Butterfly Farm AND Zoo: Doable?

Lady_Jag

Hi!

We'll be arriving in St. Martin on Carnival Glory at 8:00am, then departing at 6:00pm. Our party of five includes my 3-year-old daughter and my almost 60-year-old mother, who will need a wheelchair for long distances. (She can walk short distances, so she does not require a wheelchair on a regular basis.)

I doubt we will be off the ship at 8 or even 8:30. More like 9:00-9:30am. We plan to catch a cab to the butterfly farm, take our time looking around, then go to the zoo/park for a visit with the animals. I think my mom might also like a little shopping in Phillipsburg. We'll also need to grab a bite for lunch at some point.

Is this plan too ambitious? I don't want to over-schedule us and feel rushed to take everything in. If we HAD to choose between the butterfly farm and the zoo, which would you recommend?

Also, what kind of shopping is in Phillipsburg? Is it worth carving out some time to shop there?

Thanks!

Hi!

We'll be arriving in St. Martin on Carnival Glory at 8:00am, then departing at 6:00pm. Our party of five includes my 3-year-old daughter and my almost 60-year-old mother, who will need a wheelchair for long distances. (She can walk short distances, so she does not require a wheelchair on a regular basis.)

I doubt we will be off the ship at 8 or even 8:30. More like 9:00-9:30am. We plan to catch a cab to the butterfly farm, take our time looking around, then go to the zoo/park for a visit with the animals. I think my mom might also like a little shopping in Phillipsburg. We'll also need to grab a bite for lunch at some point.

Is this plan too ambitious? I don't want to over-schedule us and feel rushed to take everything in. If we HAD to choose between the butterfly farm and the zoo, which would you recommend?

Also, what kind of shopping is in Phillipsburg? Is it worth carving out some time to shop there?

Thanks!

Really? No thoughts or recommendations?

Visiting the Butterfly Farm and then St. Maarten Park, and in that sequence, shouldn't be a problem at all, and it makes sense.

When you get back to the Park (Zoo) you'll be really close to the ship, so timing shouldn't be any problem at all.

Between the Park and the Cruise Facility is downtown Philipsburg and the best shopping in the Caribbean.

If you happen to be shopping for jewelry, watches, liquor, perfume or cosmetics, high-end handbags, tablecloths and linens, Delft porcelain, or many other items, you can't do better.

Some people would include cameras and electronics here, but I don't have them on my list.

There are perhaps dozens of places on Front Street and/or along the beachfront Boardwalk for a bite to eat.

If you get tied up somewhere and start to run out of time, note that there is some shopping available back at the Cruise Facility, but it doesn't begin to compare to what is available along Front Street in downtown Philipsburg.

gary

p.s. I believe that tablecloths and linens are one of the very best bargains on the island (after booze and jewelry), so please go right now and measure your tables to determine the size of the items that you will buy on Front Street.

Visiting the Butterfly Farm and then St. Maarten Park, and in that sequence, shouldn't be a problem at all, and it makes sense.

When you get back to the Park (Zoo) you'll be really close to the ship, so timing shouldn't be any problem at all.

Between the Park and the Cruise Facility is downtown Philipsburg and the best shopping in the Caribbean.

If you happen to be shopping for jewelry, watches, liquor, perfume or cosmetics, high-end handbags, tablecloths and linens, Delft porcelain, or many other items, you can't do better.

Some people would include cameras and electronics here, but I don't have them on my list.

There are perhaps dozens of places on Front Street and/or along the beachfront Boardwalk for a bite to eat.

If you get tied up somewhere and start to run out of time, note that there is some shopping available back at the Cruise Facility, but it doesn't begin to compare to what is available along Front Street in downtown Philipsburg.

gary

p.s. I believe that tablecloths and linens are one of the very best bargains on the island (after booze and jewelry), so please go right now and measure your tables to determine the size of the items that you will buy on Front Street.

Thanks so much, Gary! I heard about linens being GREAT buys in St. Martin and was actually planning to buy some nice linens as birthday gifts for close friends and family members.

And of course, I'll have my own table measurements too. :D

Anyone know of a specific store in Philipsburg they might trust to buy a simple diamond pendant necklace. I am thinking of looking for one on the island. We are not much interested in another Diamonds International store as we are disappointed in them from a previous purchase. And, have you found jewelry prices are much better than in the U.S? We will be on the Maasdam on their holiday Dec.28 cruise.

Alice

You'll probably do better if you ask this question as a new thread, instead of buried in the Butterfly Farm/Zoo discussion, but to answer your question, we trust Shiva's.

Use the search function to find many comments regarding the store.

gary

Archived