Ok to book roundtrip air from Rome to PHL for transatlantic?

wardnlis

I've been reading a lot and just want to make sure I have this right. We are doing a transatlantic from Miami to Rome April 2010. We can fly to Florida on Southwest one way non-stop. And then we can book roundtrip air on say USAIR non stop from Rome to Philadelphia and make the return trip to Rome for some later date. Then we can either change that date to use it for another time or possibly even change the flight to use it somewhere else in the US for a fee? If I have this right, how far out should we look at booking our flights? Also how much later in the year do you choose as your return flight to Rome? Do I need to watch for restrictions on the tickets I purchase? Last time we just booked through the cruise line, but after everything I've been reading, with your help I hope to be able to save some money and be able to control my plans a little more. Thanks:confused:

I've been reading a lot and just want to make sure I have this right. We are doing a transatlantic from Miami to Rome April 2010. We can fly to Florida on Southwest one way non-stop. And then we can book roundtrip air on say USAIR non stop from Rome to Philadelphia and make the return trip to Rome for some later date. Then we can either change that date to use it for another time or possibly even change the flight to use it somewhere else in the US for a fee? If I have this right, how far out should we look at booking our flights? Also how much later in the year do you choose as your return flight to Rome? Do I need to watch for restrictions on the tickets I purchase? Last time we just booked through the cruise line, but after everything I've been reading, with your help I hope to be able to save some money and be able to control my plans a little more. Thanks:confused:

We're considering doing the same thing, only we need to get from Barcelona to PHL. I'm guessing you have to name the destination and date for the return portion of the ticket before you even take the first leg of the trip, otherwise it is probably cancelled out. Also, most airlines make you use the ticket within one year of booking, so keep that in mind when you are considering using the return portion for a later date.

I believe you can begin to book 330 days in advance.

Thanks! I wish the airlines would make it simplier. It's a lot of planning for something that should be so basic. I don't think I would do it on my own if I did't have theses boards to figure it all out.

Archived