Who to tour with for the Chocchoben Ruins?

filamy

I’ve read a little about Native Choice (David & Ivan) is this the most popular tour or are there others. We’re looking for the half day so we can spend some time in town afterwards. All help will be appreciated.

100% Native Choice! We had David as our guide, he was great! The place is amazing and he got me really interested in the Mayans.

You even get some time after the tour to wonder around the ruins on your own.

After the drive back from the ruins they give you an option to be dropped off at the town of Majahual which is gorgeous! Lots of shopping, beach and food there. I believe we had a good couple of hours left after the tour to see this village. a taxi back to the ship is only about $2 pp.

Great company!

I was with David with Native Choice exactly one week ago today....sniff sniff - I wanna go back. He was, by far, a wonderful choice and I am so glad we went with them! He was very knowledgable and kept us entertained the entire time. The ruins were AMAZING. Have fun, take sunscreen and walking shoes!

We toured with Tucan de Costa Maya and had a great experience! They arranged for a combo tour of Chacchoben in the morning followed by a short snorkel (by boat) from Mahahual. Afterwards, we had about two hours to spend in Mahahual before returning to port by cab on our own (about $5 total for the cab). It was a great day!

How long will we tour the ruins? We got to kids and I am not sure how long they can be kept interested in the ruins but me and my husband really want to see some of those...

If I remember correctly, we were at the ruins a good couple of hours. (with the Native Choise Tour) The first part you go around with your guide and he tells you all about the Mayans, plants, etc. After that you have some free time to roam. Last October we went to Lamanai in Belize, my 8yr old neice....I was afraid she would be bored to tears. Luckily, these ruins are in the rainforest...there are lots of neat things to see, crazy looking trees, lots of wildlife, etc. She had a fun time just looking for animals. She did fine there. The worst part about it, was that it was very hot. And in many parts of the ruins you are standing in the sun. Be prepared!

• 3 weeks later...
We will be on the Westerdam, October 18th. The shore excursions are not posted yet.

I am curious, are David & Ivan one of the HAL excursions, if not how do you contact them? This sounds great.

Thanks.

They are not a ship sponsored tour...they have a website, the native choice dot com, or google them!

• 3 weeks later...
How long will we tour the ruins? We got to kids and I am not sure how long they can be kept interested in the ruins but me and my husband really want to see some of those...

We took our kids (then 6, 10 and 15) on this tour when we were in Costa Maya in 2007. The ride to Chacchoben is a little under an hour each way, then you spend a couple of hours at the ruins. My kids weren't bored at any point. The two little ones didn't necessarily listen to everything Ivan was saying during the tour, but that's because they were too busy looking at things around the site. And the pictures were great for our middle son to bring to school the next year when they studied the Mayans.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally decided to book a tour of the Mayan Ruins while we are in Costa Maya on July 1st (arriving on the Carnival Glory). Unfortunately, because I waited so long, the original tour - Chacchoben Extreme with The Native Choice is booked. I really was wanting to do that tour because it included a stop at Laguna Azul. Now it looks like we'll only be able to sign up for the non-extreme Chacchoben tour - no blue water for us :(!

Oh well, the early bird catches the worm. I'm sure we'll have a great time anyways...just hope it isn't extremely HOT!!!

Finally decided to book a tour of the Mayan Ruins while we are in Costa Maya on July 1st (arriving on the Carnival Glory). Unfortunately, because I waited so long, the original tour - Chacchoben Extreme with The Native Choice is booked. I really was wanting to do that tour because it included a stop at Laguna Azul. Now it looks like we'll only be able to sign up for the non-extreme Chacchoben tour - no blue water for us :(!

Oh well, the early bird catches the worm. I'm sure we'll have a great time anyways...just hope it isn't extremely HOT!!!

You still have hope for blue water! Dont give up! LOL

After the regular tour they will give you the option of being dropped off in Majahual. If you have not read anything about it, its just a small sea side town, lots of shops, food, etc. But the water on the coast there is beautiful! You can still get your swimming, beach time, or water sports in after the tour. :D

You still have hope for blue water! Dont give up! LOL

After the regular tour they will give you the option of being dropped off in Majahual. If you have not read anything about it, its just a small sea side town, lots of shops, food, etc. But the water on the coast there is beautiful! You can still get your swimming, beach time, or water sports in after the tour. :D

Thanks for the info...you've boosted my hopes of seeing the beautiful blue water....only a week before we set sail...:D

Paulette

• 4 weeks later...

I am wondering after taking the ruins tour with Native Choice, is there enough time to get a massage in Mahahual? There are 3 of us that will want one, are there enough "booths" for all of us to get our massage before getting back on the ship?

We will be on the Westerdam, October 18th. The shore excursions are not posted yet.

I am curious, are David & Ivan one of the HAL excursions, if not how do you contact them? This sounds great.

Thanks.

HI! we are also on the same cruise. We have a good roll-call board...come join us!

Archived