Releasing our table in the main dining room ... or not?

He everyone,

Just throwing this out for an opinion, to see what others have done previously...

We are booked on the Voyager 5/7 repositioning cruise (my 4th cruise, and my wife's 3rd, all with RCCL). On this cruise, we have no interest in eating in the main dining room, but will rather concentrate on either Portofino, the Windjammer, or JR's.

We made the reservation directly with RCL, but was told by the agent that we had no choice and had to choose either early or late seating for dinner. Can we assume that we can ask the head-waiter to release our table when we get on board, or is there something else that we should do PRIOR to the cruise.

We do not want to screw the dining room attendents out of their tips for the week, at the same time we have no desire to tip them for services that we have no intention on using. We have been told previously that releasing our table assignment is the way to go in this particular case, and it would have the added benefit of allowing another couple who want main seating to use our table.

Any thoughts?

Mike & Silke

Someone had asked that on here before, and RCCL does not allow you to release it. You have to be considered a dining room quest whether or not you eat there. And Yes, you are supposed to tip the dining room staff even if you do not sit at your table.

Please no flames about this post. ;) I do not care one way or the other what others do. I am just giving the facts learned from someone who actually went through this on a cruise we took and from reading these boards.

Just let the head waiter know that you will not be attending dinners in the dining room. However, I feel the table wait staff should still be tipped. They all work in other non-tipping-type venues, i.e., Windjammer, other (especially casual) eateries, when they are not assigned to the dining room (lunch, breakfast, etc.)

Michele

Just an FYI -- the dining room staff work in the dining rooms (formal and buffet) for breakfast and lunch and they work the midnight buffets too. So, are you still using their services? Yes.

Just my observation as I just got off the VOS on Saturday -- our assistant waiter was busy getting coffee and juice for everyone in the Windjammer at 8:00 a.m.

Ditto to what the others have said. On the Navigator I saw and spoke to our head waiter and assistant waiter from the dining room when we were having breakfast in the Windjammer. I suppose if I'd looked around, our waiter was probably there too. Even if you never go to the dining room, these crew members will probably be providing some kind of service in one of the other venues.

Archived