Never Cruising Carnival Again - PLEASE read and give me a chance !

RaceMedic

Guys we need to remember one thing. Carnival doesn't own the airlines. Since they don't and this is a business they could charge more for the flights to cover any late arrivals due to the airlines themselves. Those who fly all could pay more for their vacations just to insure their on time arrival and their luggage or they can have lower fares. Now I'm not saying I wouldn't be mad as hell if it happened to me but after I settled down I would understand. I have already been irritated by the Carnival staff but not enough to cancel my trips.

Had his flight been on time, he would have easily made it to the port in time. That's on the airline.

If the OP would've booked his own air I wouldn't be sympathetic but he trusted Carnival to get him there on time and even made inquiries as to how close the times were. Even the purser complained to the OP that the flight times were too close yet it was Carnival that booked them. Your faulting him for not doing research. What about the first-time cruising grandparents that don't have a computer? Is it their fault too if they rely on a Carnival "Personal Vacation Planner" to make all their arrangements and then get hosed on something? I actually do flight paperwork for a living, weight and balance specifically, and have for the past 13 years and 2 hrs is tight when you consider time to get baggage, time to trek to the bus/shuttle, time for the shuttle driver to actually depart the airport, time for the drive, time for offloading baggage, time for going through security screening and getting onto the ship. It's not a 20 minute ordeal like you say, far from it. It's 20 minutes alone to offload, sort baggage and get it to passengers. The flight times were too close and should have been adjusted. I do fault the O for packing his meds instead of carrying on. I also do not think they owe him a free cruise in the least. I simply think that to say Carnival didn't do anything wrong here is wrong in itself. They at the least could have comped the tux rental or a measley $50 obc for all their hassle. They have lost far more than that in business from first-timers reading this thread.

But they are seeking monetary compensation. They ask for a cruise discount in their second letter, but title this "Never Cruising Carnival Again." I guess they're never sailing Carnival again unless Carnival kicks in a free cruise. That kind of reeks of "working the system," especially when they proclaim that the cruise itself was great.

If they're not seeking compensation monetarily, what are they seeking? They got an apology. It's right there in the first response from Carnival.

And it's not Carnival's responsibility to kick in some free clothes...that's what travel insurance was for...which they had but apparently didn't know how to use. Is that Carnival's fault, too? Where do we draw the line?

Carnival booked them on a flight that would have gotten them in on time (and did get them to the boat on time...had it not, this would be a completely different story). They aren't fortune tellers. Perhaps Carnival couldn't get them on an earlier flight. I think if anyone, the OP should be angry with the airline because they got them in late.

I'm not a Carnival cheerleader (far from it), but come on...the OP is an adult. Personal responsibility comes into play, too, and the OP clearly did no research into his cruise and didn't read his cruise contract, the cruise documents, or his travel insurance policy. If he did, I doubt we'd be reading this.

Just like I said before...It's NEVER Carnival's fault for anything, the OP was obviously just working the system and should have been Flogged the moment he thought badly of Carnival for the way this situation turned out. How dare they expect Carnival to do the right thing. :D

But they are seeking monetary compensation. They ask for a cruise discount in their second letter, but title this "Never Cruising Carnival Again." I guess they're never sailing Carnival again unless Carnival kicks in a free cruise. That kind of reeks of "working the system," especially when they proclaim that the cruise itself was great.

If they're not seeking compensation monetarily, what are they seeking? They got an apology. It's right there in the first response from Carnival.

And it's not Carnival's responsibility to kick in some free clothes...that's what travel insurance was for...which they had but apparently didn't know how to use. Is that Carnival's fault, too? Where do we draw the line?

Carnival booked them on a flight that would have gotten them in on time (and did get them to the boat on time...had it not, this would be a completely different story). They aren't fortune tellers. Perhaps Carnival couldn't get them on an earlier flight. I think if anyone, the OP should be angry with the airline because they got them in late.

I'm not a Carnival cheerleader (far from it), but come on...the OP is an adult. Personal responsibility comes into play, too, and the OP clearly did no research into his cruise and didn't read his cruise contract, the cruise documents, or his travel insurance policy. If he did, I doubt we'd be reading this.

Reading Comprehension 101. He's not so angry with the airline - he's angry of the treatment afterwards. Had they shown some (or any) empathy for their own cluster, it would not be an issue. Just a lesson learned.

If the OP would've booked his own air I wouldn't be sympathetic but he trusted Carnival to get him there on time and even made inquiries as to how close the times were. Even the purser complained to the OP that the flight times were too close yet it was Carnival that booked them. Your faulting him for not doing research. What about the first-time cruising grandparents that don't have a computer? Is it their fault too if they rely on a Carnival "Personal Vacation Planner" to make all their arrangements and then get hosed on something? I actually do flight paperwork for a living, weight and balance specifically, and have for the past 13 years and 2 hrs is tight when you consider time to get baggage, time to trek to the bus/shuttle, time for the shuttle driver to actually depart the airport, time for the drive, time for offloading baggage, time for going through security screening and getting onto the ship. It's not a 20 minute ordeal like you say, far from it. It's 20 minutes alone to offload, sort baggage and get it to passengers. The flight times were too close and should have been adjusted. I do fault the O for packing his meds instead of carrying on. I also do not think they owe him a free cruise in the least. I simply think that to say Carnival didn't do anything wrong here is wrong in itself. They at the least could have comped the tux rental or a measley $50 obc for all their hassle. They have lost far more than that in business from first-timers reading this thread.

I never said Carnival did nothing wrong (I've said plenty of times how they've handled this is deplorable)...but nothing was done here that is deserving of any monetary compensation, be it a discounted or free cruise, which is what the OP is asking for in his second letter.

He got an apology. He wants a free cruise. It's there in plain ink. That's the part that bothers me: yes, Carnival was wrong...but he's seeking monetary compensation for a cruise he enjoyed, where no harm was done to him bodily or to his property. That reeks of something foul to me.

And I've done the trip from the Tampa airport to the port...it took less than a half hour from the time we got off the plane to the time we arrived at the port. That included getting our luggage off the carousel and getting a cab. Had his flight arrived on time, he would have had two hours to get to the port. It's not like he was traveling from Fort Lauderdale Airport to the Port of Miami...it's a few miles. That probably factored into the flights. Had they flown him into Orlando or another airport in the vicinity, I doubt they would have given him less than two hours, but two hours to go a few miles? 9 times out of 10, that's more than enough.

It's not Carnival's fault that the flight was delayed. It's a series of unfortunate circumstances that should have been dealt with carefully and compassionately and wasn't. The lack of customer service by the purser's desk is Carnival's problem. The flight not arriving on time is not. This still does not owe the OP a free cruise.

Just like I said before...It's NEVER Carnival's fault for anything, the OP was obviously just working the system and should have been Flogged the moment he thought badly of Carnival for the way this situation turned out. How dare they expect Carnival to do the right thing. :D

Have you read ANY of my posts? I've acknowledged Carnival's culpability.

But the OP is seeking a free cruise or a discounted cruise...he IS working the system. He got an apology. Why is that not enough?

Have you read ANY of my posts? I've acknowledged Carnival's culpability.

But the OP is seeking a free cruise or a discounted cruise...he IS working the system. He got an apology. Why is that not enough?

No, no, no...let's just Flog the OP and be done with it...He deserves it don't you think? ;)

I never said Carnival did nothing wrong (I've said plenty of times how they've handled this is deplorable)...but nothing was done here that is deserving of any monetary compensation, be it a discounted or free cruise, which is what the OP is asking for in his second letter.

He got an apology. He wants a free cruise. It's there in plain ink. That's the part that bothers me: yes, Carnival was wrong...but he's seeking monetary compensation for a cruise he enjoyed, where no harm was done to him bodily or to his property. That reeks of something foul to me.

And I've done the trip from the Tampa airport to the port...it took less than a half hour from the time we got off the plane to the time we arrived at the port. That included getting our luggage off the carousel and getting a cab. Had his flight arrived on time, he would have had two hours to get to the port. It's not like he was traveling from Fort Lauderdale Airport to the Port of Miami...it's a few miles. That probably factored into the flights. Had they flown him into Orlando or another airport in the vicinity, I doubt they would have given him less than two hours, but two hours to go a few miles? 9 times out of 10, that's more than enough.

It's not Carnival's fault that the flight was delayed. It's a series of unfortunate circumstances that should have been dealt with carefully and compassionately and wasn't. The lack of customer service by the purser's desk is Carnival's problem. The flight not arriving on time is not. This still does not owe the OP a free cruise.

He has not asked for a free cruise. He asked for the discount on the advice of a CCL employee after hearing his concerns. Did he make a mistake there? I don't know, maybe?

Reading Comprehension 101. He's not so angry with the airline - he's angry of the treatment afterwards. Had they shown some (or any) empathy for their own cluster, it would not be an issue. Just a lesson learned.

Just trying to save this from getting ugly. What a cool name you are using new cat in town see how I put spaces in there. Everyone remember this is a business and we don't know how many times a day they get calls wanting something comped. I'm not saying that they the OP dosen't have something to be upset about but if they (Carnival) took care of every complaint we would all pay more. I know you will say "I'm not talking about every complaint but just this one "guess what that is what they all say". I do believe Carnival needs to at least listen and that somethings are due consideration for some sort of compensation.

They have lost far more than that in business from first-timers reading this thread.

You do realize that less than 1/10th of 1% of all cruisers in the US even look at Cruise Critic. Of that only so many members of Cruise Critic look at this Carnival board. Of that number many will not even notice this thread or just pass it by (which I should of) as just another person upset and complianing about another cruiseline......

This thread will have no effect at all......;)

JMHO

Out of this thread though a first time cruser might learn to book from far away to go to the port the day before no matter what.....

He has not asked for a free cruise. He asked for the discount on the advice of a CCL employee after hearing his concerns. Did he make a mistake there? I don't know, maybe?

But why even ask if he's "Never Cruising Carnival Again?" If the experience was that bad, it wouldn't matter.

Something smells funky there...he had a great time...but he's not sailing Carnival again...unless he gets a discount on his next cruise?

When you ask for tangible compensation (a discount, a free cruise, OBC, whatever), the focus comes off the issue and is now on the fact that the person wants to profit off of the situation. Had he not asked for this kind of compensation, would this thread have veered into the direction it has? Probably not. He doesn't seem to be satisfied with Carnival accepting responsibility for the shortcomings of their staff. He's not satisfied with an apology. He won't say why he believes he is owed a discounted cruise when he ENJOYED his cruise.

No one is denying that Carnival has *some* fault here. But the OP refuses to acknowledge that he, too, is culpable. And the fact that an apology isn't enough is off putting.

You miss the point, again. Having booked AIR & cruise with CCL, they had some missteps. The straw was the lack of ANY ownership of the problem. First cruise, first formal night, no clothes. Small gestures go a long way, but I guess you just don't see that. The straw that broke the camels back was not being able to dress as they would have liked to for that night (CCL has some responsibility here). Give the guys something, and all would be good. Many people have been comped for crap that doesn't even come close to this. Goodwill....

Methinks had they had some empathy, and shown goodwill, this would not be the issue it is now.

But didn't they have empathy and show goodwill by apologizing? We had a problem with the medical staff on Princess a few years ago. We weren't searching for a free cruise/OBC/a discount because our experience was so bad that we didn't want to go back. We alerted Princess to the problem (which could, potentially, cause them more problems). They wouldn't acknowledge it, or apologize for it. This went on for a month and we gave up.

Carnival apologized and the OP didn't think it was enough, so he wrote a second letter, then demanding compensation. I think that apology *is* a sign of goodwill, especially since it's so rare for a big corp to admit guilt to anything nowadays. And I think the OP did himself a disservice by demanding compensation if he wants his claims to be taken seriously.

But why even ask if he's "Never Cruising Carnival Again?" If the experience was that bad, it wouldn't matter.

Something smells funky there...he had a great time...but he's not sailing Carnival again...unless he gets a discount on his next cruise?

When you ask for tangible compensation (a discount, a free cruise, OBC, whatever), the focus comes off the issue and is now on the fact that the person wants to profit off of the situation. Had he not asked for this kind of compensation, would this thread have veered into the direction it has? Probably not. He doesn't seem to be satisfied with Carnival accepting responsibility for the shortcomings of their staff. He's not satisfied with an apology. He won't say why he believes he is owed a discounted cruise when he ENJOYED his cruise.

No one is denying that Carnival has *some* fault here. But the OP refuses to acknowledge that he, too, is culpable. And the fact that an apology isn't enough is off putting.

You are just spoiling for an argument, and I'm not biting.

RaceMedic

I am so sorry to hear that your first cruise started out so badly. I have friends who had a "bad" first cruise, and because of it, will never cruise again. You were totally in the right and Carnival was in the wrong. You had every right to expect that the services provided should have had you on the ship on time along with all of your luggage. Your letters were well written and very professional and should have gotten a better response from Carnival. I think that their attitude in this situation shows that they just don't care.

I hope you ignore those who say you should have known not to book flights through the cruise line, as this is totally ludicrous. How were you supposed to know? Not everyone finds these boards prior to their first cruise. I didn't find it until WELL after my first cruise. Was your TA aware of the problems that can come up when booking through the cruise line? I can understand the fact that they should have known, but not that you should have.

In answer to the question of whether another cruise line would have acted differently, I can say that I think some would have. On our last Princess cruise, they turned the A/C off in the rooms on our deck while in the last port. When we got back on board, it was miserably hot in them. When I got home I wrote a letter (snail mail) to customer service about it, and they replied quickly. I was not asking for any compensation other than being assured this would not happen again. However, they are giving us $100 on board credit on our next cruise. And not only did they make the offer to us, but they looked up and offered it to the other 10 people cruising with us (who also had rooms on the same floor). None of the others had complained or signed the letter. The compensation itself is not a big deal since we could get it anyway...it is the fact that they accepted responsibility!

Oh, and please do not make this "one last kick in the can". I would make a royal pain of myself if I were you. This is not some minor inconvenience to you. If Carnival (indeed all cruise lines) don't want to stand behind any flight plans made through a service they provide or promote, (even if it's not Carnival per se providing the flights), then they should not offer them or the service. Plain and simple. It must be nice to offer a service and then say "sorry, but we're not liable! I'm sorry folks....but cruise lines and their ilk get away with this type of behavior because WE allow them to. Be the squeaky wheel Racemedic. Personally, I'd like to see you tell every cruise board there is...and let Carnival know you are doing it. Maybe the thought of some bad publicity might help nudge them along a bit. I agree that there are some who like to complain about every tiny little thing, who feel everything is owed them and feel they should be treated royally by the cruise lines, but that is NOT what's happening here. I'm one of those who feel that in this case, you do deserve some compensation. Asking for 20% off on your next cruise is not asking too much. If Carnival were smart, they'd rather have you cruise with them at a discount, than go to another line and possibly never cruise with them again. I have never understood bad customer service.

So, with all this being said, I will be cruising Carnival for the first time next month. Thankfully, It is only a short 3 night-er...and I get to drive to the port! This thread has given me something to think about though. Next year, some of my family members want to do the Mexican Riviera, and we will be joining them, We are doing that exact one this year, but on Royal Caribbean (in a few months), I thought about going on Carnival next year to change things up, but now I'm just going to rebook on RCCL. So....Carnival has just lost about 5 rooms that would have been booked.

Food for thought...... I have to wonder how all those who are sticking up for Carnival would feel if something like this actually happened to them. Before getting on here and blasting me.....REALLY think about your answer. Are you sure you would be OK with having no clothes for a few days? I know I wouldn't. Remember, it's easy to say what someone else should have done, but the lines aren't so clear when we have to walk in their shoes.

I am going to print and send this entire thread to Carnival. I hope others will also.

You do realize that less than 1/10th of 1% of all cruisers in the US even look at Cruise Critic. Of that only so many members of Cruise Critic look at this Carnival board. Of that number many will not even notice this thread or just pass it by (which I should of) as just another person upset and complianing about another cruiseline......

This thread will have no effect at all......;)

JMHO

Out of this thread though a first time cruser might learn to book from far away to go to the port the day before no matter what.....

Wow, I heard that a recent survey of Cruiser's indicated that 3% of them look at what is on CC. Your numbers are way different than mine.

Remember there are Lies, there are Damn Lies and there are Statistics... you can make them whatever you want them to be to try and prove your point. "A" for effort. ;)

Wow, I heard that a recent survey of Cruiser's indicated that 3% of them look at what is on CC. Your numbers are way different than mine.

Remember there are Lies, there are Damn Lies and there are Statistics... you can make them whatever you want them to be to try and prove your point. "A" for effort. ;)

Please produce that survey.....Then I'll buy what you are shoveling.....;)

RaceMedic

I am so sorry to hear that your first cruise started out so badly. I have friends who had a "bad" first cruise, and because of it, will never cruise again. You were totally in the right and Carnival was in the wrong. You had every right to expect that the services provided should have had you on the ship on time along with all of your luggage. Your letters were well written and very professional and should have gotten a better response from Carnival. I think that their attitude in this situation shows that they just don't care.

I hope you ignore those who say you should have known not to book flights through the cruise line, as this is totally ludicrous. How were you supposed to know? Not everyone finds these boards prior to their first cruise. I didn't find it until WELL after my first cruise. Was your TA aware of the problems that can come up when booking through the cruise line? I can understand the fact that they should have known, but not that you should have.

In answer to the question of whether another cruise line would have acted differently, I can say that I think some would have. On our last Princess cruise, they turned the A/C off in the rooms on our deck while in the last port. When we got back on board, it was miserably hot in them. When I got home I wrote a letter (snail mail) to customer service about it, and they replied quickly. I was not asking for any compensation other than being assured this would not happen again. However, they are giving us $100 on board credit on our next cruise. And not only did they make the offer to us, but they looked up and offered it to the other 10 people cruising with us (who also had rooms on the same floor). None of the others had complained or signed the letter. The compensation itself is not a big deal since we could get it anyway...it is the fact that they accepted responsibility!

Oh, and please do not make this "one last kick in the can". I would make a royal pain of myself if I were you. This is not some minor inconvenience to you. If Carnival (indeed all cruise lines) don't want to stand behind any flight plans made through a service they provide or promote, (even if it's not Carnival per se providing the flights), then they should not offer them or the service. Plain and simple. It must be nice to offer a service and then say "sorry, but we're not liable! I'm sorry folks....but cruise lines and their ilk get away with this type of behavior because WE allow them to. Be the squeaky wheel Racemedic. Personally, I'd like to see you tell every cruise board there is...and let Carnival know you are doing it. Maybe the thought of some bad publicity might help nudge them along a bit. I agree that there are some who like to complain about every tiny little thing, who feel everything is owed them and feel they should be treated royally by the cruise lines, but that is NOT what's happening here. I'm one of those who feel that in this case, you do deserve some compensation. Asking for 20% off on your next cruise is not asking too much. If Carnival were smart, they'd rather have you cruise with them at a discount, then go to another line and possibly never cruise with them again. I have never understood bad customer service.

So, with all this being said, I will be cruising Carnival for the first time next month. Thankfully, It is only a short 3 night-er...and I get to drive to the port! This thread has given me something to think about though. Next year, some of my family members want to do the Mexican Riviera, and we will be joining them, We are doing that exact one this year, but on Royal Caribbean (in a few months), I thought about going on Carnival next year to change things up, but now I'm just going to rebook on RCCL. So....Carnival has just lost about 5 rooms that would have been booked.

Food for thought...... I have to wonder how all those who are sticking up for Carnival would feel if something like this actually happened to them. Before getting on here and blasting me.....REALLY think about your answer. Are you sure you would be OK with having no clothes for a few days? I know I wouldn't. Remember, it's easy to say what someone else should have done, but the lines aren't so clear when we have to walk in their shoes.

I am going to print and send this entire thread to Carnival. I hope others will also.

Most of you who say other lines would or have done it different are owned by Carnival. Again when you own a business you have to make decisions that will alienate some customers but allow other or most customers to use your services. We are talking about doing good for the few at a cost to the many. Yes I know if it was me I would be kicking and screaming to anyone who would listen. But to 99% (not an actual factual number) of us we benefit from them not giving in to something that they don't have complete or over 51% control. I know Carnival is the large evil big business but they are not AIG and if we want to keep cruising we need to understand the businees behind it. Yes they want us all to have a good time but if they lose money it all stops. If it was your business using another business (airlines) would you guarantee that business 100% at what it does or would you guarantee your business?

Most of you who say other lines would or have done it different are owned by Carnival. Again when you own a business you have to make decisions that will alienate some customers but allow other or most customers to use your services. We are talking about doing good for the few at a cost to the many. Yes I know if it was me I would be kicking and screaming to anyone who would listen. But to 99% (not an actual factual number) of us we benefit from them not giving in to something that they don't have complete or over 51% control. I know Carnival is the large evil big business but they are not AIG and if we want to keep cruising we need to understand the businees behind it. Yes they want us all to have a good time but if they lose money it all stops. If it was your business using another business (airlines) would you guarantee that business 100% at what it does or would you guarantee your business?

Then Carnival should get out of the business of booking Air if it's going to give them a Black Eye and lose the confidence of it's customers.

But didn't they have empathy and show goodwill by apologizing? We had a problem with the medical staff on Princess a few years ago. We weren't searching for a free cruise/OBC/a discount because our experience was so bad that we didn't want to go back. We alerted Princess to the problem (which could, potentially, cause them more problems). They wouldn't acknowledge it, or apologize for it. This went on for a month and we gave up.

Carnival apologized and the OP didn't think it was enough, so he wrote a second letter, then demanding compensation. I think that apology *is* a sign of goodwill, especially since it's so rare for a big corp to admit guilt to anything nowadays. And I think the OP did himself a disservice by demanding compensation if he wants his claims to be taken seriously.

You are so right. Apologize after the cruise. Dis them while on the cruise. Silly me.

Their luggage wasn't there due to CCL. Period. Their clothes, bought for the occasion weren't there. If they are wanting to give the guest the experince they claim, they would make the small gesture to compensate. Had that been done, we wouldn't be here butting heads.

Then Carnival should get out of the business of booking Air if it's going to give them a Black Eye and lose the confidence of it's customers.

Wow what a profound statement! They need to stop something that makes them lots of money because a small percentage has a problem. I guess my MBA was not what I paid for. Your right every business in America NO the World must stop everything making them money if one person is unhappy with it and you don't stop the company to make them happy. Forget about the bond holders and stock holders which represent retirement plans. Sorry as I said I would be mad as Hell if it happened to me but please how many flights do they book that arrive on time and everyong is happy. Stop and take a step back and look at this in the big picture. I don't mean to be sarcastic I know you are looking out for fellow passengers. But you need to understand business if they can't use the tools availablbe they would raise the prices for all of us. And if they raised the prices and more people stopped cruising then they would cancel cruises and we would have less choices. I know it doesn't sound like what we all want to hear but that is reality.

Archived