Destiny Review 4/2-6

edvanp

Just back from a very nice family vacation on the Destiny. A quick review and some random thoughts:

-Flew in the night before and stayed at the Embassy Suites-Airport. The hotel shuttle picked us up after a 10 minute wait. Not bad at all. Took about 40 minutes to get our luggage from the time we landed until it appeared. Embassy Suites was nice. Had a good dinner on site and a nice breakfast the next day.

-Took a cab at 11am to the Port of Miami. It was $26 and took roughly 20 minutes. Boarding the ship took maybe half an hour at the most. Very smooth and efficient, hardly any waiting.

-Left Miami at 4pm and headed to Key West. We had two rooms, 6115 (inside) and 6117 (outside with a balcony). The balcony was well worth it!

-We had the early dinning and ate there all four nights. Food was very good! We also had breakfast there every day and it too was very good.

-Noonan was our cruise director and he's a hoot. Lots of energy and a funny guy.

-Key West was nice, maybe a little short. We mainly walked around. Went to the Marker at the furthest place south, took a picture walked back and shopped.

-Cozumel was ok. My kids, 16 & 17, did the snorkling, rock climbing, repelling deal and loved it. The wife and I did a little shopping and some walking.

-My daughter spent a lot of time in the Teen section of the kids club (16-17 yr olds). She met some nice people and enjoyed this a lot.

-We took in 3 of the 4 shows and enjoyed them.

-Beer on tap was Heineken and Amstel light. We didn't try to sneak any booze on board. It appears they went through our luggage based on how our clothes looked when we opened our suitcases.

-The fitness/workout area is nice. My son & I worked out twice and both times it was fairly busy.

-The day at see was nice. Not too busy or crazy. Since it was NCAA basketball weekend, they showed the MSU vs U-Conn & Villy vs UNC games on the big screen TV up top. A lot of people enjoyed that.

-We docked at 7am on Monday. We had breakfast (seated) at 7:45 and took our time leaving. We had a 3:55pm flight, so we were in no rush. When we did leave, at 9am, it took us 20 minutes from the time we left the ship until we caught a cab. There is a set price of $24 from the ship to the airport.

All in all, it was a great vacation. The Destiny is a nice ship and I have a feeling my kids will want to do this next spring break. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Ed

Archived