Aft cabins

slyfox0113

I just returned from a cruise on the Gem in March. We are thinking of repeating the cruise next March and were given a pretty good deal on an aft penthouse. The square footage is quite significant compared to the balcony we just had as well the balcony is much larger. My question and concern is I have been on four cruises but never been at the rear of the ship which is where cabins are. I would like some input if anyone has stayed in one were they pleased with their decision. My other option was a mini suite on Deck 11. Any comments would be appreciated.

I wanted to upgrade to a mini-suite for our Mexican Riveria cruse last month,but none were available. The next upgrade level was to a penthouse, AFt. That was the best decision that I have ever made with regrards to cruising. We loved the AFT cabin. Noise and movement was never a problem or concern. In fact, when we left the LA port, we didn't realize that we were sailing until we looked out the deck.:p True, it's a long walk to get to anything, but that's an opportunity to burn off some calories. The perks are well worth the upgrade. The cabin has more "elbow room". Having breakfast and lunch in Cagney's is a great perk. Getting on and off the ship is another. The only thing you have to be careful of, is the soot that accumulates on the deck's railing and sometimes on the lounge chairs covers. But, the cabin staff quickly clean it every morning. Do we love the aft cabins? Well, we're already booked for a Caribbean cruise on the Pearl for next year and we selected another AFT cabin. Do it; you won't regret it and once you do, you won't settle for anything less. ;)

I just returned from a cruise on the Gem in March. We are thinking of repeating the cruise next March and were given a pretty good deal on an aft penthouse. The square footage is quite significant compared to the balcony we just had as well the balcony is much larger. My question and concern is I have been on four cruises but never been at the rear of the ship which is where cabins are. I would like some input if anyone has stayed in one were they pleased with their decision. My other option was a mini suite on Deck 11. Any comments would be appreciated.

After I booked a cruise on the Star to the Mexican Riviera, I wanted to upgrade to a mini-suite. However, none of the minis were available. The next upgrade level was to a penthouse, AFT. Well, I tell ya, that was the best cruise decision that I have ever made.:D The noise and movement were never a concern or problem. In fact, when we left the LA port, we didn't even know we were already sailing, until we just happen to look out the deck's sliding doors. The perks are well worth the upgrade. Getting on and off the ship is one, eating breakfast and lunch in Cagney's is another. The extra room in the penthouse makes for a more enjoyable cruise. True, you are far from some of the restaurants, the theatre, etc but, it's a great way to burn off some calories, :p. A couple of cautions about the aft cabins: be careful of the soot that accumulates on the railing and on the chaise lounge covers. This happened almost every morning, but, the cabin staff cleaned this off each morning. Also, the smell of baking bread will drive you crazy. Is the upgrade to a penthouse AFT worth it. I think so; be careful, once you do, what they say is true, you won't settle for anything less. We're booked for a Caribbean cruise on the Pearl for next year. We grabbed a penthouse AFT again. Can't wait. Happy Cruising.

I showed a picture of Dawn aft balcony we will on in a few weeks to my husband last night and I had zoomed in and boy oh boy I think he is now showing a little excitement! lol It was like we were on the balcony already. I'm not worried about a thing!! (well, just one thing, but since we had the noro-virus on the last cruise.........):mad:

I know its going to be awesome in the aft!!!:D

I have the back of the ship as my screen saver here at work and on one of my computers at home.;)

Counting the days.

Those stern cabins are some of the PRIME real estate on the ship and everyone tries to bag them, I just got one of the stern AE suites on the Star with the side wrap balcony.

They are a bit of a hike to stuff and sometimes you feel a bit more motion or vibration but most people love Stern cabins.

When are you going? We also booked the AE with the wraparound! We had a stern last year and loved it!

I wanted to upgrade to a mini-suite for our Mexican Riveria cruse last month,but none were available. The next upgrade level was to a penthouse, AFt. That was the best decision that I have ever made with regrards to cruising. We loved the AFT cabin. Noise and movement was never a problem or concern. In fact, when we left the LA port, we didn't realize that we were sailing until we looked out the deck.:p True, it's a long walk to get to anything, but that's an opportunity to burn off some calories. The perks are well worth the upgrade. The cabin has more "elbow room". Having breakfast and lunch in Cagney's is a great perk. Getting on and off the ship is another. The only thing you have to be careful of, is the soot that accumulates on the deck's railing and sometimes on the lounge chairs covers. But, the cabin staff quickly clean it every morning. Do we love the aft cabins? Well, we're already booked for a Caribbean cruise on the Pearl for next year and we selected another AFT cabin. Do it; you won't regret it and once you do, you won't settle for anything less. ;)

We looked at the "long" walk as an opportunity for a little exercise too....actually, no matter where your cabin is, there is a walk to get where you are going and different ships have different layouts...you can't be close to everything you just have to be concerned about what you are close to and what interests you!

I think it is more quiet in the aft too...you don't have folks walking by your cabin at all hours...only your "neighbors" ;)

As far as soot...never saw any! Not saying it doesnt happen, but didnt experience it.

In the end, the suite perks are so worth it! JMHO!

We looked at the "long" walk as an opportunity for a little exercise too....actually, no matter where your cabin is, there is a walk to get where you are going and different ships have different layouts...you can't be close to everything you just have to be concerned about what you are close to and what interests you!

I think it is more quiet in the aft too...you don't have folks walking by your cabin at all hours...only your "neighbors" ;)

As far as soot...never saw any! Not saying it doesnt happen, but didnt experience it.

In the end, the suite perks are so worth it! JMHO!

I agree 100% with what you say. What were/are your favorite perks??

[/color]

I agree 100% with what you say. What were/are your favorite perks??

Definately eating in Cagney's for breakfast and lunch!

The invite to the VIP party was really nice! Hmmm.....the wonderful Concierge and being able to make a weeks worth of dinner reservations! The flowers, the bottle of bubbly, the treats each night, the extra cabin room, the bath tub......:D

Susan

Definately eating in Cagney's for breakfast and lunch!

The invite to the VIP party was really nice! Hmmm.....the wonderful Concierge and being able to make a weeks worth of dinner reservations! The flowers, the bottle of bubbly, the treats each night, the extra cabin room, the bath tub......:D

Susan

Now I am really excited, I didn't even realize there were all these perks. What else have I been missing?

slyfox0113 - I sure hope you enjoy your aft and that the info shared here helped. It DEFINITELY helped me. After looking at the deck plans, cabin locations etc, I am going to KEEP my aft BA and enjoy Alaska. DH agrees and says he absolutely positively does not want a butler or anybody else fussing over him. He wants to be left alone. On the contrary, I think I could get used that QUICKLY but he's the boss. ;) As I've said a thousand times, thax to everyone here for taking the time to answer questions and give opinions. I know that some of US can be real pains in the :eek: with all the questions.

slyfox0113 - I sure hope you enjoy your aft and that the info shared here helped. It DEFINITELY helped me. After looking at the deck plans, cabin locations etc, I am going to KEEP my aft BA and enjoy Alaska. DH agrees and says he absolutely positively does not want a butler or anybody else fussing over him. He wants to be left alone. On the contrary, I think I could get used that QUICKLY but he's the boss. ;) As I've said a thousand times, thax to everyone here for taking the time to answer questions and give opinions. I know that some of US can be real pains in the :eek: with all the questions.

Aside from the butler and concierge there are SO MANY other perks for the AA-AE. (AF?)

NEVER let them think their the boss!!! lol

Enjoy the aft in Alaska. I know it will be awesome!

Pickels,

were you in a wrap aound deck one or a more center one? did you notice if there was a stairway next to the outer corner cabins? I mean one with a door, not the usual open guest type.

Also do you have any pictures of the decor of your cabin? I have some old pictures but I suspect they have changed the whole look of them since then and I wondered what it is now. The old ones were gorgeous.

We will be in a aft cabin on the sky and now I am worried there might be a bad smell? Has anybody had this happen to them on there cruise?

In our aft cabins (Jewel & Gem) we never encountered any bad smells, in fact quite the opposite. The bakery must have been somewhere directly below because the smell of cinnamon rolls and bread baking was quite strong. Just what I need something to make me hungrier on a cruise.:D

Pickels,

were you in a wrap aound deck one or a more center one? did you notice if there was a stairway next to the outer corner cabins? I mean one with a door, not the usual open guest type.

Also do you have any pictures of the decor of your cabin? I have some old pictures but I suspect they have changed the whole look of them since then and I wondered what it is now. The old ones were gorgeous.

We were in the cabin next to the wrap around and we didn't notice any stairway. I have a couple of pics; do you know how to upload them here.

Or, if you'd like,what's your e-mail address; I can attach them there.

bob pic

Now I am really excited, I didn't even realize there were all these perks. What else have I been missing?

Apparently you get first dibs on tender tickets if you are in a port that requires it (not necessary on our Alaska cruise), I have heard there are reserved rows in the theater for the shows, you get into the chocolate buffet about a half hour before the general public, more choices on the room service menu. ;):D

Susan

The butler will not fuss over you unless you ask for it....we actually didn't see ours very much, although he was the one who brought our treats each evening.

The concierge was worth her weight in gold! We had Simone, who is simply wonderful!! Unfortunately she will not be on our sailing (boo hoo) because she is on vacation until the June 13th sailing.

She was extrememly helpful with reservations and any problems we had.

In our aft cabins (Jewel & Gem) we never encountered any bad smells, in fact quite the opposite. The bakery must have been somewhere directly below because the smell of cinnamon rolls and bread baking was quite strong. Just what I need something to make me hungrier on a cruise.:D

Ditto on the Star! The bread aroma was just hevenly!!

Susan

The aft is awesome and so is having a suite! Hubby and I have been discussing what we should do should the upsell fairy call us before our cruise in December and we still haven't quite decided because we think it would have to be an awesome upgrade before giving up the AE we booked.

The aft is so wonderful....it's peaceful and serene. I especially loved going out to sit later in the evening. We loved the option of the concierge and butler. We had treats every afternoon and Erlindo kept a nice supply of the limon tea for me when he found out I liked it. Virginia was a big help as well with the reservations and so forth. The butler and concierge have to be tipped so it is a little more money that you have to get off of and being the middle class people that we are, we have to save for those expenses, but they are worth it to us. Prepare to be spoiled! :)

To decruzer.....we were Aft on the Sky back in October when there was a lot of hoo ha around here about odors here and there. There were none in the Aft area.

I wanted to upgrade to a mini-suite for our Mexican Riveria cruse last month,but none were available. The next upgrade level was to a penthouse, AFt. That was the best decision that I have ever made with regrards to cruising. We loved the AFT cabin. Noise and movement was never a problem or concern. In fact, when we left the LA port, we didn't realize that we were sailing until we looked out the deck.:p True, it's a long walk to get to anything, but that's an opportunity to burn off some calories. The perks are well worth the upgrade. The cabin has more "elbow room". Having breakfast and lunch in Cagney's is a great perk. Getting on and off the ship is another. The only thing you have to be careful of, is the soot that accumulates on the deck's railing and sometimes on the lounge chairs covers. But, the cabin staff quickly clean it every morning. Do we love the aft cabins? Well, we're already booked for a Caribbean cruise on the Pearl for next year and we selected another AFT cabin. Do it; you won't regret it and once you do, you won't settle for anything le

That is exactly what my DH is afraid of I will completely spoiled and settle for nothing less. To me a cruise is all about being pampered and total relaxation for one week, so I am sure I have made the right choice and paid my deposit today. I asked them to send me list of amenities associated with AE penthouse cabin, this will be my fifth cruise, I can't believe it took me this long to figure it out

Your right we can all be a little bit overbearing with all our questions but I look at it as everyone is on these boards to share their knowledge and experiences because we all love cruising. Everyones comments on these boards helped me to make my decision and I did book today and I am with you 100% I could get used to being fussed over luckily so will my DH. Happy Cruising

Archived