Muster Drill

CrownGal

So you have cruised before, and still posted the first question with which you began this thread? Sorry, but that's very hard to believe -- anyone who has already taken even one cruise knows darned well that muster drill is mandatory -- the ship closes down -- the endless PA announcements -- the crew is at the drill -- and everyone stands at the drill waiting for those few who didn't show up, until they are accounted for.

I've sailed seven different cruiselines, two of them owned by Carnival Corp (as is Princess), and on ALL of them some form of attendance was taken at muster drill -- either you reported in to a crew member and were checked off, or a crew member looked at the cabin number on your lifejacket and checked you off. So you are saying that Princess doesn't take some form of attendance at muster drill, and Princess passengers are free to blow it off? :rolleyes:

Well obviously my naivety on this subject reflects my lack of experience, would you not say? I asked a question about are they mandatory. One cruise does not make you an expert. In fact, I was late getting down and no one tracked me down and no one took my name. I was posting this question because I wanted to find out, due to the lack of tracking down and name taking from my prior experience, was it mandatory. I also found in my cabin I could not always hear the announcements very clearly.

Do you go to the muster drill? It's not mandatory, is it?

It is mandatory! They will know if you don't show up and you'll still have to do one. Key Point: if you don't show up, you hold up everyone else because you're not "checked-off". If everyone shows up promptly, the drill will be complete and everyone dismissed in a timely manner. :p

Yikes. What ship?
Prinsendam 1980. We were impressed with how seriously HAL took the Muster Drill on our cruise and it apparently paid off on the next as everyone was successfully able to abandon ship in the Gulf of Alaska. We continue to sail on HAL and attend each and every muster drill.

There are a lot of negative, uncalled for comments on this thread. I would like to refer certain people to the guidelines of this site:

Cruise Critic is committed to providing an online environment that is free from these types of harassing postings. Please, don't attack another poster or group of posters. Do not harass, threaten, embarrass, or do anything else to another member that is unwanted. This means: don't say bad things about them, don't keep sending them unwanted Instant Message notes, don't attack their race, heritage, or their sexual orientation, etc.

Archived