CHeck in question - reservation name and passport name do not match

Littlegoo75

At this time, Customs and Border Protection (CBP) only requires that a U.S. Citizen can prove they are a U.S. citizen in order to regain entry into the U.S. upon the ship's return. This can be done with a birth certificate and photo ID or a Passport.

Here is my issue; I have 2 aliases in addition to my current legal name. The reservation was made under my current legal name. My valid U.S. Passport has one of my alias names (my married name from my first husband, who I have been divorced from for 3 years). My birth certificate is obviously in my maiden name, and I have a temporary drivers license with my current legal name on it, the reason I don't have a permenant card is because in Texas, they issue you a temp. paper license without a photo on it, and mail you the hard copy within 2-6 weeks....well it's been 2 weeks and I have not yet received it in the mail. When I applied for the license, I had to surrender my old license from the state I lived in before I moved here.

I know CBP will not hassel me because I am able to prove I am a U.S. citizen with my valid passport. However, will Carnival hassel me upon check in because the name on my reservation is not the same as the name my passport? Even if I show them my marriage license, which has my maiden name on it (not the name that appears on my passport) that might not do any good- and, I can not find it anyway because I moved across country a few months ago, and in the shuffle, it cannot be located at this time.

From anyone's experience with the Carnival people that check you in, do you think I am going to get hasseled over this? I know their main concern is that their guests do not run into any issues concerning not being let back into the country, but if CBP isn't going to have any issues concerning my passport when I return to the U.S. why should Carnival?

Any help is appreciated.

I checked into this for myself not too long ago. Per Carnival all I needed was the documentation linking my names to each other. So your married name linked to your "Alias" on your passport through some form of legal documentation, like a name change application or marriage certificate.

At this time, Customs and Border Protection (CBP) only requires that a U.S. Citizen can prove they are a U.S. citizen in order to regain entry into the U.S. upon the ship's return. This can be done with a birth certificate and photo ID or a Passport.

Here is my issue; I have 2 aliases in addition to my current legal name. The reservation was made under my current legal name. My valid U.S. Passport has one of my alias names (my married name from my first husband, who I have been divorced from for 3 years). My birth certificate is obviously in my maiden name, and I have a temporary drivers license with my current legal name on it, the reason I don't have a permenant card is because in Texas, they issue you a temp. paper license without a photo on it, and mail you the hard copy within 2-6 weeks....well it's been 2 weeks and I have not yet received it in the mail. When I applied for the license, I had to surrender my old license from the state I lived in before I moved here.

I know CBP will not hassel me because I am able to prove I am a U.S. citizen with my valid passport. However, will Carnival hassel me upon check in because the name on my reservation is not the same as the name my passport? Even if I show them my marriage license, which has my maiden name on it (not the name that appears on my passport) that might not do any good- and, I can not find it anyway because I moved across country a few months ago, and in the shuffle, it cannot be located at this time.

From anyone's experience with the Carnival people that check you in, do you think I am going to get hasseled over this? I know their main concern is that their guests do not run into any issues concerning not being let back into the country, but if CBP isn't going to have any issues concerning my passport when I return to the U.S. why should Carnival?

Any help is appreciated.

The names must match. Whatever you use for identification must match the name on the reservation...else, there is no way to prove who you really are.

You should get this straightened out before your cruise...you could be denied boarding and that would be awful.

And, their "main concern" is following the laws of the U.S. Department of State and Homeland Security...and enforcing their laws on citizenship..and proof of citizenship. Those entities dictate what is required....Carnival makes no decisions one way or the other about what's acceptable.

Do yourself a favor, find a name you like and settle on it....and get identification to match the reservation...or change the reservation name....

Yep- Just got off of the phone with a Rep. and I am either going to have to change the name on my reservation (which I don't want to do because it would be in the name of my stupid jerk of an ex-husband) so that it matches my valid passport, or just use my Tx. driver's license and birth certificate. I just got off the phone with the Tx. Dept. of Safety and my license was mailed out on April 2nd, so I should be getting the real official thing any day now. Yay! So I am fine. Lesson learned.....I should have gotten this straightened out weeks ago (I just happened to book the cruise at the last minute though). I will send my passport in to get the name changed too, just so I have it done next time I need to travel, when I will have to use the passport, I won't have any problems.

BTW, I work for DHS, so I know all of the DHS requirments, and I know Carnival is just covering their butt. Makes sense...and I definitely should know better!

My PP is in my maiden name, brought my marriage license and it was never asked for, not at check-in, not at customs. Bring your divorce decree, just in case, but you probably won't need it. The customs guy said he looks at the pic and matches the pics without touching the names because women's names change so much.

~Kristie

edited: I am going to get my PP changed before my brother's wedding cruise next May because we will be flying to port.

Yep, there is a chance that it wouldn't matter, but with my luck, the person checking me in would have a problem with it and not let me board, and that would suck big time! I would rather not take any chances. I will bring my passport, birth certificate and drivers license as well as Social Security cards in all of my names.

Yep- Just got off of the phone with a Rep. and I am either going to have to change the name on my reservation (which I don't want to do because it would be in the name of my stupid jerk of an ex-husband) so that it matches my valid passport, or just use my Tx. driver's license and birth certificate. I just got off the phone with the Tx. Dept. of Safety and my license was mailed out on April 2nd, so I should be getting the real official thing any day now. Yay! So I am fine. Lesson learned.....I should have gotten this straightened out weeks ago (I just happened to book the cruise at the last minute though). I will send my passport in to get the name changed too, just so I have it done next time I need to travel, when I will have to use the passport, I won't have any problems.

BTW, I work for DHS, so I know all of the DHS requirments, and I know Carnival is just covering their butt. Makes sense...and I definitely should know better!

Luckily, it was a simple fix. I have a complicated name because when I got married, I continued to use my maiden name, so on my DL and passport it has both last names, however, my booking was under just my married name...anyway my TA said as long as the first and last names are the same then everything in between doesn't matter. I've had no problems since I got the passport getting through customs.

Welcome to Texas, I moved down here 5 years ago. Just a little off topic, but when you do get your Texas liscence be sure and take a xerox of it for your records at home.

If you should ever lose it (like my sister did in Nassau) or need an address change or something, there is an 11 digit number (not your DL #) on the left side of your picture. You need that number to be able to do an online transaction as opposed to spending 1/2 the day down at the DMV.

Thanks OKgirl. I LOVE Texas so far. I am a native Californian, spent 5 years in New Mexico, and then 5 years in the Washington D.C. area before settling here a few months ago. We plan on staying put here. I have only passed through driving and had flight connections in Dallas, but it looks like a nice city and can't wait to spend a few days there.

Yeah, I was kind of sad that I didn't get my driver's license right away...in New Mexico and Virginia, I walked right out with it. It should be in the mail when I get home today.

Yeah, being a woman and going through name changes sure is a hassel, isn't it? I have credit cards in three names and have to keep 3 different social security cards with me!

Archived