Anyone been to Sunset beach or Dzul-Ha?

crzjnke

We're looking for a place to snorkel/hang out close to port. We've been to Cozumel twice and have done ATV/ snorkel combo and just a reef snorkel. How is the snorkeling from either one of these beaches? We’re considering Paradise beach or Mr. Sanchos, but DH doesn’t like to just hang on the beach. Just not sure…any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

If you want good snorkeling, it won't be at a white sandy beach. Likewise, if you go to a nice sandy beach, you won't find good snorkeling. The fish like to hang out at rocky reefy areas.

Dzul-Ha has world class snorkeling, but don't expect a nice sandy beach. It's not a bad area though. The adjacent Corona beach (not really a beach) is a little nicer, but still has good snorkeling.

If you want good snorkeling, it's hard to go wrong with either Dzul-Ha or Corona Beach. Just take a taxi there.

Here are some good photos of Dzul-Ha

http://cozumelmexico.net/Dzul_Ha.html

Is it easy to get a taxi back from Corona Beach or Dzul-ha at around 6:00PM? I know Corona Beach snack stand closes then so if they were unable to call for us could we still find one on the road somewhere easy enough? Also do they have lockers to rent at Corona Beach? What time does the rental place close for renting snorkeling equipment? What is the time you have to return it by? THanks.

Don't worry, Wart,

Each time we have been to Dzul-Ha, or Corona beach, all we had to do was walk anywhere near the street, and within seconds a taxi would come to a screeching halt in a cloud of dust. The taxi drivers are eagar for business, beleive me, they will find you.

From what I remember, Corona Beach did not have lockers, but the waiter offered to watch our stuff with the understanding that we would tip him.

As for the closing times, remember they are on "Mexico" time, which means anything goes. But if they know that you have their equipment, I don't think they would leave without getting it back from you. Corona Beach and Dzul-Ha are both small operations. Everything is very informal there. But they are friendly and accomodating. I've always found it relaxing to go there. You can see a side of Mexico that you wouldn't see on a crowded excursion.

We visited the Money Bar on Dzul Ha last week. The cab fare for only 2 people was $7 but we had a van full of 9 so it was $18. On the way back they tried to charge us $25 since we had 9 instead of 8. I told them no as 2 of the passengers had to sit in the back of the van on no seats and I didn't see why it should be more to get back to port.

crzjnke,

It depends on which pier you are at, but someone posted a good link with taxi prices and it looks like it is $8/taxi.

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff313/mach_man/small%20bloggers/IMG_2927.jpg

The taxis do not have meters. You must confirm the fare before you get in the taxi, otherwise the driver may try to charge whatever he thinks you will pay. This may also sound strange, but it is *not* customary to tip the taxi driver in that part of Mexico.

We were just at the Money Bar on Dzul-Ha last week. Great place for hangin out -the snorkeling was OK. We had snorkeled here 5 years ago and remember it to be much better. We saw a lot of fish this time, but they didn't seem to be as colorful. Our kids had a little bit of difficulty with the current so we didn't go out as deep as we wanted, which may have affected our experience. We were in areas though, that several tour boats brought their paying snorkelers to, so we felt we got a bargain (free! as we had our own equipment). We did buy drinks and snacks and rented a life jacket for our 9-year old. Also rented a locker which was a nice convenience. The Money bar staff were very friendly with efficient service. It was a 5-10 minute cab ride, i think $8 each way for the 4 of us.

We're looking for a place to snorkel/hang out close to port. We've been to Cozumel twice and have done ATV/ snorkel combo and just a reef snorkel. How is the snorkeling from either one of these beaches? We’re considering Paradise beach or Mr. Sanchos, but DH doesn’t like to just hang on the beach. Just not sure…any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Archived