cell phones

i need some info on cell phone usage while on a med. cruise. do we have to do anything else but call our carrier. does anyone know how this works?

thanks loads

carol

There is a LOT of info on this on these boards...just type in cell phone in the search function..a lot of US cell phones do NOT work in Europe so make sure to check with your carrier as some of the newer phones may work.Also,the charge per mintue can vary greatly.Some people rent phones or buy them there..like I said..check the boards.

We have AT&T and add the world traveler plan ($5.99 per month) when we will be traveling out of the country. With this plan we use our regular phone (many, if not most, of AT&T's phones will work outside the US) and receive lower per minute rates (which are inclusive of roaming). It has worked well for us all over the world. When you get home you can call At&T and remove the plan.

If you have Verizon, someone on this board mentioned that they will loan you a phone for 30 days (you pay $9.99 for shipping and handling) and simply pay as you use it. I am not sure if I remember the charge...I think it said $1.29/minute, but I am not sure.

i need some info on cell phone usage while on a med. cruise. do we have to do anything else but call our carrier. does anyone know how this works?

thanks loads

carol

You will need a tri, or better, quad band phone with GSM (Tmobile and ATT are the primary US providers with the compatible technology)

We need more details on your trip and needs. Any U.S. cell phone will work while you are on the ship until it reaches a port. Verizon and ATT charge $2.49 a minute on calls from the ship. ATT $4.99.

A TRI band or Quad band phone will also work in Europe.

We need more details on your trip and needs. Any U.S. cell phone will work while you are on the ship until it reaches a port. Verizon and ATT charge $2.49 a minute on calls from the ship. ATT $4.99.

This is the first I have heard that Verizon will work on the ship! I only want to call home a few times to let everyone know I am alive and well. Are you positive about this or should I check with Verizon?

If you have the AT&T world traveler plan, the rate is $2.49 per minute on the ship.

This is the first I have heard that Verizon will work on the ship! I only want to call home a few times to let everyone know I am alive and well. Are you positive about this or should I check with Verizon?

On Verizon, they told me there would also be a roaming charge. It is better to use a phone card in port or email. Internet cafes are very reasonable, some are free if yu buy a drin. I read that on a thread.

I was told last month while on a cruise that you are also charged from the ship as you are connecting through their satellite system and have the charges that are posted in your room (approx. $8-9 per minute)??

You can use Verizon also when in San Juan, St. Thomas and St. John as they are US posessions, if you have the US national plan for all of the US.

My problem is I don't want to waste any time while at port making phone calls. We have alot to see in a limited amount of time! I think I will call verizon but I guess another alternative is to use the internet on board the ship. Would that be more cost effective?

:confused:

I did two Transatlantic b2b's in the last two years. Calls worked well. One the Westerdam and one the Constellation. You can use any Verizon phone on the ship (while out to sea) for $2.49 a minute. No $8 satellite charges, no special phone needed. I also travel with a GSM phone, it also works on ships at $2.49 a minute. The Internet is soooo slow I found it cheaper to just mnake a call back to the U.S.

Verizon says teh following:

"On a Cruise Ship: Verizon Wireless Cruise Ship Services enable you to make and receive calls while traveling on select cruise lines for a low rate of $2.49 a minute."

http://support.vzw.com/faqs/International%20Services%20and%20Roaming/faq_international_cdma_roaming.html#item2

I have used my cell phone in the ship before (T mobile GSM). While at sea you can use the phone and be charged ship's fee, but while at port, even if your are inside the ship, you are charged normal international roaming charges. As far as I know there is no ship connection fees (at least i did not pay for any).

I did two Transatlantic b2b's in the last two years. Calls worked well. One the Westerdam and one the Constellation. You can use any Verizon phone on the ship (while out to sea) for $2.49 a minute. No $8 satellite charges, no special phone needed. I also travel with a GSM phone, it also works on ships at $2.49 a minute. The Internet is soooo slow I found it cheaper to just mnake a call back to the U.S.

Verizon says teh following:

"On a Cruise Ship: Verizon Wireless Cruise Ship Services enable you to make and receive calls while traveling on select cruise lines for a low rate of $2.49 a minute."

http://support.vzw.com/faqs/International%20Services%20and%20Roaming/faq_international_cdma_roaming.html#item2

Thanks Fback!! That's exactly what I needed to know!

My problem is I don't want to waste any time while at port making phone calls. We have alot to see in a limited amount of time! I think I will call verizon but I guess another alternative is to use the internet on board the ship. Would that be more cost effective?

:confused:

We always use the Internet, we get on when a day at sea comes round. When no one else is in there it works pretty fast. We keep us with everyone and of course in an emergency they have all of our information on our ship, cabin, etc. and they can call us if necessary.

For those of you with an iPhone or Blackberry....Skype has recently announced Skype for iPhone (and Blackberry I think). It only requires a WiFi connection and you are good to go. Skype to Skype is free and Skype to landlines, even in North America is only about 2 cents a minute but you MUST purchase credits with Skype, in advance or enroll in their month unlimited calling plan. All told...a very inexpensive method of calling home, as long as you can get a wifi connection. I have been told wifi connections are pretty prevelent in Europe but even if one had to pay for wifi access, I still think it's cost effective.

Just my 2 cents....

As I recall, Skype type services are blocked while on the ship.

The last two times I was on a ship in in Europe the connection times on the Internet were so slow that many people complained. Some bought special plans by the minute and the slow Internet gobbled up their minutes. One time on the Constellation, the Internet guy posted a warning sign about the problems connecting.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you investigated renting a satellite phone? Cost is about $20-40/week. Usually the rates are around $1-$1.50/minute which is a lot but in comparison to the $3-5/min on a cell phone it is cheap. I have my own sat phone and bought a sim card on ebay so the rate is around $0.70. Then you have a phone everywhere. My wife needs to talk to our kids every day (they are young) and she loved it. You also get interesting looks from passengers on ship when you use it!!!:D

Telestial rents Sat phones for about $8.00 a day if you keep it from 6 to 25 days. Calls are $1.69 a minutes which is the cheapest way to call home from a cruise ship when a cruise ship is out to sea.

But consider this. While at sea, Verizon and ATT charge $2.49 a minute. A 14 day rental of a satellite phone is $112 plus the $1.69 a minute per call.

So 120 minutes of calls back to home from the ship will cost about $314 with a sat phone and only $290 using your existing Verizon or ATT phone.

For those of you with an iPhone or Blackberry....Skype has recently announced Skype for iPhone (and Blackberry I think). It only requires a WiFi connection and you are good to go. Skype to Skype is free and Skype to landlines, even in North America is only about 2 cents a minute but you MUST purchase credits with Skype, in advance or enroll in their month unlimited calling plan. All told...a very inexpensive method of calling home, as long as you can get a wifi connection. I have been told wifi connections are pretty prevelent in Europe but even if one had to pay for wifi access, I still think it's cost effective.

Just my 2 cents....

I use Skype several times a week and love it. Have it on my laptop. Used it while in Italy. Even with WiFi connect charges it is very economical. Have even used it on the ship (very slow connection at sea).

If you have Verizon, someone on this board mentioned that they will loan you a phone for 30 days (you pay $9.99 for shipping and handling) and simply pay as you use it. I am not sure if I remember the charge...I think it said $1.29/minute, but I am not sure.

I just called and ordered the phone from Verizon. I was told that the regular phone will work on the ship but the charge will be $2.49 a minute! With the loaner phone it will be about half that depending on which port you are in. I don't want to call alot but need it in case of emergencies so I think this is a good bet!

Archived