm sorry you had bad meals there. That's the very first time I've heard that. Our meal was absolutely excellent at Le Bistro and at Cagney's.

I wouldn't call them bad meals. Just like Aqua and Versailles meals more. The Menu at Aqua and Versailles change daily and I really like that too.

Archived