Childrens books in library

Hi everyone! I'm new here...Just booked our first cruise on Explorer of the Sea 6/24/10....So long to wait! My husband & I are surprising our 5 year old and my mom with the cruise on Christmas! :D Originally I booked promenade rooms but yesterday changed to balcony!!! We are in hump rooms 7318 & 7320 which I was told are very good rooms (location wise).

What I am wondering about is if the library has books for children. My son loves books and we usually read a few every night as he winds down for bed. It looks like we are fairly close to the library and it will be great if we can go over there and read a little bit before bed. Does anyone know how the selection is for kids? Also, does it work like a regular library - you can check books out? Or you do just read them there?

Thanks! I'm so excited I found this message board. I have lots of questions and since this is a surprise....I don't have anyone to be excited with!!!!

The library works like a Library on land and you can check books out to take to your room. The only difference it´s kind of an honor system and there´s no one to "guard" the books. There´s a list where you check out the book and there´s a drop off box to return it.

I can´t help about the kids books, I´ve never seen some, but then I´ve never looked for some.

You might want to ask this on the Family boards as well.

I have only walked in the library usually once per cruise just to see it. From what I remember just by glancing it seemed they were all thick big books. I didn't notice a childrens section or small thin books.

I have never seen any childrens books in a ship library. If your taking a christmas cruise why not wrap up some nice new books so he could unwrap one each night, he will be happy with the new books and you will know he has good books to enjoy.

Enjoy your cruise!!

Bev

I love the above suggestion; when we were on Explorer in Feb. 2008 they had a Harry Potter book, "The Little Princess," and several good quality picture books for the little ones. Why not take some books that he/she will outgrow soon and leave them on board? I would definitely bring something that will appeal at bedtime, since you can't count on the books not having been checked out, even assuming that they are still there after all these months!

My kids were able to read children's books at the library on both Liberty of the Seas and Freedom of the Seas. I don't know about Explorer, though. There was not a huge selection on either ship, but a few books is better than none.

You may want to ask about this on the Family Cruising board. I believe that RCCL is supposed to be adding kids books to the libraries onboard all the ships to enhance the offerings for families but crusinmama06 would know better than I would.

You may want to ask about this on the Family Cruising board. I believe that RCCL is supposed to be adding kids books to the libraries onboard all the ships to enhance the offerings for families but crusinmama06 would know better than I would.

Awww thanks. :D Yes, I said on the Family Board that they are suppose to have them. But since I haven't been on Explorer, I can't confirm it.

This was the mailing I received on it...

Children's Library Fleetwide

The Adventure Family Library with a range of books for the entire family, a journey within a journey is just around the corner from your stateroom. They've designed the libraries in such a way that books for young readers are easily accessible. From books about animals to toddlers to bedtime stories, there is something to keep your little ones entertained. Books can be found in different languages, depending on your itinerary. Choose your child's favorite story, or try out a different one each night with the Royal Caribbean Adventure Family Library.

Archived