Grand Cayman - Whats The Deal?

NYcruizer

Hi Jordan,

During the month of December 2004,the Navigator of the Seas is scheduled to stop there today, Dec. 1st, 15th, & when you are there on the 29th.

Here’s the Cayman Islands Port Authority Cruise Ship Schedule. Just choose your month & year & it will bring up all the ships scheduled to go there for the month.

http://www.caymanport.com/schedule.htm

Enjoy your time on my favorate ship! ;)

Happy Sailing,

Suzy B

Ive seen mixed messages about grand cayman and the ability to bring ships in. I have a dec 24th sailing on navigator, and i really want to know whats up! Thanks.

-Jordan

3 weeks from today

It is an on-going cleanup from a direct hit by a Hurricane. Some ships get in some dont. They try to hold it at 4 per day as the Island is very tore up.

We were on the Nov. 7th Mariner sailing and stopped there. In my opinion, I would have preferred a sea day. We took a cab to 7 mile beach and turned right around and went back to the ship. We usually stay on the beach across the street from the Holiday Inn and that part of the beach was closed. With only one small section open, it was over crowded and hot. The hurricane destroyed all the foliage on the island and there were no trees to hide from the hot sun. We couldn't find a spot on the sand to lay a towel or chair down. It didn't matter because all the umbrellas and chairs were sold out anyway and we were there early. There were portable generators on the beach to provide power to the restaurant/bar. It was a long cab ride back to the ship because of all the reconstruction (mostly roof damage and electric poles). The cab driver dropped us off at the wrong area for tenders and we waited for some time before we figured it out even though we've been there before.

Many of the stores are permanently closed and those in our group who decided to shop went back to the ship immediately.

If Grand Cayman is on any itinerary that I sail in the next year I will remain on the ship.

Dotsie

..I think you would be suprised how quickly they get things up to snuff. After all, tourism is vital to them.

I go in February, and assuming our ship gets in, I suspect most shops wil be operating, and all the beaches will be open. I'll chance Cayman over another

stop in overrated Nassau. But either one beats my place in the dead of winter.

Mitch

I was just on the Norwegian Majesty and one of our ports was Grand Cayman. We didn't think we were going there, were told we would go to Cancun instead. Our ship was not listed on the port schedule for GC when I checked a week before we left home. However when we boarded the ship we got a notice that we would be going to GC afterall. Not many of the shore excursions on the list were available so we ended up going on the bike tour which left from a resort out of town. It was only a 7 mile trip and since it is flat on the island, no problem. Also there was a nice breeze so we didn't get hot. And no rain although it did rain in town before we took the ride. We visited the turtle farm, Hell and 7 Mile Beach which is still a bit torn up as someone mentioned previously. There were only 6 of us plus the guide. I think we were all retired and over 60, except for the guide who was a pleasant young Irishman. Back on the ship we heard that most of the water tours (snorkeling, submarine, diving) were cancelled that day because the water was too churned up and murky. So many people were just wandering around on their own. Hopefully more will be open by the time we go again in late Feb. on the Brilliance. There is an outlet there for Waterford and Wedgewood and the liquor prices are supposedly lower than anywhere in the Caribbean. The people are doing their best to get back to normal after the hurricane and were glad to see us.

Archived